The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #26
maverickmk

Re: Door Seal Opinions Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
They fit under the stainless threshold as well (if equipped) without trimming?
Sorry, I will let you know this weekend. I have a new set coming and will install them to see. I don't see a problem, but than again, you never know.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #27
OregonNed

Sofseals worked great for me.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #28
OregonNed

Ah! And when my 06 Civic got totaled I wish I’d have pulled them!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #29
mygmctruck1

Like every one else my doors won’t close with the precision seals . I thought I would get a universal seal with much less rubber. The precision seals have about a 5/8”:seal , I ordered a door seal with a 3/8”:thickness. I already know the precision seals are to thick , so we,’ll see how this works out.

I’ll keep you all posted.
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #30
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Door Seal Opinions Please

Here is my video of the door shutting with new press on seals from precision.
New latches and good door adjustment is key here I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uqy1iAt5-g

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #31
72tutone

Just an FYI for anyone who is thinking about installing the altman easy latches as well. The precision pinch on will not work. The pressure with the door shut is ridiculous. You need 4 large peoples thumbs to open the door handle. And my 72 has the vent, and the precision pinch on do have the holes drilled in that relieve pressure.

I'm going to the yard this weekend in hopes to find some honda seals.
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #32
cebra

Installed the Honda Civic seals (I bought new ones as I couldn't find any black). They fit way better than Precision, I can actually shut my door now without slamming and the doors don't fly open when "unlatched". The Civic seals are fairly thin (1/4" thinner than Precision) so there are a couple small gaps I need to bend the pinch weld out to seal the air whistles. The biggest issue for me is that they have an additional lip on the inside that for the Civic goes between the sheetmetal and plastic trim that just kind of hangs out, they don't look great in my opinion but this is one area I have to choose function over looks.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #33
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Installed the Honda Civic seals (I bought new ones as I couldn't find any black). They fit way better than Precision, I can actually shut my door now without slamming and the doors don't fly open when "unlatched". The Civic seals are fairly thin (1/4" thinner than Precision) so there are a couple small gaps I need to bend the pinch weld out to seal the air whistles. The biggest issue for me is that they have an additional lip on the inside that for the Civic goes between the sheetmetal and plastic trim that just kind of hangs out, they don't look great in my opinion but this is one area I have to choose function over looks.

Couldn't the lip be trimmed off?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #34
MDPotter

Glad to hear they improved the condition! Mine are a little hard to close, I might have to mess with some pinch welds some day.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #35
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I used GMC Paul's on my 68 and was very pleased with them. My doors shut great and both lock like they are suppose to. Getting the doors adjusted and installing new latches is the key to a good shutting door!
My son and I just installed a set of GMC Paul's push on style on his 86 K10 and they work perfectly.
I did the glue on deal on the 68 and what a pia....they work fine but time consuming and messy imho.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #36
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

As mentioned in my earlier post, I originally used the new style push on door seals from Brothers and they did not work out. I then installed Trique Altman Easy Latches with little improvement. I then installed new Honda Civic seals and and I am very happy with the results. The combination of those seals with my latches is the ticket.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #37
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Couldn't the lip be trimmed off?

LockDoc
I'll try to get a picture of it but it is essentially shaped like a W rather than a V like the originals. The left side of the W would be on the outside of the pinch weld and the middle peak and right peak of the W are on the inside. If you were to cut the most inside (the vehicle) peak off to go from a W to a V then it would be unfinished. They look kind of dumb on the truck to be honest but they fit and work great.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #38
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I'll try to get a picture of it but it is essentially shaped like a W rather than a V like the originals. The left side of the W would be on the outside of the pinch weld and the middle peak and right peak of the W are on the inside. If you were to cut the most inside (the vehicle) peak off to go from a W to a V then it would be unfinished. They look kind of dumb on the truck to be honest but they fit and work great.

OK, Thanks.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #39
72tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by derotoreut View Post
As mentioned in my earlier post, I originally used the new style push on door seals from Brothers and they did not work out. I then installed Trique Altman Easy Latches with little improvement. I then installed new Honda Civic seals and and I am very happy with the results. The combination of those seals with my latches is the ticket.

That is good to hear as I also have just installed the altman latches as well.
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #40
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I picked up the civic seals and agree with cebra. They fit great. Doors close still with some effort and I have the altman latches. I just think they look terrible. Not sure what to try next. I took a look at some Dakota seals at pick and pull. I think they will look like the civics. Maybe some big truck door seals from a Pete would work?
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #41
NorCalC20LWB

Just installed the Precision press on style from GMC Pauls. Extremely easy install, especially compared to glue on, and they work great. Very happy with the quick shipping and end result.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #42
Ultrasummer

I used the press on from LMC or Brothers, I forget. Did not work out at all. Way too thick. I threw them out and went and bought residential rubber door seals that would go around your exterior doors in your house. Redneck but works.
Ultrasummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #43
Ultrasummer

Quote:
So out of curiosity, Do you order them for any particular year? Like for a 2020 civic? Does the year matter and they're all the same?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #44
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Not sure what to try next. I took a look at some Dakota seals at pick and pull. I think they will look like the civics.
Here are a couple pictures of the Dakota seals I'm using. The pics were taken a few years ago for another thread where someone was wondering how they'd fit at the front corner. The look is fine, but the doors don't close like a modern truck.. However, these doors had to be closed with a slam since day 1. Hell, I've been slamming the doors for 5 decades. It does help to leave at least one fresh air vent partially open as LockDoc suggested in a previous post.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #45
SRU1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasummer View Post
So out of curiosity, Do you order them for any particular year? Like for a 2020 civic? Does the year matter and they're all the same?
Use these, I got the information from a thread on here. The work great for my 1972 C10.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...sva-a01za.html
SRU1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #46
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasummer View Post
You need 06-11 Honda 2dr Civic door seals. They fit perfect. I found a guy in CL that was parting one out and got them for $40.00.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #47
Ultrasummer

Fantastic. Just might have to give that a try this summer. Thanks
Old 03-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #48
notsolo

I had nice Precision push on gaskets, readjusted the doors, made a couple air holes in the gaskets still would not close, correctly.....I found a pair of 06 Honda Civic seals in the junk yard. $5...big difference, the doors close without hard slam....
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #49
zschary

Old thread but throwing my name in the mix for civic seals when folks look this up.. I had the precision ones, even the dodge ones.. Do not use them, seems like most have had issues with door closing.. Its not even close.. The doors have never been off my truck so it is the seal.. No dealer would have a car like that on the lot where you have to slam it, or wait for months for it to be ok, i believe they are incorrect.. I had precision redo my vent windows and other things and they are the absolute top notch in this area, but not on the door seal thing.. The honda civic seals fit good and seal all the way around and its like a bank vault closing the door, like it was new.. You can see the honda seal is just smaller in the area where the door closes against it and in my view is a correct fit..
so for what its worth, cost me some money learning the lesson, the honda seals you can still order new for 50 or 60 bucks apiece.. do that..
zschary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #50
leddzepp

I’ve tried every seal offered on the market and every other suggested seal ever posted. All had problems except the civic seals. I’ve used them on 3 trucks now and they are by far the best fit. Sourced all of them from pick and pull yards for about $10 a pair.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote