The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #76
Moose Monkey

Re: SWB 4x4 was totaled. Now what? Can I get it back?

The fight is well worth the outcome.everyone here is coming together feeling your pain, giving good info, and are stepping up to the front line with that personal hands on help. Heart beat of America. That's what all you good people are about.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #77
jjzepplin

I think you had a real nice truck there! Good find! I probably would do what I did in my case which I think is what you said. Take the truck and the money and use the money to fix the truck. Also ask them not to total the truck as you will be fixing it back to glory.
Maybe a little bondo here and there but minimal and we all have a bit of spot putty anyway if we have nice trucks. Even if you have to have the roof re-skinned it will be a very nice truck again!
Keep it and fix it. Just a shame this happened...
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #78
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
This is just me looking at the pics, but I don't think the truck has original paint. Everywhere there appears to be paint flecks missing there looks to be gray primer underneath? The most obvious spot is the damaged bedside, but I can't tell if that's paint transfer from the trailer or paint cracked off from the damage?

Even on the firewall there appears to be a large paint chip with gray behind it?

Again, could just be the pics, I just can't tell, but almost every "out west" truck ever posted with original paint has some kind of paint wear through somewhere where the original red oxide or black primer is showing. This truck is so clean and straight (even with the damage) she deserves a clean repaint, especially if it's not original
I agree with the repaint. At his point I think a total repaint is in order. I did not want to do that.I have three other trucks with original paint, and I like that. Good repaints cost $$$.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #79
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Monkey View Post
The fight is well worth the outcome.everyone here is coming together feeling your pain, giving good info, and are stepping up to the front line with that personal hands on help. Heart beat of America. That's what all you good people are about.
Moose, I could not agree with you more. I have confidence this will all work out in a good way-- I just cannot see exactly how that will happen right now. I guess that is what having faith is all about-- believing it will all be OK even when things are a mess. All you fine contributors give me a lot of hope and support!--George
Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #80
MP&C

George, I agree with earlier comments, you need to challenge adjuster to justify his basis of value by finding COMPARABLE vehicle priced as he said. If he can do that, perhaps that would be an option, to go after the one not needing as much work. Now, having said that, we all know he's blowing smoke up your ass. He can either find one that is for sale for what he says is the value, or increase the amount of value on your truck. Has the adjuster yet sent you pictures of the damage that "totals" the truck in his view? Likely not, as he's trying to keep you in the dark.

I agree that someone is trying to make off with this truck. The roof looks like the PITA part due to the double wall. If the fenders and quarter are as solid as they appear, then I'd lean toward dent repair of the original. As far as an estimate, I normally use time and materials for all my rust repairs as it always tends to escalate the more you dig, and I stay away from insurance companies like the plague. I think Hugger6933 would be a better choice for giving you an estimate as it is more in his background.. Good luck with this, whatever you decide..
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #81
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That is a nice truck and it's in fantastic shape for surviving a transport rollover crash.

I can't help but think that there's a chance that somebody in this whole fiasco (insurance or shipping co.) that knows the rarity of that rig and is working this to their advantage to either turn a profit or keep it for themselves.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #82
Coley

Smile Re: SWB 4x4 was totaled. Now what? Can I get it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
looks like someone is trying to scoop that up from under you to me
I agree. I think someone, somewhere is or was trying to get you to blindly sign off on it being wrecked....then they would step in and buy it from the lot for a song as a 'wreck' or equivalent.
Maybe someone in the 'insurance loop' has been keeping an eye out for a nice rebuilder or classic truck 4wd or otherwise??.....you never know but someone is suspiciously out to lunch on the initial/opening assessment.

Regardless, there is nowhere near enough damage on that vehicle to write it off....and I certainly agree with the value assessments on it from some of other members.

This might just turn out well in the long run if you get a reasonable settlement on the damage.

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #83
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The one thing George has going for him is he has been in contact of the owner of the towing company. Barney told George no one will be taking the truck without the approval of George. That is a good thing right there. Other wise the insurance company could try to have the upper hand in the situation.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #84
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That's good news!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #85
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
The one thing George has going for him is he has been in contact of the owner of the towing company. Barney told George no one will be taking the truck without the approval of George. That is a good thing right there. Other wise the insurance company could try to have the upper hand in the situation.
I have to agree with Coley and Gasoline71. I sometimes wonder if someone is trying to pull a fast one to try and get their hands on this truck. I would like to think better of folks in general but sometimes i wonder. I know that Barney, the guy who owns the wrecker service asked me for my phone number because he told me that if anyone shows up at his place and tries to move my truck he won't do anything without calling me first, and he sure isn't going to allow anyone to touch the truck unless they have the title in hand (or he hears from me first). And I have the title with my name on it. Right now Ryan is the only one who has my permission to be doing anything with my truck. I think it is in a pretty safe situation.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #86
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I've seen SWB 4 x 4's trucks on Craigslist with wubbies and dents like on your truck and they ask 8/10,000 for them.
Hello Already Gone, I agree with you. If you see any ads out there that I could use for comparison to show the adjuster i would sure appreciate knowing about them. The adjuster wants me to prove the value of my truck by submitting ads. I told them that would be pretty hard to do since very few unmolested original SWB 4x4s come up for sale. Most are either restored to a high degree, or rusty to a high degree. Hard to find something in this type of condition so I could use any ads or suggestions you come up with-- especially Craigslist ads. Thanks, george
Old 06-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #87
Boog
laying low

So how did your last conversation with the adjuster go?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #88
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
So how did your last conversation with the adjuster go?
It has been days since I heard from the adjuster but today he finally wrote this following message:
"I have reached out to the insurer regarding an independent evaluation of your truck. Stand by."

The crazy thing is that this guy, named Alan Clark btw, is already the independent adjuster hired by the insurance company to do all the appraisals for this wreck. He works for a huge company out of Atlanta that specializes in tractor trailer wrecks. So now he is telling me he is asking the insurance company to have an independent evaluation done? I thought that was his job. Makes me wonder. Seems like maybe this guy is starting to realize this is something he knows nothing about? I don't know. The mystery goes on. Good thing I am patient. It will all work out somehow!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #89
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Not a short bed but a 70 in Nevada.

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6165624825.html

A 2wd 70

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6130538331.html

The whole deal about the adjuster wanting ads shown to him with similar trucks for sale is bogus. Just because they are for sale for X amount doesn't mean they sold for that. You could use the original ad from your truck George. That is proof that the truck sold for X amount. Anyone could doctor up ads to show something is worth a certain amount IMO. It just seems weird to me. The adjuster will find out how rare the 70 K10 short bed is if he tries to find another for sale in similar condition. (Pre roll over)
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #90
v30crewcab

you can look on ebay, at trucks that have already sold, and check the values that way.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #91
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
you can look on ebay, at trucks that have already sold, and check the values that way.
Good suggestion. I tried that but not easy to compare apples to apples. Plenty of Longbeds, and most of the shortbeds have been restored. But still, a good suggestion. That is where I usually turn to first to get a realistic value of anything.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #92
painterljp

Then there is going to be what part of country are they using where truck is or where it is going. Zip code's I guess. They are worth more here than there. Just from Experience they won't use Craigslist ads. They say no proof of what they sold for. I would be asking to get an actual classic truck appraisal guy out there . Paid for by you!! Like the people that go out before you insure your truck with Hagerty and actually appraise it. If you pay for it and it comes back to low you wouldn't have to tell them what is appraised for but usually since you are the one paying they make sure high appraisal and most of them know where to find similar values that the insurance companies can argue with. Maybe diesel wrencher knows where to find one of those guys there and how much it would cost. Appraisals here are around 200 bucks though but may be worth it in long run. And they can write it up as before the wreck and after. Your not going to get an accurate appraisal from the insurance. Just a thought.

I am in with the rest of you all that somebody involved wants that truck and it ain't just you.
Good luck!!! Keep us posted.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #93
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I had some time toady so did some nation wide Craigs List searching. There are not very many SWB 4 x 4's in any configuration for sale in the whole Country.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6159350923.html

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/6137887618.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6117874799.html

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/6141430376.html

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #94
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I had some time toady so did some nation wide Craigs List searching. There are not very many SWB 4 x 4's in any configuration for sale in the whole Country.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6159350923.html

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/6137887618.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6117874799.html

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/6141430376.html
Hello Already Gone! Wow! You must have spent some time on those searches. I would not mind owning all 4 of them. Nice to see that they are still out there, and 3 of them for less than $10k. I am going to copy these and keep them on hand "just in case". This really helps me out! As you say, not many for sale in the whole country. In 1970, the year mine was made, Chevy made only 2.554 in the wideside configuration. I feel fortunate to have a "survivor", and I mean to use that term literally!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #95
Moose Monkey

I m still praying.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #96
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Monkey View Post
I m still praying.
I am with you MM. That is what is keeping me sane so far. That and all the help He sent my way.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 AM   #97
Mint68

I think the price of what people are asking has gotten way out of line, so craigslist ads have no bearing on a real price. Its really too bad that happened, that looks like a pretty nice truck.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #98
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint68 View Post
I think the price of what people are asking has gotten way out of line, so craigslist ads have no bearing on a real price. Its really too bad that happened, that looks like a pretty nice truck.
Thanks Mint: I agree with you about the asking prices seen everywhere. It is not easy to find a reasonable deal any more. I was only willing to search CL in order to show the adjuster how it is NOT easy to find a comparable truck. There are a lot of trucks out there, but fewer 4x4s and even fewer SWB 4x4 to choose from. I think and hope the adjuster is doing his homework over again. I have not heard from him for awhile.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #99
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieb51 View Post
Thanks Mint: I agree with you about the asking prices seen everywhere. It is not easy to find a reasonable deal any more. I was only willing to search CL in order to show the adjuster how it is NOT easy to find a comparable truck. There are a lot of trucks out there, but fewer 4x4s and even fewer SWB 4x4 to choose from. I think and hope the adjuster is doing his homework over again. I have not heard from him for awhile.
In these situations ... be the aggressor but a nice way. You are the customer and they work for you. So far looks like a lot of positive things in your favor.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #100
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
In these situations ... be the aggressor but a nice way. You are the customer and they work for you. So far looks like a lot of positive things in your favor.
I made two calls today and made no progress. I am just letting folks know that I am still alive. I amazed that there are people in the "system" that I have talked to before who still have no idea that I am going to keep this truck no matter what. I spoke with a lady from the carrier's insurance company today that said my truck would definitely go to a salvage auction. I had to reminder her that that is not going to happen-- that there is no way I am going to let this truck go. I had to be firm but not rude. I feel as if I have to hit them on the head with the same message over and over: "The truck is mine and I am keeping it"! I am reaching to the choir on this site!