The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
lks dcvn

Blazer cargo area floor swap - old floor removal tips

I have seen a few threads where people have replaced their rusty cargo area floors with the new aftermarket ones available now.

Looking for guidance on if you pulled the old piece as one unit or cut it out to make removal easier. Keep the bedsides in place or remove those as well?

If there are tips/advice on doing this replacement - I welcome any insight you can provide.

Thanks!
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Blazer cargo area floor swap - old floor removal tips

I took mine out in pieces b/c I needed to reuse the cross silles and at the time didn't have the right tool to do it any other way. Started at the rear and cut up to the first cross member, then cut across to expose spot welds, then drilled them out, separated the floor and cut across then the second set of spot welds were exposed drill and repeat down the cargo area

Shear that cuts a pig tail and a angle grinder required

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
Tomo

Great question - I’m interested in hearing everyone’s suggestions also.
Tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
hemi43

Bedsides don't have to be removed. Once the rearmost crossmember is unbolted and the tack welds removed, the besides will spread far enough so that the bed floor can be easily installed. It's actually an easy job that should only take a few hours to do.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Jennandrand

I’d say the biggest pain is all the spot welds. Think you’ve got em all? Wrong! They are all over the place and sometimes hard to identify because of rusty surfaces. I also remember removing the floor around the bedsides to be a little tricky because the edge of the floor has a lip that holds it in place and makes it hard to get out from under the bedsides. Unbolting rusty bolts hooked to the crossmembers was also quite an ordeal. Carriage bolts and the floor was so rusted that the heads of the bolts just sheared the sheet metal when I tried to loosen the nuts. I ended up cutting a lit in the center of many bolts that I could stick a flat screwdriver in to help hold them still.
I used cutting wheel, air chisel, weld cutting bits, plenty of WD40 or PB Blaster on the bolts, and cut mine out in pieces. First timer, kept the bedsides on, mine def took more than a few hours of trial and error. I replaced with 2 piece front and rear panels.

Last edited by Jennandrand; 02-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Jennandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
jaros44sr

ASK on the board if any one needs patches, I was selling patches for awhile after I cut mine out

Also, there are two bolts in the B pillar area that can't be reached, had to cut mine off from the bottom

I also supported my bedsides from the rafters

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
litebulblsc

I want to attemp mine this Spring. I want to get it out in 1 piece, as I have a decent long bed floor to cut down and need the original as a template.

Mine is going to be fun as a p.o. welded patch panels over areas where parts bolt together. E.g. I cannot see any of the inner wheel well bolts in the floor.

Last edited by litebulblsc; 02-20-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: E.g not i.e. bad at Latan
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
lks dcvn

I replaced the body mounts and bolts a few months after buying this truck so at least that part won't be problematic. Every one needed to be drilled out since they were all rusted beyond repair.

I will still need to remove the wiring from the rear x-member under the bed and good call on the bolts that are in the b-pillar and are hidden. I've had to cut those out before and it wasn't fun. Pix for reference.

From one of my old build threads: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341224

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=107

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=177

Has anybody found a way to access these from the top w/o cutting the inner bed b-pillar from inside the bed? When installing the new bed and bedsides - how are people bolting these together?
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
1rippen6

Not all were bolted from the factory, the last 2 I bought didn't have the bolts there. One was a 72 and the other was a 71. I talked to a buddy of mine about it, who has owned about 2 dozen and he said he has ran across the same thing where they were never installed from the assembly plant.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
lleff

when i replaced mine i left the bedsides in place. i though it would help insure the floor was going back in where it needed to. i also planned on replacing the bedsides so i knew if i had to get rough with them or anything i wouldn't be bothered by it. i cut the floor from the wheel wells removing the large center section. this made it much easier to get the bolts out from the bedsides having easy access to the top and bottom. i hope this helps. feel free to ask any questions
lleff is offline   Reply With Quote