The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

tricks for getting the front clip on

I'm trying to mount my radiator support and fenders. But my fenders are not lining properly. I'm thinking the new rubber radiator support mounts need to be tightened up to make the reveal correct.
Am I over looking anything?

How do I keep the radiator support level - or does it even matter? (As long as the fenders reveal are correct)

Do I need to measure or install the hood to make the front clip square somehow?
Please share your tricks or other strategies to make this as smooth as possible.
s/t

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Re: tricks for getting the front clip on

Sorry I can't help you but I'd Like to Subscibe if its ok with you I will need this some day I just have to finish up my wireing then Bring the pressure on at the body shop where my doors and fenders have been waiting to get painted since January its going to be a year and they still haven't even seen paint Every time I call they say they haven't done any work to them and they will work on them on the weekend Yup Thats maybe an hour a weekend they are lucky I'm a very patient guy I just don't want to loose my $500 Down But it has given me time to clean up my engine bay..I am for sure going to ask for a Discount
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 12-01-2008 at 08:56 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Subscribe away! I thought this would be easy but the more I thought about it the more that could end up wrong!
I’m wondering if I should use a tape measure to square off the fender to the radiator support to make them square, then install the hood to check fitment.
We’ll see.
Good luck with your project.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

That is exactly what I'm afraid of when I get to that point I thought the fenders would be easy What scares me is the doors and scraching the Paint.....Even thought of paying some one to put them on but it feels better to do it myself....
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
71 super

Square the core support with the cab. The cab is still in the original position, but you pulled core correct? The support holes in frame have an allowance for quite a bit of adjustment. Did the fenders have any shims at the top or lower attach points? To get the top and bottom to sit flush at the door you may have to shim them out- also there are different thicknesses of shims to get the desired effect. I suggest that you put everything together loosely so that you can adjust the squareness of the clip. If you put the hood on you will be able to see if the clip is out of square as well, just don't slam the hood . Pull a tape diagonally to squre the core and go from there. Hope this helps, also do you have an assembly manual? There are several dedicated sections to gap tolerance. Harold
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Square the core support with the cab. The cab is still in the original position, but you pulled core correct? The support holes in frame have an allowance for quite a bit of adjustment. Did the fenders have any shims at the top or lower attach points? To get the top and bottom to sit flush at the door you may have to shim them out- also there are different thicknesses of shims to get the desired effect. I suggest that you put everything together loosely so that you can adjust the squareness of the clip. If you put the hood on you will be able to see if the clip is out of square as well, just don't slam the hood . Pull a tape diagonally to squre the core and go from there. Hope this helps, also do you have an assembly manual? There are several dedicated sections to gap tolerance. Harold
Yes the cap is in its original position, an I had the radiator support off.

I have all the shims for the fenders in their correct spot. The fenders look great shim wise, It's just too high at the radiator support, causing the gap at the bottom to be too wide.

While thinking about this i was concerned about making the front clip square.

Anyone have neat tricks for setting this right the first time?

s/t
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
skchevota

If you changed your core support mounts and not the cab mounts, that would be why it is high. the cab mounts are most likley degraded. If not, and the support is still high after you tighten the core support then you will need to shim up the cab.
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchevota View Post
If you changed your core support mounts and not the cab mounts, that would be why it is high. the cab mounts are most likley degraded. If not, and the support is still high after you tighten the core support then you will need to shim up the cab.
The core support is only finger tight now... I'm sure it will draw down plenty, just need to make sure its square. (or anything else that need to be done before I sink it down.)

s/t