The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
OrrieG

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

Don't know, I will be out of town the week before that visiting my grandkids, could probably slip away for an afternoon or evening. I will subscribe to the other thread. Thanks for the heads up.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
OrrieG

Got home and the 3 groove pulley I needed has arrived. Guy even cleaned it up before shipping so all I have to do is scuff and paint. Now I can button up the front end of the engine. Need to fab an ac bracket, but need the dims for a Sanden 508 compressor (post in main message forum).

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-17-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Wheelie

Google Sanden 508 Compressor Dimensions under Image search. I found it but you can only see the preview. If you click on it they try to charge you but you can still make out the dimensions.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
OrrieG

Thanks wheelie, I missed that in my search.

Today was good and bad. Bad is my 3 groove pulley does not fit, contrary to 3 places on different GM messages boards that said SB and BB are the same. I need PN 3972180 or 14023148, should have done more research. If anyone needs a 68-74 BB 3 groove crank pulley (used with a/c option) PN 3937787 I have one!

Good is I got the back bumper extra holes welded up (PO had 56 car poorly fitted bumper guards) and scuffed with 80 grit for etch priming. Cleaned up the back side of it and painted it with rattle can Rustoleum in grey. Will spray undercoat after final paint. It had one pretty good dent that took an hour with an old school 2# ball peen hammer and cold chisel to move close to flush. Don't try that on your new truck. Sounded like a busy black smith shop when the calvary is in town. Cleaned up and painted the steering stabilizer. Fabbed and bracket for the trailer connector. Cleaned and painted aforementioned pulley. Also got the inside windshield/dash trip primed, working towards painting it, bumpers, door insides and grille insert in a couple of weeks the same color as the interior.

Here is a photo of the pulley for grins, you can see its 1/2 pulley width to close to crank. Also a photo of the modified front bumper bracket, in a previous post I mentioned that the steering box covers the hole. I modifed it to take the place of one of the box mounting shims. Lots of trial and error, thank goodness for a welder, cut off wheel and grinder!
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
OrrieG

Slow easy weekend, cleaned up the shop and got a few things done. Front steering stabilzer cleaned, painted and installed. Oil pressure line, did it twice, got the first one installed and found a kink that with vibration would start leaking. Wanted to keep it out of sight as much as possible. Also installed the auto trans kick down bracket. Mocked up a bracket solution for the ac. Big thank you to Tmoble for getting be photos and dimensions for the compressor.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
drivea55

I really like how your oil pressure line turned out! That looks really nice, that is one of the next few things on my list for sure!

Brian

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
OrrieG

Second time was the charm. Painted and installed the valve covers, included a before shot too. Also installed the 3 groove bottom pulley (thanks to CustomBrad) found out I need to change out the upper from 7" to 6.25". Modifed the alternator bracket for the third time to move it one groove back on the pulleys, I thought the third groove extended in front of the standard two but it actually add one closer to the engine. Also dug out the grill and cowl top vent to start sanding.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Kim57

Looking good OrrieG.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
trucktony

I came up an old photo I had stored on the comp.
It would be a real upgrade to your truck in his before resto
I had to share it with you

Love your truck in his old skin
gone make mine that way

keep up the good work
love all of your modifications

"ït looked like a truck that was beaten with a tirearm"
Attached Images

trucktony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
OrrieG

The teal one looks like it might be a NAPCO. Serious front bumper. I just sold my winch because I could not get it to work with cutting up the stock bumper. Am going to just mount a receiver in the front for a portable I can use on the front or back depending on which end is in trouble!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

I would love to have that 57, and im no expert but it does look look a napco.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
OrrieG

Saturday was a good day. Went to Emmett swap meet and car show and scored the water pump pulley I needed for $5. When I got back home, picked up the grandson so he could help a little. Last week he mentioned to my wife that he might want to learn some auto stuff. I gave him a quick shop safety class (eyes, ears, fumes and hands) then turned him loose on the wire wheel to clean up the pulley. After that we painted and installed it. Then had him clean off the turn signal trim, needed laquer thinner to get old paint over spray off.
Finally let him buff out the big parts so he could see how a little work turns crud to bling. Here are some photos of him and the pulley. I hope it sticks with him, I enjoyed the company and fact I got twice as much done! Today just stripping paint off the grill insert and paintingt the inner turn signal lamp holders.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Kim57

Cool stuff OrrieG.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
bajabob

Orrie
Been awhile since I caught up with your work.... lookin good. Your making great progress.... wish I would have known about your winch, I might have been interested in it .... Good job with the GS... Some of the best memories of my granddad were working with him in his shop.... He messed around with rocks, but it taught me how with a little patients you could turn something ugly into something cool...
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
kustombrad

Looking good! You keep up that pace, you'll be done before me! Glad you were able to find an upper pulley and got that part out of the way! Keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=320546
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #16
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Too bad we did not get together at the Emmett show , I was looking for you,
I pm'd you my Cell number , just not in enough time for you to get it..
Nice score on the pulley, I struck out and did not buy one thing..
Maybe next time...

Good job on getting your grandson involved.. my daughter went with me to the Emmett night cruise and we were pleased that the younger generation was cruising around in older iron and not just in rice rockets. Good to know the traditions will live on....

Last edited by bubba327; 07-17-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
OrrieG

Progress. 4 trips to the store to get the right fan belts, Goldilocks syndrom too small, too big, just right.... Also got the ac brackets fabed up and choke set up. I am using a q-jet with divorce coil type. I have about an hour and a half in getting the little rod bent just right, had to make three tries at it. I might get this thing fired up in a couple of weeks! Here are some detailed photos of my alternator and power steering mount, a member has asked for some detail. The ps mounts of the exhaust bolt and uses a long water pump with the bolt thru bracket receiver(??). Alternator uses ramhorn sbc maniford with boss for generator bracket with another angle to push it forward.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
57 3100

looking real good OrrieG, im liking the fab work...
i HOPE to have my alternator mounted today. i too have been running back and forth to the auto parts store to get the correct length belt. LOL. hope i got the right one this time.
question, on your alternator bottom through hole, did you notice some play before tightening up the bolt ? mine uses a .375 bolt and the hole in the alternator and bracket is .400, so there's .030 slop there..... im thinking of drilling the alternator and bracket holes to .437 and using a 7/16, .437 bolt to get rid of that slop...

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
OrrieG

I just used a 3/8" bolt (.375") with enough washers to get a tight interference fit between the alt support ears. It did have some slop, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if it tightens down. It allows for some adjustment to make sure the Alt is square to the pulleys and parallel to the engine long axis, you just need to sneak up on the tightening to make sure it is not torqued out of place. I built the same adjustments into the ac bracket, as shown it is parallell and square to the block and pulleys too. Wish I had the compressor so I could finish it up.

There were 400+ cars at a show I went to last week and you would not believe how many had misaligned pulleys. Tough on belts, bearings and prone to tossing belts at high RPM, especially if you have long runs like I do.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #20
57 3100

hello again OrrieG...
got my alternator swap completed and you can check out the pics here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...30#post4808230

i went ahead and drilled out the bottom pivot hole in the alternator and bracket to .437, 7/16 and that took care of my slop in that area.... being a novice machinist i always like tight fits. LOL.

now i gotta order my a/c unit soon.... cant wait..
take care.

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Daze57

lookin good orrie - one step @ a time - i been doin that for years - finally got some light @ the end of my rebuild world
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
OrrieG

Spent the day wrestling with the carb and throttle linkage. Assisted by my Grandson, today he used the die cuttoff wheel for the first time and learned how to use a threading die. Carb drove me crazy, could not get the secondaries to open. Thought it might be misalignment of throttle plates and manifold, it is a dual plane and carb need to be spaced just right. Turned out to be the gasket was sticking out rubbing on some of the choke/secondary linkage. A little trim and we good to go. Took a while to get the geometry of the throttle linkage right, Q-jet is in much different location than the old Rochester 2GC I was running on the 283. The part thru the firewall is a stock Chevy part, I can't remember if I got it out of a wrecking yard off a 50's car or if it came on the 62 donor truck I had in 85. Here are pics of it on the bench and installed.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #23
trucktony

It looks a like throttle linkage from a 60-66 chevy truck
the original has a rod through the firewall and is mounted to the firewall on the outside with two 1/4 bolts.
The rod has a round end that you can push in to your footpedal
It also contains a small lever that holds the gasrod in a certain position via your throttle knob/cable on the dash.
I use it as a cruisecontrol on the highway
But I think it was used to get the engine warm or for a PTO use
normaly on 6 cil. you use it to start the engine when you use the footstarter,and that way can't put your foot on the gaspedal.
But I think all v8's used electric startermotors.
So I can't think of any other reasons for it's use

Great build!!!
Attached Images

trucktony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
OrrieG

That confirms I took it off the 62/63 donor truck I had in 85 for the engine. I sold all the sheetmetal to different people and frame to a guy that had gotten hit real hard in the front and needed a new frame. I kept the engine and misc parts (I think I modified the elec wiper for the 59 too) sold the bellhousing/clutch/4 speed trans. I made more than I paid for it and got a good motor out of the deal. Only bummer was I thought it was a 327 didn't find out till I mic'd the pistions it was a 283 .030 overbored.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #25
Fleet '66

Nice progress OrrieG. Keep up the good work! I just finished reading your entire build. A lot of good information here. I'm a new member on the forum but a longtime bowtie fan. I have a '58 stepside that I converted to 4x4 in the late 70's. Mostly complete but as they say... "never done" I also have several "66 SW Fleetsides I'm working on. I'm looking forward to learning much from all the talented craftsmen here.

Fleet '66
Fleet '66 is offline   Reply With Quote