The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #251
Pappyx3!

Re: Zane's Ride

Spent time yesterday reading through this thread. Ashamed to say I have been on here for over a year and didn't know about this until Aerotruk63 posted in the 60-66 Pay it Forward thread.

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad to see that your family, community and members of this site have embraced this project. There's healing found in a project of remembrance.

My son Old327 and I are doing this one in memory of my dad/his grandfather that he never got to meet.

Praying all your families needs are met!

Pappyx4!
Attached Images

John 3:16
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #252
Zane'sMom

Thank you, Pappy! What a wonderful commemoration project you did! And hello again everyone. I am sorry I have not been on in a while. I did email the Auto repair instructor for a status update, and am waiting to hear back. Working on: trying to coordinate paint and clear, since my last attempt to get a price break from a local auto paint supplier did not go through - I plan to contact the PPG shop in Anchorage to see how they can help; also, still working on getting a rebuilt transmission for the truck; And working with local Nash club to see if they can help with a raffle as we get to within a year of completion. I want to raise as much moolah as possible for Make-A-Wish! I will keep you all posted. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #253
Zane'sMom

I have a photo from the instructor to post, but it is too large. I have to work on resizing, and then I will try to post it. They are getting ready to bolt the suspension back on the frame. The instructor will give me a more detailed update soon!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #254
Zane'sMom

I contacted the PPG shop in Anchorage, but they do not do automotive paint; But, they did tell me that Carquest has PPG automotive paint, and there are 2 Carquests in Fairbanks!! I plan to go tomorrow to see what quote I can get. Also, I have asked for further updates from the instructors; I plan to go to the school on Friday Oct 23, and I will try to get some photos.
As far as raffling the completed project, I contacted the local Nash Car Club to see if they could help with it, but there charitable status does not allow it. I have contacted the local Lion's Club to see if they can help. In Alaska, getting a raffle license as an individual is very difficult, so I need an established organization to do it. Hopefully I will get a good response!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #255
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Make a Wish can't help raffle it off? I would think the powers that be would be willing to bend a little for a great organization and cause.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #256
wcstory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane'sMom View Post
As far as raffling the completed project, I contacted the local Nash Car Club to see if they could help with it, but there charitable status does not allow it. I have contacted the local Lion's Club to see if they can help. In Alaska, getting a raffle license as an individual is very difficult, so I need an established organization to do it. Hopefully I will get a good response!
Please let us know when you have raffle arrangements made.

You have all of our soft spots covered on this one. Can't think of a more worthy cause and enjoyed reading about the project.

My GMC Photos
wcstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #257
Zane'sMom

Thank you!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #258
Zane'sMom

I emailed Make-A-Wish asking for suggestions about the raffle, and asking for their help; no reply yet.
I did get a quote on PPG paint from Carquest; they can get me paint (with clear mixed in) and primer for just over $900; way better than the quote I got from another local paint shop! My husband and I will be going to the school this Friday to get an update and talk to the instructor about paint, transmission, tires/wheels, etc. and to get photos.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #259
Zane'sMom

I heard back from Make-A-Wish. It is a lengthy and costly process to get a gaming license in Alaska, so they cannot provide this service to my project. I do have other contacts I can reach out to, plus there is still time to get that arranged. My husband and I visited the school last Friday (still have to download photos) and got an update. There will be some reworking of the body repair; the biggest progress will be on the chassis; the goal is to have a rolling chassis by the end of this year, with brakes, rebuilt transmission, and rebuilt engine, the air ride suspension (thanks, ddubbs) and new tires and wheels in place. The instructor wants to have that rolling chassis at a car show to talk up the students in his program; they are award winning in the state, by the way. So my next steps are to get ideas for the tires/wheels that will look best on the truck, so that we can get those by the end of the year. We also talked paint; he suggested that he and I put together a proposal to a paint company (at national level) sometime next year, and that way we can get a really good price. Next year I will try to get a new windshield. I hope to get pics posted this weekend!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #260
aerotruk63

Sounds like things are coming together. The car show sounds like a great promotion. Please let me know when the raffle happens please. I'd buy a ticket and I'm sure a few other members would as well.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #261
Zane'sMom

I am having a chili feed at the hospital where I work on Monday; hoping to raise more dough. Also, I purchased more protective coating for the suspension, and I found pictures of trucks on pinterest showing some ideas for wheels/tires and emailed them to the instructor to see what he thinks; he is hoping to have a rolling chassis, on new rubber, soon. I have been in contact with the local Lions Club to see if they can do the raffle for the project. Hope all of you have a good Christmas. After the Holidays, I will post again, hopefully with an update from the instructor.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #262
Zane'sMom

We raised 740 dollars! I emailed the instructor, and he says we should see good progress in the next couple of months. I will ask him for photos as they go along.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #263
Indian113

That's some good News! It will be great to see the updates.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #264
Zane'sMom

Hello, all! Sorry I have not been on in a while; I haven't been slacking, though! I finally was able to have a day off work to go check on the project. I posted the pics on the Zane's Ride facebook page and hopefully my husband and I will be able to post them here. I never have much luck with that, though, so please go check them out on facebook. The students have been reworking dents, getting ready to attach the suspension, and have then engine ready to be powdercoated Chevrolet orange! Thanks, everyone!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #265
Zane'sMom

Oh, and if end up not getting a raffle sponsor, I will have it auctioned; I plan to have a lot of advertising to lead up to that, to hopefully get a lot of $$$ for Make-A-Wish!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #266
aerotruk63

I believe this is a link to the Zanes Ride facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Zanes-Ride-427908873936733/

Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #267
Zane'sMom

Thanks, Aero!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #268
testerdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane'sMom View Post
Oh, and if end up not getting a raffle sponsor, I will have it auctioned; I plan to have a lot of advertising to lead up to that, to hopefully get a lot of $$$ for Make-A-Wish!
Please make sure to reach out to me when you go to auction it. I'm an automotive journalist and can send stories to Truck Trend, eBay Motors, Pickuptrucks.com and elsewhere. Plus, I have lots of automotive journalist friends who would gladly share the story.
testerdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:53 AM   #269
aerotruk63

Hi Mom any updates?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #270
Zane'sMom

Wow. Sorry I have not been on in so long - very busy at work and with family. Anyway, I was in touch with the instructor in the last month or so, and he was going to get with a local shop about getting rebuilt transmission for the truck; School is on holiday break right not, so in January, I will reach out to the instructor again, and ask for an update on that, and other progress. Still, the project will likely not be done for another couple of years - it is a lot to put together while fitting it in with class curriculum...
12/27 is the 5th anniversary of Zane's death, so needless to say, I am thinking of him all the time, missing him. I am so fortunate to have been (still am) his Mom.
Have a blessed Holiday Season, everyone!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #271
aerotruk63

Anything new?

Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #272
Zane'sMom

Unfortunately, I have not heard back from the instructor; I will email him again, and I am going to try to go to the school later this month to get an update.
Other than that, we are just trying to get out from under the snow; there is a lot of it!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #273
Zane'sMom

Hello, all! I heard from the instructor Friday; he tells me that they did not have an auto body class this school year, so unfortunately could not do any work on that front; but, they are prepping to paint the engine, and put finishing touches on that, including new intake manifold and carb/air cleaner; the frame needs more paint, then they will prep for suspension installation, which will happen next school year; still working on securing a transmission.
I have asked him to get me the specs on the engine parts, so we can order those, and I will get more paint; I have also asked him to email me some photos, since I don't think I will get to the school before school year ends this week.

I will post more info as I get it, including any pics that he sends me. Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #274
Zane'sMom

Hello, everyone! I got a message from the instructor, and he says he got a truck bed that needs just a little work (in better shape than the one we have); still working on getting a transmission, but we have some leads for that. I am also going to have a chili feed fundraiser at the hospital where I work late October.
My husband and I are going to try to visit the school soon and get some new pics to post.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #275
aerotruk63

Picture update would be great.