The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
jthomass

Start of 72 ochre Blazer build thread

I started cutting apart my blazer and had a couple questions that I posted and was given the advice from another member that starting a build thread was the way to go, so here is the start of this thread. I will add some pics as I go, and I will be asking a lot of questions. So thanks in advance.
The first pics will be of the starting point. It has some major rust issues.
Attached Images

jthomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
68panelman

Re: Start of 72 ochre Blazer build thread

One of my favorite colors. Good luck on the build.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
jthomass

Adding some pics of the start of cutting rust. There is a lot of rust. I thought the driver side would be less rust, but I'm not so sure.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
jthomass

Rockerbox reinforcement plate two upper holes

Does anyone have ideas for how to deal with the top 2 bolts on the rockerbox reinforcement plate? I will post a pic of the new part. On the truck these 2 bolts appear to be buried behind the pillar which I didnt plan on cutting out.
I was thinking of trying to torch these two bolts out then spot welding the new plate in those two holes on top and bolting the rest of it like factory.
Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
warbucket

I removed the inner B pillar cover to get to the 2 bolts, It's not that bad when you use a spot weld drill bit. Ounce it's off you can clean up any hidden rust.

warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
jthomass

Ah, I see. Looks like about 10 spot welds per edge. Wish they would have bolted this cover on like a lot of this stuff is bolted. Although not fun when the bolts break off either. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
jthomass

Next question on welding floor pan patches: When you guys weld in your floor pan patches, do you leave a little metal and overlap and weld or do you cut the old floor extremely precise and butt weld? Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
warbucket

I like to butt weld panels in, it does takes a long time fitting and grinding, and I have a lot of grinding left to do. here's mine.

warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
jthomass

I was afraid of that. I suppose its better to not have that lip on the underside catching stuff. Yours look good, thanks. Not sure when I will get to the floor pan welding but wanted to get an opinion.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucket View Post
I like to butt weld panels in, it does takes a long time fitting and grinding, and I have a lot of grinding left to do. here's mine.

Nice work John, nice to see one board member helping a nother one out

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
jthomass

I got the bottom of the pillar patched in, and also the floor support piece. Now I have to try to get some floor in. I am trying to do this with the torque box and fender in position (I loosened the fender so I can pull it out a little). I have a couple questions. I have both the front floor patch and also the inner rocker with 4 inches of floor included. My floor patch goes up past that seam a few inches, can I just cut out where this patch would end up above the seam? I looked at a build where the panel was cut and bent over at the seam is this absolutely necessary? Also, I will need to try to sneak this inner rocker between the floor support and the pillar patch, then try to bolt it together not sure if this is possible with the torque box on, can some of these things that were previously bolted, be welded instead or is that not good practice?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
jthomass

Sorry, I just re-read my previous post and it is unclearly written.
The two questions I was attempting to ask you guys are as follows. 1. do I have to cut my floor patch to match that seam or can I cut above that seam since the patch panel goes above it? (not sure about structural issues within that seam)
2. That area where the ends of the floor support, front pillar, and inner rocker meet together and are bolted with 4 bolts. Can any of this be welded together or should it all be bolted somehow again? (not sure how with my current situation)
Thanks in advance for any instruction on these items!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
lks dcvn

1. I did the floor patch to the firewall by cutting the floor patch to the seam and then folding it over to recreate the factory look. I would then fill it with seam sealer like the factory did. I guess you could do it without the seam...

2. The bolt area could be welded up solid if you wanted to...I know a few members have done it. It is easier to unbolt and fix the rust since all parts are 'seperate', but when years of rust have their way with a truck - they might as well be welded up anyway.
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
jthomass

Thanks lks dcvn. May I ask how you got a nice bend on your patch at that seam? That is what concerns me, kinda worried about mutilating the piece with a plier trying to bend it.
On that intersection of parts, I wish I could get to the underside for bolting it together, but with the inner rocker as part of the floor patch and the torque box still on I think I would have to cut a chunk out of the new floor patch to get the bolts and nuts on there. Maybe that is what I'm suppose to do??
Thanks again
Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
lks dcvn

I used a set of wide jaw welding pliers to get the bend at the seam.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
jaros44sr

Looks good so far...it looks like installed the lower portion of the A post already. It might make it difficult to fit the kick panel, floor patch,rocker panel backer, and body mount doghouse, if the A pillar patch is welded to the doghouse body mount

As far as the seam goes, it just makes it look more finished, as that was the way the factory did it. Plus, you dont want to use up all of the patch panel so you can still make future repairs if need be....

The bend can be made with a piece of 90 degree channel and some vice grips, just about all of us have made repairs in that area, common rust area, so ask away if you have questions

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
jthomass

Thanks jaros44sr for the advice. I decided I will try the folding over of the patch panel, so I took out that floor section up to the seam. I realized I need a lower piece of kick panel so I ordered those. In the meantime I decided to go and work on that back pillar with the rocker box reinforcement plate. I installed the new plate, but thought I could patch the pillar part on this side. I will load a picture of it, unfortunatly I am NOT an elite welder. I patched the lower part of the pillar and made a new bolting flange. I probably should have bought a new part, but hopefully this will work. I sprayed everything with a rust inhibitor (phosphoric acid I think) then a weld through primer hoping that will help hold back some future rust. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on if I should change anything please let me know. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
jthomass

Looking for some more advice. I have been working on the inner rocker and have it tacked in place. I clamped the outer rocker where it is suppose to go and between the inner and outer rocker I have a 3/8" gap on the back end and a 5/8" gap on the front. It is hard to see in the pic but the gap I am talking about is where the rubber seal goes. I am thinking if the outer rocker is lined up properly the with the front and back that the difference in the gap with the inner rocker shouldnt be the end of the world, but I would like some feedback if anyone else has run into this??
Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
jthomass

Retrying to load picture for last post
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomass View Post
Retrying to load picture for last post
Try fitting your door at this point, should give you a better idea what has to go where...dont make any welds that cant be removed, i see tack welds, so that is good

Locating the outer rocker on the a and b post is the most important step. Youmay have to dimple your lower a post patch to get the rocker to set right and lower

You can use zip screws or clecos to hold the rocker on while you fit up the door....well done so far

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 12-20-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: because i can
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
1949gmc

jaros gives good advice...he's been here before. If the door lines up well with the rocker, then your inner may be too far in- that's too big of a gap, I think. The inner and outer were spot welded together at the top near where the weatherstrip goes on. This picture gives you an idea of the amount of overlap between the two pieces. So, your new pieces should overlap the same amount.

Name:  100_ 061A.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  47.8 KB
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #22
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
jaros gives good advice...he's been here before. If the door lines up well with the rocker, then your inner may be too far in- that's too big of a gap, I think. The inner and outer were spot welded together at the top near where the weatherstrip goes on. This picture gives you an idea of the amount of overlap between the two pieces. So, your new pieces should overlap the same amount.

Attachment 844312
man am i glad i am done with rust....the most time consuming, dirtiest, bloodiest, part of the build. My head hurts just thinking about it, and every week another one shows up.
Where would we be without forums

Thanks for the props, but i have seen many people on here jump right in and give good sound advise to someone asking for it. This is the perfect place to sit back and hang out.
Shame i have to be at work for 8 hours

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
1949gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
man am i glad i am done with rust....the most time consuming, dirtiest, bloodiest, part of the build. My head hurts just thinking about it
And don't forget about the black snot you end up blowing out of your nose at the end of the day... imagine what our lungs look like. Yuck.

A LOT of people take a LOT of pictures, you being one of them, to help out folks who've never been down this road before... and those people and those pictures, all of them, are a godsend. So, kudos to all of you who do that. I can tell you that nobody does such a thing for '63 Ford Galaxies...
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #24
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
And don't forget about the black snot you end up blowing out of your nose at the end of the day... imagine what our lungs look like. Yuck.

A LOT of people take a LOT of pictures, you being one of them, to help out folks who've never been down this road before... and those people and those pictures, all of them, are a godsend. So, kudos to all of you who do that. I can tell you that nobody does such a thing for '63 Ford Galaxies...
The reason i take so many pictures is that i dont have much to say

Hey, whats a '63 galaxy?

Mr Thomass, if the gap bothers you that much, just split the differance, and maybe bring one in and the other out. I would worry if the seal around the door doesnt meet the door properly

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 12-20-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
vanman72

off to a good start! gives me some motivation to start tearing into mine