The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Ptjsk

Information on Seat Cover Installation

Anybody know of any tutorials, or step by step videos of how to install new foam and seat covers onto the bucket seats?

I've searched and have yet to find anything for this generation of seats.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Information on Seat Cover Installation

The best way to learn is to do it yourself. The Blazer seats are about the easiest to redo especially utility buckets. All you need is a pair of hog ring pliers and a bunch of hog rings.
You cut all the original hog rings, remove the original seat cover and reverse the procedure using a new cover and hog rings. That's it!!
hemi43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
CamTra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
The best way to learn is to do it yourself. The Blazer seats are about the easiest to redo especially utility buckets. All you need is a pair of hog ring pliers and a bunch of hog rings.
You cut all the original hog rings, remove the original seat cover and reverse the procedure using a new cover and hog rings. That's it!!

Man you make that sound so easy I may try it myself!! LOL
CamTra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Ptjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Thanks! That's what I planned on doing, but thought there may be a tutorial as there are for several other seats.

I guess I'll just do it as I have several other tasks. I figure the least I can do is to try it. If I screw it up, then I'll pay somebody to do it.

Pat
Old 02-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
SeventyOne

just buy yourself a nice pair of HR Pliers...you're gonna be using the tool a lot and might as well make it comfortable.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
Ptjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
just buy yourself a nice pair of HR Pliers...you're gonna be using the tool a lot and might as well make it comfortable.
Fortunately, I found a good "old' pair at an estate sale a few months ago. I hope to be putting them to work soon.

Pat
Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
SeventyOne

FWIW I know nothing of upholstering and felt confident enough removing several hog rings from my re-upholstered rear seat to be able peel back the vinyl and install my redone seat belts, then put the material back in place and reinstall new rings.

I'm sure you'll be fine!
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The oem foam was molded about the springs and is a bear to remove. If replacing foam might as well blast and paint or powder coat the frame and springs and be prepared for broken spring replacement as needed. How are the plastic seat backs?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
Ptjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
FWIW I know nothing of upholstering and felt confident enough removing several hog rings from my re-upholstered rear seat to be able peel back the vinyl and install my redone seat belts, then put the material back in place and reinstall new rings.

I'm sure you'll be fine!
Thanks Bud! I've been doing quite a bit of work on several projects, and they have all turned out pretty darn good. I did my own headliner in my '55 Nomad (at the discouragement of many), and it turned out great! I just took my time and didn't rush things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
The oem foam was molded about the springs and is a bear to remove. If replacing foam might as well blast and paint or powder coat the frame and springs and be prepared for broken spring replacement as needed. How are the plastic seat backs?
The plastic seat backs are in great shape. I will need to paint them, but they actually look real good.

Also, ordered the new foam for both backs and bottoms of both seats. Hopefully that will help too.

When removing the oem foam, I'm thinking I can just torch off the small remaining pieces that may stick to the frame.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 02-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjsk View Post
I figure the least I can do is to try it. If I screw it up, then I'll pay somebody to do it.
Pat
While not exactly the same, I did just this on a new seat cover on an old 3 wheeler that I am redoing. Upholstery shops wanted $75 to put it on and I just couldn't see it being that hard, and I also figured I could always have them do it in the end if I failed. Turned out perfect!

Take your time and I am sure you will have great results as well!