The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
chevy3100truck

#minijimmygmc Wifey's 1990 K5 Jimmy rebuild

So my wife decided late in 2016 that she wanted to ditch her Trailblazer (truly hated that thing) and get a square body Blazer/Jimmy or Suburban. I ended up trading her Trailblazer for an 86 Suburban (which has parts from at least 3-4 different trucks on it) and some cash to buy a project for daily driver.

Finding a K5 that wasn't completely rotten around here is virtually impossible, so I just took the best I could find at a sane price ($2500 - Canadian). From the records I got with it, it looks like it had 1 owner from 1990-2012 who kept all the service records. It was then sold to a guy who added the lift & tires as a weekend mud toy. Had 160,000KM (100000 miles) on it. Typicaly 350/700r4 setup, dealer installed AC that sort of worked (I really didn't think dealer installed AC was still a thing by 1990 but apparently it was....)

My daughter decided it would be called the "Mini-Jimmy" since she thought it was small and cute lol. Well, it is a lot shorter than the Suburban but it was sitting on 38" Swampers with a 6" lift......

Needless to say, it didn't look too bad, but I knew it had it's share of warts.

It was really fun to drive home on snow & ice covered roads with the swampers and a stuck drivers side front brake caliper....

So - first things first - gut the interior - how I hate red interiors.....
Attached Images

chevy3100truck is offline   Reply With Quote