The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Considering another square body!

Sitting out here in the hot desert during this wonderful deployment, I am contemplating another square body to add to my garage.

I know I want a 4x4 lwb. 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton I am undecided. This will mainly be used as just a fun weekend type toy which would also be used for winter driving, light towing, and hauling of any type of material that comes up (dirt, mulch, home depot runs, motorcycles.

Also, it must have a 73-80 front end but with the TBI small block. I had carbureted vehicles in the past, never again, especially with the drastic temperature changes in the north-east. I have been extremely happy with the reliability, ease of maintenance, and fuel mileage from my 87 2wd.

It seems easier, atleast around here, to find a solid 81-87. 73-80 is almost non-existed here, but I wouldn't mind traveling to pick up a clean 73-80.

Would it be easier to convert an 81-87 with the older front end or, convert a 73-80 with TBI fuel injection?

Any other things to look for with the 4x4? I already know all to much about the rust issues, just finished the restoration of my 87 which will not be seeing any winter driving. The 4x4 I get will be rust-proofed best to my ability and cleaned after winter drives.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: Considering another square body!

Come out here and find yourself a clean rust free body, (they are everywhere) then skip the TBI idea all together and just do an LS swap
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Outlaw87

Re: Considering another square body!

My 2 cents-

If you are happy with your 87 TBI and would like to have another, find an 87 you like and do the front end conversion. Any other year and you'll be doing a sheet metal swap and engine work.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Outlaw87 is offline   Reply With Quote