The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Question on bucket seats with backs

So I think I sorta know what I want because of a thread I had over in the burb area.

This isn't a WTB right now via the board. I'm going to start a search for a set of sport buckets with the plastic backs, they don't need to flip forward on the passenger side, but if they do so be it. Ill be looking semi locally, I'm in zero hurry. I thought I had a line on a set but it fell through.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when buying buckets? I for sure want seats with the plastic backs. And they need to be 71/72 style. Because they are ridiculously priced I don't want to buy some and find out ... Oh those are for 73, or these seat mounts are the wrong style. Maybe there is a thread that points this out? I was unable to find one via search.

Thanks for any insights.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Question on bucket seats with backs

I think the same style of seat was used until 1975. They should be much easier to find.

I believe only the covers will be different. The replacement foam I bought for my buckets were listed as 71-75

edit: forgot the bases are different on the square body. I made my bases (sliders) from two sets of bench brackets
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Talking from personal experience if your going to be putting the factory buckets in a pickup and mounting them in the original spots on the floor the backs will rub the back of the cab.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Greg, my hunch is these will be for his Panel. Mark, want to be looking for K/5 buckets and you will get the tilting passenger seat with backs. As you probably know, the only other buckets that came with backs were Suburban, which don't tilt. Might as well include truck buckets in your search if tilting seat isn't needed. Unless you buy a sweet set, the plastic backs are likely to need replacement anyway.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Tim my panel will have a tilting bench out of a 67 or 68. The covers are being built right now.

What's happened is when all my truck stuff shakes out I want to have a four wheel drive for playing and winter. I have finally collected (Im pretty sure at least) every thing I need to put together a four wheel drive burb and a SWB four wheel drive the way I want it. I cant afford, or need, two. One is a 71 and one is a 72. So every part I have squirreled away will work on either except of course from the rear of the front doors back. When I make my final decision the left overs from one will be sold and help pay for the other.

I have perfectly good benches, but have decided I want sport buckets. If they go in a burb Ill need the backs. If they go in a truck Id like them too but didn't realize the backs would rub (one of the reasons I started this thread). Also I didn't know I could use bench brackets and sliders. Id like to see how that works because I have several very nice sets of those. The reason I didn't care if they flipped is if that's all I could find and I kept the truck I could at least flip the seat forward to get at rear storage since I would want to move the tank to the rear anyway.

Lots of good insights so far ... thanks!
CG is offline   Reply With Quote