The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
345HP87SSAC

A pillar with tweeters

Anyone other than LMC sell the a pillar with tweeters? Seems like a good idea but they want 129 buck for them and I am sure the tweeters are not all that great.

BTW on 73-91 squarebody.

Thanks
345HP87SSAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
NJ C10 Guy

Re: A pillar with tweeters

EDIT: I posted a link to the pillar pods for gauges. It's early and my brain wasn't working. My apologies.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
kdh454

Depending on your existing setup, adding tweeters to the A pillars may not produce a very desirable sound.

Ideally, you want your left and right speakers equidistant from the center of your head. Of course, that is not practical in a truck cab, so the best you can do is to get the distances as close as possible. Generally this means placing the speakers as far away as possible to minimize the difference. Moving the speakers higher in the cab, as with the A pillar pods, drastically shortens the distance to the driver side speaker and slightly decreases the distance to the passenger side speaker. The end result is hearing sound out of the speaker right in front of your face and not being able to hear the passenger side speaker. This effect is even greater with higher frequencies (tweeters).

If possible, I'd suggest temporarily affixing a set of tweeters in that location and see how it sounds. Tweeters are very sensitive to the direction they are pointed so make sure it is as close as possible to the location they would be mounted in the A pillar. If you like it, go for it. If not, look into another location to mount them.

If your at all handy with fiberglass, it would be pretty simple to make your own pod and affix it to your existing A pillars. Doing so would allow you to play with the position and determine what sounds best. Some people (and some manufacturers) angle the tweeter towards the windshield and bounce the sound off it to get the best sound. Do whatever works for you.
kdh454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
345HP87SSAC

Thanks for the info. I have no current setup right now as the entire truck is stripped. Good points about distance. Makes sense.
345HP87SSAC is offline   Reply With Quote