The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
weim55

Need pic(s) and info of original rear sport bumper

Wanting to add one of these to my completely stock '69 CST20. I found many pics of these on trucks but I'm not sure the positioning is OEM. Apparently gravel guards go between the bed panel and the bumper but I sure don't see 'em in any of the pics(?) Can any of you show a pic of correct positioning on an original truck and answer the question of the gravel guards?

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
elorenzof

Re: Need pic(s) and info of original rear sport bumper

I happen to have Phyllis in our shop. here are some pics from her i hope this helps? also LMCtruck.com has a drawing of the placement to help if you look for rear bumper you'll see them pretty easy.
Attached Images

elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

This may help regarding the shields. Be sure to click the included link in SS Tim's post #5 also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=586426
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
weim55

Great information everyone, that answers my question on the gravel guards. On my ‘65 C10 The gravel guards are completely visible and even painted body color, so I had in my head maybe the 67/72s are also supposed to be visible. Apparently not. So my second question is bumper placement : The pictures I’ve seen show the bumper tucked tighter to the bed and tailgate then I thought might be original. Is this picture about right for the distance between the top of the bumper and the bed? Then how far down should the bumper be below the tailgate?

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
weim55

Found this picture of what I believe to be a very original 69CST with factory sport bumper. Does this placement look correct ( not too high? ) ? And is the panel below the tailgate body color or blacked out with a factory sport bumper?
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

There probably aren't many out there that are original since rear bumpers were an option and a large percentage had factory or aftermarket step bumpers. I am somewhat reluctant to post a picture of mine since the bumper, brackets and gravel shields are repros. However, since mine looks pretty close to the picture you posted, below is the best picture I can find of mine. I'm not near the truck to take measurements, but I'd estimate the top of the bumper is 3/8" to 1/2" below the taillight bezels and about about the same from the bed. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual factory mounting was slightly farther from the bed.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote