The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #426
rusty76

Re: pdx-sanity66

Great job!
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #427
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice!
Hey man, thanks for looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Your motor and frame look so crisp and clean. Always like looking in on the progress.
I wish I had the skills to do the things you do to Steiner but I don't so I go a much simpler route. Things are clean because it takes me so long to figure out where I'm going next that I have plenty of time to wipe things off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Great job!
Thanks rusty. Like a lot of guys, the encouragement and comments really help with the motivation.

Here's what I did today. Filling unneeded holes in the firewall. I still have 3 or 4 more but good progress for the afternoon.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #428
truckswede

Hi, hope you don't mind a newbie sticking his head in here. You claim not to be a welder, but the pictures of your patchwork tell a different story. You do very nice work! And to think you originally got the truck for 675 bucks!
You've come a long way since then though, and when finished, you will have a great piece of american history to enjoy for many years to come!
And your new Silverado hauler is an absolute beast, it will serve you well on your upcoming road trips. Just wanted to say i'm following your great work and enjoying every step of it.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #429
McMurphy

Your progress looks great !

I will be swinging thru Portland this August, would sure like to grab a cup of coffee with you, if you are up to talking shop...

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #430
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckswede View Post
Hi, hope you don't mind a newbie sticking his head in here. You claim not to be a welder, but the pictures of your patchwork tell a different story. You do very nice work! And to think you originally got the truck for 675 bucks!
You've come a long way since then though, and when finished, you will have a great piece of american history to enjoy for many years to come!
And your new Silverado hauler is an absolute beast, it will serve you well on your upcoming road trips. Just wanted to say i'm following your great work and enjoying every step of it.
Thanks for looking in, man. I'm trying to get this truck close enough to done that I will be able to put it away for awhile while we do some traveling next year. It's nice to be putting stuff back together rather than just cleaning and prepping. I still have plenty of that, too, but the drivetrain is almost done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Your progress looks great !

I will be swinging thru Portland this August, would sure like to grab a cup of coffee with you, if you are up to talking shop...
You are certainly welcome to stop by anytime. I hope we can get together and share some stories.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #431
Average Joe

I just stumbled across your build. Great job! You definitely do quality work.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #432
pdxhall

After having to stop and make a trip to Jone's Welding for another bottle of gas, I got the rest of the unneeded holes welded up, ground down, and a couple of coats of epoxy primer laid down. A little bit a body work and primer and it should be good to go.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #433
Bomp

Looking really good
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #434
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Looking really good
Thanks, Greg. I'm getting close to putting the cab back on the chassis to start fitting up body parts.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:12 AM   #435
pdxhall

I worked on the firewall some more these last days off. Still some more to do but it's getting close.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #436
bj383ss

Looks great man. What holes did you fill? I plan on filling the clutch rod hole and think there are two more that are unused.

Bret
Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #437
pdxhall

I closed up the clutch hole, the 1" hole on the right side of the upper tunnel, and I welded up the manual choke hole and all the holes for the inner firewall pad. I also smoothed out all of the spot weld indentations. I'm not going for a "hide all your wiring and hoses" look. I just wanted to clean things up a little.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #438
mjh1965

Hi nice build and good detailed pictures going to keep an eye on this one . You are making good progress

Martin
My long bed 65 build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #439
pdxhall

Just a quick update. I took a weekend off and went camping out to the coast so that took a bite out of my progress but it was a much needed break and the weather was fantastic. The last few days I pretty much finished all the priming and patching on the firewall. I also picked up a tilt steering column from a floor shift '70 Camaro. The length and shaft diameter are exactly the same as my stock column. I will need to cut off the Camaro firewall mount that is permanantly attached to the column but that's no big deal and then the stock mount will work with no other modification. The dash mount will need a little tweaking but should work out great. I am going to do a little overhaul and clean up but it's a tight column. I would have preferred a column without the key but I've got a plan for the setup. I also ordered a new Champion 3 row aluminum radiator and a new aluminum trans pan. I wanted a drain plug in the pan that the stock pan doesn't have. I thought about just adding a drain plug but I liked the idea of an aluminum, finned pan for additional cooling. And it adds some bling Once I get the pan and radiator I can start doing cooling lines,
trans cooler, electric fan, TV cable, and speedometer cable.
I'm interested in what others have used for an electric fan. I posted the question in the general forum but if anybody wants to chime in with their opinions or advice I'm open to hearing from you. I'm in my work week now so I'll post up some pics in a few days.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #440
mark 66

Truck is coming along nice. as far as a fan. look at a mark 8 Lincoln next time you go to the junk yard. I was kicking it around last time I needed a fan. ended up buying complete rad with fan kit.mark 8 fan at the time was supposed to be a good used alternative.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #441
bj383ss

PDX I look forward to seeing what others say about electric fans as I want to do this as well. You say you welded up the firewall insulation plug holes. What are your plans for insulating the firewall. Just curious as I will be working on the cab soon and need to decide if I will keep them or not. I plan on welding up all the holes you did. I figure the less holes there are the less heat and fumes that will come in the cab.

Bret
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #442
siggyfreud

+2 on the Lincoln Mark 8 fan. Bought one off ebay 7-8 years ago and no regrets. Planning on fabbing something to mount it to the rad better than the pull through things. Fan has a low and high setting. On high that thing moves a LOT of air. No problem in traffic on 95+ degree days.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #443
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
PDX I look forward to seeing what others say about electric fans as I want to do this as well. You say you welded up the firewall insulation plug holes. What are your plans for insulating the firewall. Just curious as I will be working on the cab soon and need to decide if I will keep them or not. I plan on welding up all the holes you did. I figure the less holes there are the less heat and fumes that will come in the cab
Bret
I'm looking at a coating much like Lizard Skin but less expensive. I sent an email off to the supplier to get some more info. If it will work I'll post more info on it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 66 View Post
Truck is coming along nice. as far as a fan. look at a mark 8 Lincoln next time you go to the junk yard. I was kicking it around last time I needed a fan. ended up buying complete rad with fan kit.mark 8 fan at the time was supposed to be a good used alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
+2 on the Lincoln Mark 8 fan. Bought one off ebay 7-8 years ago and no regrets. Planning on fabbing something to mount it to the rad better than the pull through things. Fan has a low and high setting. On high that thing moves a LOT of air. No problem in traffic on 95+ degree days.
Thanks guys, I've read some about the Taurus and the Mark 8 fans and it sounds like a good option. Siggy, do you have pics of your fan? I didn't see any on your thread.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #444
siggyfreud

I'll snap a few pics tomorrow of the fan and post them here. They'll just be of the fan though as it's not mounted currently.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #445
pdxhall

Quote:
I'll snap a few pics tomorrow of the fan and post them here. They'll just be of the fan though as it's not mounted currently.
Thanks Siggy. Could you measure the thickness of it, also. That could be an issue.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #446
siggyfreud

Will do.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #447
siggyfreud

The fan, in it's shroud, is:

1'10" Wide
1'4" Tall
And a smidge under 5" at its deepest point, which is the center of the fan from nose to back side.

Does this help?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #448
pdxhall

Quote:
The fan, in it's shroud, is:

1'10" Wide
1'4" Tall
And a smidge under 5" at its deepest point, which is the center of the fan from nose to back side.

Does this help?

Thanks for the info Siggy.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 AM   #449
pdxhall

I can't believe it's been over 3 weeks since I've posted anything. Summer has been keeping me busy. I've been working on Sanity buy I've also been doing my fair share of playing. A couple of car shows, The Waterfront Blues Festival, and other stuff. I've been keeping up on other's threads but neglecting my own. Here's a little update on my work.
1. I didn't get a pic of it when I got it but here's one of the trans pan on the trans.
2. I blasted the upper inside of the firewall where there had been some leaking and there was some surface rust. I then coated any areas not accessible with Rust Encapsulator and then epoxy primer over the entire area.
3. I've been gathering parts while I've been working on the body. I want to get as much prepping and painting of needed parts while the weather is good.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #450
pdxhall

I have to tell you my good luck story of the year. I was telling a friend of mine about my truck and my plans for it about a year ago and he told me he had an Edelbrock Carb that I could have. He said it was a 1406 that had bee sitting on a shelf in his garage for about a year and he wanted to get rid of it.
I told him that would be great and I would have to get over and get it some time. I didn't really need a carb right then and I figured it was used and would probably need rebuilt so I really didn't rush over. Now a year later, after the subject coming up a couple of times during the year, we were getting ready to go to the Waterfront Blues Festival, an event we attend every year and we always hang out with my friend and his wife while we're there. Again the subject of the carb came up and it was decided he would bring it with him and we'd meet up in the parking lot and he'd give it to me. All went as planned but when he opened his trunk there sat a brand new Edelbrock 1406 carb, fuel line, throttle kit, and an adapter for a spread bore manifold which I don't need.
I was floored. He would take nothing for it. He said that it had come with a truck he'd bought for $1000. Apparently, the owner had bought it intending to put it on the truck but then sold the truck to my friend who didn't install it either and then scrapped the truck for $600 and had no use for it.
My lucky day. This is the exact carburetor I was planning on getting.
Attached Images