The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Speaker Placement and How many?

Okay,

I got several good ideas from you guys on what to do with my blazer. My new problem is that I'm having to put my tank and compressor behind my seat. I have some 6.5 component pods up in the kick panel area so the front is covered.

Here's a picture that should give you an idea on how much space there is back there....not much.

Originally I'd planned on doing something like this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...71-blazer.html

or this because I have a nice set of 6x9 and some 10's:

My question is if I don't run the 6x9's like several of you recommended will I hear the 6.5 components well enough??

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

Last edited by 5150; 12-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Speaker Placement and How many?

I would do it like the one you pictured personally, but I would make the sub box larger by making run along the top of the wheel well and then port it on both sides.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
AZGrower

I was going to link to that 71 in the DIY forums, as I am a member on there too....if you look, I even had replied to that very same post

Anyway, I will be one person to ask that you AVOID 6x9 speakers. They are pretty much worthless. 2-way component sets are more versatile as far as mounting options and will deliver much better sound quality than the "by nines".

Oh and dont ever mount any speaker other than a sub in the rear, as this destroys any sound staging. Bass should come from the rear and mids and highs from the front.

Last edited by AZGrower; 12-24-2008 at 11:26 PM.
AZGrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
larry may

I do not know diddly poop about speakers other than not necessary. Take a boom box along; However that is a cool for sure ride on the trailor.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
sflanagan

Depends on how much rms power your components are capable of. If they are a high rms they may be able to keep up with a solid amp. However I have great component speakers and also 6x9's under my seat powered by the same 4 channel amp. The by9's fit well there in a nice little encloser and incorporate a fininishing touch to the sound in your cab... I also have one 12 in a box that completes a great sound in the cab without competing with the neighborhood monte carlo...You can achieve this with not a crazy amount of money as well, just some time, a good wire placement plan, and maybe a few cuss words.

I think the 6x9's when used properly will be just fine. But as AZgrower said keep them toward the front with you bass in the rear..

Hope this was helpful

68 Chevy fleetside/shortbed, 350 eng., alum. heads, 10 to 1, 430 hp.

Last edited by sflanagan; 01-22-2009 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added txt
sflanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
frostie_122

yes...put a good amp to them and it will be plenty loud.
by the way any speaker that is behind you will go away when your driving (being that the top is always off...) like a boat.
frostie_122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Did you ever get this thing done?

IMO, since it's a permanent convertible, I wouldn't worry too much w/soundstage. (Any other time I would be screaming the opposite!) I guess it depends on how often you will be carrying passengers and how loud you want it. 6x9's aren't really known for their sound quality, but when you're cruising down the road at speed you won't really care. Stick em in there and crank it!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado

Last edited by Riveted1; 02-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
C10 Club Tennessee

Just getting my side panels done. My father in law and I were working on the downward box for the 10's the other day.

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 03-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
C10 Club Tennessee

got the side panels done. Decided to use the 6x9's. Hell, I already had a nice set of Infinity Kappa's so why buy new ones.

I built a upside down box for the subs. I'm going to have the box line-x'd so I don't have to worry about ripping the fabric if I throw some bag chairs or a cooler in the back.

I already have a 600 watt Infinity reference amp for the 6x9's and the 6.5 components up front. I bought a 300 watt amp for the 10's in the back.

Here is a pic of the front pods. Still haven't decided on what to put in there yet.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 03-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
C10 Club Tennessee

by the way, are the crossover's that important when buying component speakers?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
by the way, are the crossover's that important when buying component speakers?
Yes! They "tell" the individual speakers what frequencies to play. You'll be without speakers in no time if you don't use the correct crossovers! But most component sets should come with their own crossovers.

BTW, I think it looks great! Those kick panels are interesting. Oh and btw, if you used the words "nice set of Infinity Kappa's" on another website I frequent, you would be flamed for months. (Sound snobs)

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote