The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
BMERDOC

Coatings?

I don't think this has been talked about for while so I'll bring it up again because there might be some new stuff out there I'm not aware of....

I'm blasting and painting my control arms and other parts. I don't want to paint or powder coat my cross shafts and end nuts because I know the paint will be scratched and knocked off when I go to put everything back together again. Sooo...anybody seen any new at-home coating products or have a method that's easy enough to do? I'm a tad familiar with Blackening but it seems like a lot of set-up for something so little. I'd love to have several options such as black and silver finishes or a grey. What are my options?
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
mike16

Re: Coatings?

Anything you put on has the potential to be scratched when the part is installed. So i think the convienence of being able to touch it up later is a consideration. In corvette land I would wrap surfaces with masking tapes available through paint supply stores. it does not eliminate the scratch scenario but reduces it to managable levels.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
leftybass209

There are coatings that body men use on metal surfaces to prevent rust. Something like that can be used, but needs to be reapplied. You can always tape and wrap painted parts to prevent scratching. An extra set of hands helps tremendously when fitting awkward or heavy parts.

If it's an original restoration, such as those concourse types, surface rust is allowed and even necessary in some cases for good scores during judging.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Paint bolts after installed?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
BMERDOC

Its your run-of-the-mill frame layin' Resto-mod (if that makes sense). Its defiantly on a budget but I want things to look nice as they are re-assembled. I thought the obvious too...just touch up paint after reinstalling but we all know what a bolt looks like after paint and then cinched down...messy. I'm hoping for a cheap solution and because its on a budget its slow going so ease in repeatability and set up would be nice. Oh well, like Granny used to say "$h1t in one hand and want in the other. See which one fills up first" Haha. I don't mind some scratches, I just wanna avoid crushed paint and I really don't want to paint every. Single. Piece on this truck. I'd like to add some other coatings to things for texture and a nice finished look.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
BMERDOC

Leftybass, I believe you are referring to pickling. I may have to revisit that option.***edit...nope, pickling is for cleaning steel***

Sidenote: We have a second rate chrome shop nearby. I wonder how much nickel would cost?
Easiest Alignment Ever!

Last edited by BMERDOC; 09-17-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Don't paint the hardware till after installed. BTW, here is your PM (Public Message) letting you know I received my door handles... Thanks!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
67 chevelle

sharkhide or clear paint
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
BMERDOC

I'm glad they'll work for you Special-k. I'll get this figured out. Its not rocket science. I was curious if anything new was out there. I'll research sharkhide.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 09-19-2015, 12:02 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

As far as coatings goes, I think any will damage like paint when torqued on. I'm thinking powder coats, anodized, etc. Treatments are what you want, such as Parkerized, or plating, such as zinc or cadium.

I just put new hardened allen head bolts on my '72 to hold the lock-out hubs on with. It's a black steel. I think it eventually rusts, so a dull cleared them. It may have been better to wait, but I was anxious. I could see it lifted when I torqued on them. I assume it will pop off in time

Tim

Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
BMERDOC

I talked to several platers today and one recommended www.caswellplating.com They have do-it-yourself kits and that includes cadmium. The price isn't too bad considering I'll probably want to continue this process on other pieces on the truck. I looked up the Sharkhide and if it works like they say it does its not a bad option and even at $60 a bottle it would probably still go a good ways on smaller parts. The last option and certainly viable, as you pointed out Special-K, is a clear. I found that Valspar, Rustoleum and Krylon all make a satin clear. Blasting and painting then touching up small spots wouldn't kill me as a low cost option.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Rocket3

LOOK at KBS coatings. Colors available for rust prevent on blasted metals.