The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Thealien

Blazer interior and carpet suggestions

I'll be receiving my 1972 two wheel drive blazer soon. It is in need of an interior update or upgrade. I plan on driving without a top (maybe a bikini top) and might get caught in the rain once in a while here in New england.

First I plan on lizard skin, linex or a similar product on the entire floor and up the bed sides.

Dynamat (for sound and rattle reductions) in the doors and the bedsides.

How bad will the replacement foam and seat covers absorb and retain moisture? If this will not work I am considering having the seats and rear panels covered in marine vinyl.

I know many don't like the bed liners but I am 58 disabled and expect to have this forever.

I will carpet the front and rear. Knowing they may get wet (part of the reason for coating). Who makes quality carpet sets? Any forum members carry it?

Thanks
Open to any and all suggestions and criticism!

I will be doing a build thread when it arrives and I start. Sadly due to my disability I have to pay someone for everything..
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
psuedopimp

Re: Blazer interior and carpet suggestions

I’m interested in the same info. I have read that a good paint job will protect the interior from moisture just as well as rhino lining. I also heard that the lining can trap water and rust underneath it. I guess there is no bullet proof way, but the original way lasted 50 years.

1970 Blazer in progress
psuedopimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuedopimp View Post
I’m interested in the same info. I have read that a good paint job will protect the interior from moisture just as well as rhino lining. I also heard that the lining can trap water and rust underneath it. I guess there is no bullet proof way, but the original way lasted 50 years.
But not 50 years with the top off?

10 years ago I did the lining to my 1972 Jimmy 4 X 4 that I LS swapped. It worked quite well. Most don't like it because if you are looking to buy a vehicle that has been lined it "could" hide problems?

Thanks

Anyone have suggestions?
Old 02-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
stangtjk

It's easy to battle the "could hide problems" debate, just take a before picture of clean metal. But if you're set on keeping it forever it's not really an issue if someone else doesn't like the spray liners.

I'm trying to decide on a durable interior option myself. Not so much planning on getting rained on but I plan to use mine more like a truck and not install the rear seat. I want to be able to throw an axe and chainsaw in the back and not worry about spills or damage. I sprayed raptor liner already but I'd like to have some type of mat to kill the road noise a bit. I don't really want carpet but looking for something a little more upscale than a rubber mat. Maybe something I could just roll up and pull out when planning to get dirty.

Considered having some mats like these sewn up.
Attached Images

stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Wet Okole makes seat covers from wet suit material. Is a soft top an option?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Wet Okole makes seat covers from wet suit material. Is a soft top an option?
That is what I had on my 1972 Jimmy. They go over the factory seat covers and fit fair at best. I could have an upholsterer make some out of the same material but I would probably just go with marine vinyl if that is my only 2 options.

I am going to purchase the soft topper soft top but with my shoulders I would need help putting it up and down. I will put it up at the end of the season for the cooler nights and take it off at the beginning of the summer where it will remain top off except for the bikini top.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtjk View Post
It's easy to battle the "could hide problems" debate, just take a before picture of clean metal. But if you're set on keeping it forever it's not really an issue if someone else doesn't like the spray liners.

I'm trying to decide on a durable interior option myself. Not so much planning on getting rained on but I plan to use mine more like a truck and not install the rear seat. I want to be able to throw an axe and chainsaw in the back and not worry about spills or damage. I sprayed raptor liner already but I'd like to have some type of mat to kill the road noise a bit. I don't really want carpet but looking for something a little more upscale than a rubber mat. Maybe something I could just roll up and pull out when planning to get dirty.

Considered having some mats like these sewn up.
For your intended use I have a 1/2" thick rubber matt in the 6 1/2' bed on my 2012 Silverado. Maybe one of those could be cut to fit or maybe get lucky and they might have one that is really close?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Ptjsk

I checked out several items to protect the new carpet I have just installed.

Coco mats are extremely durable and tough. But they are expensive. Especially for pieces large enough for the bed section of the Jimmy/Blazer.

After viewing several different mats and covers, I ended up with a large, heavy mat that's sold at Tractor Supply.

It comes in a size of 6' x 4', made in the USA, and was under $50.00.

I have my back seat in, so I just cut/manufactured a front section, and a rear section.

It sure does seem to be durable as the mat's about 5/8" thick.

Once I get my front seat covers in and installed, I plan to get a set of Coco mats for the front section.

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote