The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
rauto13
saving one more

Reusing old Clifford alarm in my 1996 GMC?

I have an old Clifford alarm that I had in an extended cab 1994 Chevy about 20 years ago. I now want to put it in my 1996 GMC extended cab. I want to install this one because it has Smart Windows, remote start, and the ignition kill, along with the alarm. I had this alarm professionally removed before I sold that truck in about 1998.

What I am wondering, is since everything was working when it was taken out, would it probably all still be good after all this time? Right now, I don't have the extra funds to buy a new alarm for this truck and would like to use this one if it will still work. There is a ton of wiring to install this alarm, but I finally did locate the wiring diagram for it. I have wired up numerous stereos and done other electrical work on my vehicles, so I should be able to install it.

Is there any way to check the alarm without first installing? Is there any chance that it is still good? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks for all the help.
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
lsversaw

Re: Reusing old Clifford alarm in my 1996 GMC?

If the alarm system didn't get wet, and hasn't been chewed up by a dog, it should be fine. BUT there are electronic components that degrade over time -- capacitors mainly -- so your idea to test it is a good one.

You should be able to test it on a bench by hooking it up a 12V power source (spare battery, cig lighter socket of a working car, etc.). The simple test will be to ignore the Smart Windows, remote start, and the ignition kill wires (if the alarm itself works it would still be worth installing, right?) and just hook up the sensors and alarm horn. To simulate sensors that are just switches (like the door-open sensor), just twist those wires together to simulate a normally-closed switch, or separate them to simulate an normally-open switch. Connect the motion sensor(s) like you normally would and lay the sensor(s) on the bench. Then shake the motion sensors, close the normally-open switches, open the normally-open switches, and wear earplugs in case the alarm horn sounds. (Sorry if you already knew some of that. I try to err on the side of too-much-info.)

Here's some reuseable, tool-free connectors that will help with a bench-top test setup:
"Wago 221-412 LEVER-NUTS 2 Conductor Compact Connectors 10 PK"
Amazon sells 'em. They are perfect for underdash wiring because they eliminate soldering, crimping, and taping. And you can un-connect as easily as they connect. I supply them as speaker connectors for the radios I rebuild.

If you test the alarm and it fails, let us know here and I or others may be able to give you some additional resuscitation tips.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote