The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
TJSc20

does anybody have a suggestion on where to put my subs?

Im about to wire a couple 10" subs and a 1000 watt amp in my 72, obviously there isnt enough room to put the subs behind the seat, i havent seen the box yet but i doubt it will fit under the seat, does anybody have a suggestion on where to put this box where it will be out of the way and not look nig rigged?
TJSc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Re: does anybody have a suggestion on where to put my subs?

Honestly I don't think its going to work if there standard depth subs. Some of the newer shallow mount stuff (jl,pioneer) would probably work but I think you will struggle to find the air volume for 2 10's and an amp under there.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
TJSc20

thanks, im still looking right now, i wont get ahold of the setup til wednesday but i guess they are going in the floor if i cant find anywhere for them
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
TJSc20

just for future reference for anybody trying to do this i ended up getting a couple 8"s and mounting them in the doors, that seems to be the easiest way without relocating the tank.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
Brett09

I did car auto for a number of years and the only two ways to tackle that. One way is to buy shallow mount subs, which normally don't give most people the sound they are looking for. The other it to build a center console that goes from the floor and wraps up around the seat. You can get a lot of great sound out of the console at the expense of cab space. Just remember w/e subs you use need to be matched with there intended use. (I.E. sealed or ported and air space)

There is one last option and that's to start cutting into everything. In that case the sky and your wallet is the limit. If you need any help with ideas just shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can.

Last edited by Brett09; 05-22-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
TJSc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett09 View Post
I did car auto for a number of years and the only two ways to tackle that. One way is to buy shallow mount subs, which normally don't give most people the sound they are looking for. The other it to build a center console that goes from the floor and wraps up around the seat. You can get a lot of great sound out of the console at the expense of cab space. Just remember w/e subs you use need to be matched with there intended use. (I.E. sealed or ported and air space)

There is one last option and that's to start cutting into everything. In that case the sky and your wallet is the limit. If you need any help with ideas just shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can.
hey thanks, i also heard the center console idea and it was a great idea but im about to get rid of my automatic so that wouldnt work, as far as ports, i dont really have much of a choice but to make them at the bottom of the door, then again porting it toward the middle of the door would make a great fan since i dont have AC lol
Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Brett09

Time for a new set of bucket seats maybe? Ive done one console around a shifter that could have been a sub box for an 8" kicker L7. If you haven't work with wood and fiber glass a lot I really wouldn't recommend. It's hard to have function and look like it belongs in the truck and not 10 lbs or sh*t in a 2 lbs bag.

At this point I think you would be surprised what a few well placed speakers with a good amp will do. I just found some old pictures of an older truck I did, let me see if I can take a picture of them and post them for you.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
TJSc20

thatd be great, as of now i have a couple 5 1/2"s and a Fosgate 900w. the amp is running really low gain right now to the 5 1/2"s because the current head unit has NO power so it wouldnt even push 5 1/2"s. im debating on wether to get a couple 8"s or some 6X9"s

Last edited by TJSc20; 05-24-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
Brett09

Sorry I didn't get back I've been a bit busy. Most older trucks have a ton of road noise and drown a lot of sound out. My 2 cents is to fill the cab with more sound and add the 6x9's. A set of well powered 6x9's can put out some great sound and air space really isn't an issue. I have some pics of an older truck I did for a guy that just wanted some basic tunes and nothing really custom that would alter the look of the truck.

The radio is mounted in an off the self 15 dollar housing. It's simple and can be reversed in about 30 seconds with little signs it was ever there. The kick panels are about as simple and cheap to make. All you need is a half sheet of 1/4" mica and either 1/2" ish strips of 3/4" mdf or a thick dowel. Also you need felt, it can be found at any place that sales fabric, that has to be able to stretch. A can of fiberglass resin, there are two types. One that drys sticky and one that doesn't. None sticky is what you want. Finally something to cover it with and spray adhesive.

First thing to do is cut out the base and the ring the speaker with mount to. The base can be any shape that looks good to you and fits. For the ring just pop out the metal grill, if it comes out, on the speaker covers and trace those. Once those are cut out you can cut one of the strips/dowel and start fitting the base and the ring together. I found that high strength hot glue works best. Cut the strip flat for the base and angled for the ring. Just eyeball the width and angle. You can hold the speaker up to it and make sure it going to fix. Once you get the other supports on you can check the fit in the truck. As long as its pointed up and looks good to you it time to finish it.

Set the panel ring side down on the felt and pull the felt around the back (Make sure the fuzzy side of the felt will be on the outside of the panel). Use a staple gun with short staples to fasten it to the back about 1/4" in. Make sure you pull the felt just tight enough to conform around all the shapes with no sag. Once its fastened cut the extra and you're ready for the fiber glass resin. Just mix the resin and paint it one, nothing special about that. Just make sure you use enough to penetrate the wood so it has a good bond, but don't go crazy.

Once it drys and isn't sticky to touch you can sand any roughness off and cut the center out of the speaker. At this point you can cover them and install them. I will add that these are strong enough to hold up any basic door speaker but you need to add fiberglass if you're going to use this method to make a sub box. A fair amount at that.

Hope this helps you. These are super fast and easy to make. When I quit installing I could make these including covering with resin in about 15-20. Once they dry they could be finished and installed in about 20-30. Kind of a simple way to make a couple hundred bucks.

Sorry these are pictures of pictures and not supper clear.

Last edited by Brett09; 05-26-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
TJSc20

that looks awesome dude, i wish i had thought of that earlier, i got a 10 and box for free i traded for a couple blown 12s. It looks dumb because somebody put foam around the box i cant get off. But now i have a problem, I have the 10 hooked up to my 301s fosgate amp, it pushed it fine until lately, but now the sub hesitates and most of the time doesnt hit at all if the volume is way up. I figured this could be too much gain but it just started doing this out of nowhere and i dont even have it bridged, surely 75RMS isnt too much for this sub right? Any clue?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
TJSc20

Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Brett09

Haha Problem solved!