The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2024, 11:55 AM   #1
popeyestruck

Headliner insulation

Put my gas tank in today and needed to put sound deadener in before. While I'm at it figured I do the inside of the doors and headliner area was wondering if anyone has added under the headliner. I'm using rattletrap xtreme and its 1/8 inch thick. My headliner is one of the plastic ones from classic parts. Will I have any issues with fit of the headliner if I add the 1/8 inch insulation?
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:28 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Headliner insulation

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly.

New door seals and properly adjusted door gaps made the interior of my '57 extremely quiet, despite retaining the original headliner. If the insulation doesn't fit well it may not make too much difference to leave it out.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:57 PM   #3
Stepside Jim

I installed the plastic one you mentioned this past fall in my '57 along with the rubber retainer that's the original piece.

The area you don't want any extra fill is right at the outer parameter of the plastic headliner.

The rubber retainer is a very tight fit in some areas and adding anything else will make it tighter yet.

As a side note, I did use some heavy duty Velcro to hold the plastic headliner in place while fitting the rubber retainer in place.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:23 AM   #4
popeyestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
I installed the plastic one you mentioned this past fall in my '57 along with the rubber retainer that's the original piece.

The area you don't want any extra fill is right at the outer parameter of the plastic headliner.

The rubber retainer is a very tight fit in some areas and adding anything else will make it tighter yet.

As a side note, I did use some heavy duty Velcro to hold the plastic headliner in place while fitting the rubber retainer in place.
Thanks that answers my question. I was worried that there might not be enough room to fit the rattlemat
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote