The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2024, 10:02 PM   #1
Loose Screw

Another Fuel Pump Discussion...My Wild Hair Idea

350 Carbureted Frankinmotor:
Gas Tank is still behind the seat until I get it moved...

Right now I got about 6" of metal fuel line from the gas tank stickin out underneth the truck with an Old leaky electric fuel pump hosed clamped on it and that's hosed clamped onto metal fuel line running the inside of the frame to Frankinmotor...

So...I want to Remove the old clamped on rubber fuel line jumper connectors to the old leaky electric fuel pump and the old leaky electric fuel pump and put in new rubber jumper connector fuel line, a Fuel line On/Off Switch, a fuel filter, and a New electric fuel pump. So it will be hose, fuel cut off/on switch, hose, filter, Fuel pump, hose. All of this will be hose clamped onto the metal fuel line running up close to Frankinmotor. Oh! I will have an on/off Electric fuel pump 12 volt switch mounted on the dashboard Because I'm going to run the fuel line from the electric fuel pump into the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block and then into that 4 barrel AutoZone Edelbrock. I'm thinkin I us the electric fuel pump to prime the mechanical fuel pump and if the often spoked of vapor lock happens I can get by that quick enough by turning the electric pump on for a few seconds then off and just run off the mechanical. I know, I know, I better have an electric Fuel pump when turned off there is a free flow of gas threw it....

I seen a guy on YouTube do this on an old Pontiac.

So, have any of you ever done a contraption like this?
Have any of you ever installed an inline fuel cut off switch, which one you use and where did you get it?
Also what's a fairly dependable decent priced Fuel Pump?

TIA
Loose Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Another Fuel Pump Discussion...My Wild Hair Idea

I don't think an electric pump in line with a mechanical fuel pump is necessary. It's just more stuff to leak and fail. These trucks work fine with a plain old mechanical fuel pump on the engine. I have a plain one port in and one port out mechanical fuel pump and Quadrajet mounted with a thin gasket on the intake manifold, and run gasohol, and live in a very hot area of the country. It's fine. I have only a short piece of rubber hose connecting the steel line under the cab and steel line on the frame, and a short piece of rubber hose connecting the steel line on the frame and the fuel pump on the engine. All the rest of the fuel lines are steel. Quadrajet has a fuel filter inside. If I needed a fuel filter inline, I would put a metal-case one at the rubber hose connecting the steel line under the cab and steel line on the frame.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:13 AM   #3
kwmech

Use a pair of scissors on that wild hair and cut it off
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I don't think an electric pump in line with a mechanical fuel pump is necessary. It's just more stuff to leak and fail. These trucks work fine with a plain old mechanical fuel pump on the engine. I have a plain one port in and one port out mechanical fuel pump and Quadrajet mounted with a thin gasket on the intake manifold, and run gasohol, and live in a very hot area of the country. It's fine. I have only a short piece of rubber hose connecting the steel line under the cab and steel line on the frame, and a short piece of rubber hose connecting the steel line on the frame and the fuel pump on the engine. All the rest of the fuel lines are steel. Quadrajet has a fuel filter inside. If I needed a fuel filter inline, I would put a metal-case one at the rubber hose connecting the steel line under the cab and steel line on the frame.
So, it's sounding like you and kwmech are sayin skip the electronic fuel pump...
I'm Still gonna put an inline fuel cut off switch/valve. If I can do something about gas spewing all over the place while I have to move lines around I'm going to do it! Those inline fuel cut offs are expensive but for me it's worth it to keep gas from running down my fore arm to my arm pit before I can slam a new connection on or suck on a garden hose and get a few mouthfuls of gas!
Old 04-12-2024, 04:06 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

I'm in the skip the electric fuel pump crowd. It will cause problems down the road and it's not fixing a problem it's covering the symptom. You would be better of putting the time into running a return line from the fuel pump. It would require a three port fuel pump but you would have less things to fail and it will cool the fuel helping to prevent vapor lock. Which in my opinion is quite overblown.

I've driven carbureted vehicles most of my life and never have I been stranded by vapor lock. That being said I work to keep my vehicles in good running order. Strong starters, proper tune ups, and clean air filters all help to prevent vapor lock.

If you have a Mighty Vac style vacuum pump and plug the vent and cover the fill and hook the pump to the tank have a helper operate the vacuum pump and make a vacuum in the tank you can replace the hoses without getting fuel everywhere. Especially if you crack the fuel at the carb or fuel pump first.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:03 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Electric fuel pumps are dangerous -- they can stay on after a collision and still force fuel at the engine bay. Also you run the risk of flooding if you don't play your cards right.
With an in-cab tank, the proximity works to the mechanical fuel pump's advantage.
Save the electric pump for after installing a Suburban tank.
And why a fuel Cut/Off?

To quote CMDR Scott of StarFleet:
''The more you mess with the plumbing,
the easier it is to stop up the drain.''

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:38 PM   #7
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I'm in the skip the electric fuel pump crowd. It will cause problems down the road and it's not fixing a problem it's covering the symptom. You would be better of putting the time into running a return line from the fuel pump. It would require a three port fuel pump but you would have less things to fail and it will cool the fuel helping to prevent vapor lock. Which in my opinion is quite overblown.

I've driven carbureted vehicles most of my life and never have I been stranded by vapor lock. That being said I work to keep my vehicles in good running order. Strong starters, proper tune ups, and clean air filters all help to prevent vapor lock.

If you have a Mighty Vac style vacuum pump and plug the vent and cover the fill and hook the pump to the tank have a helper operate the vacuum pump and make a vacuum in the tank you can replace the hoses without getting fuel everywhere. Especially if you crack the fuel at the carb or fuel pump first.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, That's what I want, That "Mighty Vac" vacuum setup! I've kind of heard of that before...I'll start doin an internet search for the exact procedure...I've got practically a full tank of gas and a moist area around the inline fuel pump that's in there right now. No drips on the ground but moist around a seam on the pump.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:38 AM   #8
72c20customcamper

In my opinion vapor lock doesn’t happen prior to the pump (unless it real close to the exhaust)it happens the line that goes from the pump to the carb or the carb itself . Even when gas was good we would insulate the line running close the motor with foam foil tape and installed plates under the carb , people used wood spacers sometimes .

I’ve heard of people using a small electric pump to overcome vapor lock but you would be better off moving the inlet line away from the motor . Only safe way to use an electric pump is to have an oil switch and inertia cutoff .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:55 AM   #9
Loose Screw

"Why the fuel cutoff switch"

So if/when I have to mess with fuel delivery again I can shut it off at the tank.

I will be looking into that vacuum setup talked about above...

So if I duct tape a shop vac hose to the fuel filler neck it will keep gas from draining out of the bottom of the tank?
Old 04-13-2024, 10:32 AM   #10
dmjlambert

No, don't suck fuel vapors into an electric-motor-operated device. All you need to do is have a short piece of fuel line handy that is folded over and held shut with a small clamp (or duct tape), and when you pull the old hose off of the steel line under the cab, plug it with your finger temporarily and then put the new blocked piece of fuel line on there quickly. After you get that plugged off, work on your fuel pump and other rubber line. Have a friend standing by and alert with a fire extinguisher. No smoking. Do the job outside. Here's another recent thread about fuel line. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851223
Old 04-13-2024, 12:19 PM   #11
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Screw View Post
So, it's sounding like you and kwmech are sayin skip the electronic fuel pump...

I'm Still gonna put an inline fuel cut off switch/valve.
I did that on my toyota as an anti-theft measure. Gonna do it on my chevy if it ever stops raining. Wired it up with a latching relay, so every time I shut the ign off the solenoid closes
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:21 PM   #12
truckster

Quote:
No, don't suck fuel vapors into an electric-motor-operated device.
Mighty Vac is a hand-operated pump, usually used for checking vacuum lines or bleeding brakes. I'm skeptical whether it would generate enough flow to keep the fuel from pouring out, though.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:56 PM   #13
Loose Screw

Yeah, Nixed the shop vac idea....

I'm just going to syphon off the gas...

Thanks Guy!
Old 04-13-2024, 01:57 PM   #14
dmjlambert

Loose Screw with the Wild Hair was thinking of using a Shop Vac. So there's a wild hair and a loose screw situation. Loose Screw I love your forum name and avatar, it's great!
Old 04-13-2024, 02:29 PM   #15
Loose Screw

Quote:
Loose Screw with the Wild Hair was thinking of using a Shop Vac. So there's a wild hair and a loose screw situation. Loose Screw I love your forum name and avatar, it's great!
Hey man, guess the name of the character in my Avatar!
Old 04-13-2024, 04:33 PM   #16
dmjlambert

Phillip!
Old 04-13-2024, 04:53 PM   #17
Loose Screw

Quote:
Phillip!
You are Correct Sir! You don't win anything but you do move on to the next level!