The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
07SSSC

Suggestions/help with new system

I'd like to get your ideas/suggestions/help for my soon to be new system in my '69 C/10. Come warmer weather I'm gonna finally get rid of my 2 Radio Shack "Bass Reflex" (read:junk) speakers and upgrade. Also I'm going to put a fuel cell under the bed and install seats out of an 02ish Silverado including the center folding seat/console. So room won't neccessarily be an issue. I want to do speakers (5.25") in kick panel enclosures and 6x9s behind the seats, maybe a sub, not sure yet. I already have a Panasonic deck in the glovebox. I have a couple of amps sitting around that I bought off a friend before he moved, don't remember what they are rated at though, also bought a Pioneer Premier deck from him. I'm perfectly capabale of doing an install, I just never have, I'm a GM Tech turned GM parts guy so I've got the knowledge. I have installed decks and speakers before but never amps nor a really good full system.

I do plan on spending part of my taxes on this so the funds shouldn't be too big of a concern. I want good speakers, no cheapo 29.95 specials, I figure I may as well do it up right. I prefer sound quality over quantity but you all know how loud it can get in these old trucks goin down the road so keep that in mind. My music of choice is hard rock/metal with the occasional soft stuff (doo wop, acapella, soft rock, etc.) mixed in for good measure.

So, questions are-
What brand/type of speakers do you recommend and where should I buy them?
Should I custom build box(es) for behind the seat, and furthermore, 1 box to house everything or several smaller boxes?
If I do use the amps how/where should I mount them?
If I do use the amps that'll open up another whole can of worms I know nothing about.
I'm sure I'll have more as it progresses.
Any other help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by 07SSSC; 01-20-2010 at 03:17 PM.
07SSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
dirtyd_nd

Re: Suggestions/help with new system

If you know your budget and amps you have we would be able to help you more. You could end up with speakers that aren't optimal for you amps and then you have to buy new amps. Adds a lot of money quickly.
Dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
07SSSC

Budget wise I have no idea, depends on tax returns, and I really have no idea what a good budget is anyways, like I said, never built a real system.
On to what I have-
Two Pioneer Premier decks (didn't realize there were 2 in the box) one is a DEH-P680MP, the other a DEH-P300 (which looks quite old).
The deck I have in it now is a Panasonic CQ-DF802U "Ghost" touch screen
Amps- an Orion SC250.1T and a Jensen Power JPA260, I assume both of these are older by the looks of it.

I'm not opposed to replacing the Panasonic deck with one of the Premiers if either is better.
Nor am I opposed to selling it all (except the Panasonic) for a few bucks and putting it towards better stuff.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
dirtyd_nd

I could not find a lot of info on the DEH-P300 or the Orion amp. The jensen amp puts out 300w bridged, and the other two head units are about the same. I think I would go with the Panasonic. But you might want to do a little research and see which one has the features you like. As far as your system and what I and all others will suggest, we all have our own preferences. Me, I love JL Audio amps subs and their top of the line components. I also like the Boston acoustic Z-6. First off, I would lose both amps and go with the JL 5 channel amps. It's a matched set, it's one amp, and puts out great clean power. I have this.http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/jlaudio5005rb.aspx In my truck I'm going to go with this one though.http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=537 i don't think you need the second amp. For the music you listen to the first will be fine. I would also go with a JL Audio 10 or 12w3. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=24 I have the 10 with the above mentioned amp. As far as the component sets I'd go with two sets of these.http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?comp_id=65 Like I said before I'm partial to JL Audio. And ten dif people will suggest ten dif brands. As for the speakers. You should really go to a stereo shop and listen to all they have and go with what sounds best to you. Ask how they have them hooked up and what they are hooked up to. That will change how they sound when you hook them up in your truck. You also don't have to buy them from that stereo shop. There are a lot of online stereo shops that are a lot cheaper. Just make sure that they are authorized dealers for what they are selling and what the return/warranty policies are. And there is a lot of good info here. http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...o-electronics/ I'm sure by now you are tired of reading my ramblings. Hope all of this helps in your decisions. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
07SSSC

No, not ramblings, good info in my eyes. Since you're the only one (thanks btw) that has replied, JL Audio is in the lead, lol. I'll read into all those links and see what I can figure out, I've been planning on going to the stereo shop, just haven't had the time.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

Well, I haven't used Panasonic or Pioneer other than a single Pioneer Premiere mid bass in my truck, I can offer some help if you want to go with another brand. I have had an Alpine CDA-9885 for my deck for about the last year and it is one of the best decks I've ever worked, and that's including my friends Kenwood that was in his car. Alpine is one of the more expensive brands, but I feel the price is well worth it. As far as speakers go, I've always had good luck with the off brand speakers. I had a good pair or Pyramid's, a nice pair of Sony Xplod's (sold my first set, but I got a complete system for my birthday), and I had a nice pair of Alpines. All of which were 6x9's and I only ran 1 in each corner behind the seat in my '81 and it sounded great with each pair. The Sony's sounded the best. As far as amps go, I've only ran one and it was a Sony Xplod 600W that I was using to run the Pioneer Premier 6.5 Mid Bass behind the seat. I had to have the amp turned down so I didn't blow it, but I was told that it was hitting like a decent 8 inch sub. It provided good bass to go with the 2 6x9's.

If you want to start with a good sounding, low buck system, you can get the same one I got for my birthday from Walmart for $90 if they still have it.

Sorry for the long post. If you need any more help, just ask.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
07SSSC

I think I'm gonna go with a 4 channel amp, 5.25" and tweeters in the front, a nice set of 6x9s in the back. Leaning towards JL Audio or Pioneers as they've both been recomended by a few different people. Just gotta figure out what exactly to get.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
TheSunDanceKid

first off that panisonic deck is awesome i remember doing an install a couple years back and that thing was pretty nifty spec wise its about the same as the 680mp i personaly like panisonic better then the pioneers in sound quailty and the pioneers can be a pain to navigate well the newer ones anyways
if your looking for sound qaulity crisp and clear and not sloppy id go with boston acoustics they are pricy but wont let you down and has some of the best sound out there specially if your going to put a 4channel to them not really for rap and what not but will still get great sound theyer line of subs also has some of the best bass if your looking for clarity and not just nasty sloppy bass
i have 2 of their g2 10" subs in my silverado have but out for the door speakers yet but i have had the 6 1/2 componets and 6x9s in my s10 sorry to say let them go when i sold the truck

ive worked at an audio shop installing for around 5years and mecp cert mostly installing pioneer alpine kenwood and boston out of the years id put poineer on the end of the list as for sound qaulity but still good sound im just saying out of those 4

pioneer decks also if you get alot of alternator whine the pre outs on the deck are junk when using a 4 channel and alot of the time you have to ground them out on the back of the deck if you deside to use one of the pioneers

if your looking for a 4channel id go with kenwood or alpine if you got the money and can find one a boston but they are expesive

Last edited by TheSunDanceKid; 01-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

Hey SunDance, what's your opinion on the Alpine CDA-9885?

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
07SSSC

Thanks, I've got several different people telling me several different things, I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. I did plan on using the Panisonic just cuz I like it, still don't know much other then that, I keep waffling back and forth on everything else. Probably be best to go to a stereo shop and listen/look everything over.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
TheSunDanceKid

just remember when you do that they hook up stuff on the board with alot better amp and its always going to sound different in a car theres alot of variables that take place in car then on a board like road noice engin noise pannels rattling ive hooked up alot of boards and they are never what they appear on the out side usally hooked up to a rediculessly bigger amp
and never give in to sales men get what you think sounds good not wat they say sounds better after all its your car and they dont give a damn after the sale
haha or if you can get one to come out ask an installer then talk to the salesmen hopefully an honest one i all ways answered customers questions if they asked got in trouble for it alot but i hate sales people screwing good people over
check out the bostons though if they carry them they will blow your mind

i love alpines they are always good qaulity my first deck i got an alpine 9856 its older now but had it for 2 years and loved it went threw 5 cars in 2years and i got dumb and threw it in with my last car to sell it for more looking back i would of thrown a cheap one in there to keep it dealing with all 4 companies alpine always had the best sound quality i thought never really had any issues didnt get to many back that werent due to user error or a kid sticking random stuff into the cd tray also all the controls were alot more user friendly then the pioneer or the kenwood
i do have a pioneer double din in my truck now but would rather have the alpine back i HATE the ipod capibility that the pioneers have its horrible and you cant use the ipod touch or the new nano on only bad thing on alpine i could say is they used to have life time warranty and switched to like a 90day which really isnt to bad because it had the lowest return rate but this did make there selling point toast but all in all best sound qaulity best ipod controls and user navigating not to much change over the years but why change a good thing

also if you do choose to go with sony great product by the way low return rate and definatly decent qaulity for the price i know there was a small issue on there bass amps a while back not sure if its still there but they couldnt run either 2 or 4 ohm stable if i remember right not a 100% on that or if its still like that just in the wiring so its not that big of a deal

Last edited by TheSunDanceKid; 01-26-2010 at 03:00 AM.
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Pioneer head unit older but good keh5700,controls a Pioneer 6 pack cd,Pioneer 3way crossover,Pioneer speakers ,amps it's a personal choice, but i've heard some good alpine too .i moved my whole radio UP in my 87 and the 3way crossover.i use a small single throw double pole switch (a switch with two on's one off,the middle)wired switch up runs threw the key,switch down with out the key,(safer leaving kids and car any age without the key).And the instant off(middle) is for the drive threw order window.lol i even put an extra switch for the subs,only (amp on off).lets people talk and hear the radio,good tune comes on and click BOOM there's all the rest of the bass.keep in mind to hear the high sounds you don't need as much power as to feel the lows

P.S.done the radio to bypass the key on quite a few cars and vans and trucks works well
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
07SSSC

Well I'm not planning on installing a sub at this point, so whatever you were talking about with the switches I think I'll pass on.

So far I'm just gonna go with Alpine component 5.25" and maybe some Alpine 6 x 9s built into the lower rear corners and a 4 x 100 Alpine amp.