The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
gary2232

Door Speakers

I was thinking about installing a 6" round speaker in the lower front corners of the doors in a 1972 Chevy pickup. Any reason that I should look for another location?? Looks like window will not hit??? Looking for someone with prior experience to give me the go ahead that has already done this. Will also make it easier to seal coat the inside of my doors.
gary2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Brett09

Re: Door Speakers

It's been a long time since I've installed speakers on a 72, but from what I can remember it was pretty easy and straight forward with the right tools. Make sure you use a grommet to run the wires from the doors to the cab. You can pick up a cheap hole saw kit anywhere that has sizes big enough to cut out a 6.5" speaker. You can save the piece you cut out just in case you ever want to weld it back in. As far as mountain I really recommend using a 1" ABS spacer. You can shoot a few screws through the spacer to the sheet metal of the door. The plastic spacer helps to keep the screws from vibrating out and gives a great base to mount the speaker on.

Here is a link to give you an idea what you are looking for. I've never used it to order anything just using the link to give you an idea on what you are looking for.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+SG-600DX.html

I've installed systems on everything from a Ferrari to a VW bug. It's hard to recall everything without it in front of my face, but if you to snap off a few pics of the doors w/o the panels, the space between the doors and the cab and the inside of the cab without the kick panels on. I could do a bit of editing and walk you through step by step on how to do it and where to run the wires.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
gary2232

Re: Door Speakers

Thanks Brett09 I like the idea of a hole saw and that way I can patch them back if I want.
gary2232 is offline   Reply With Quote