The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

DIN stereo mounting

I need tunes in my truck.I'm not gonna cut the dash but plan on a console from just below the ashtray to back between the seats.The console will probably have a radio,amp(if needed) and cupholders.I'll mount speakers in the sides at the front and probably some jacks at the rear since I have plenty of room and will probably use a couple of speaker boxes jacked in there.
So for this to work I will want an am/fm/Ipod capable unit,maybe with CD.I guess the questions I have are on how best to mount a head unit and which reasonably priced unit will be a good choice.The console will most likely be built from ply or particle board and either fiberglass or upholstered.Any guidance would be helpful since a stock unit usually suffices for me.
As you can tell by my post and questions I'm not very familiar with the terminology and such of the newer systems so please keep it simple.

The biggest issue is how best to mount a DIN unit.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: DIN stereo mounting

The "Din" is really a size, there is single, 1.5 and double.

All you really need to do is cut the single din hole (there are templates you can download and trace to cut). The stereo comes with a metal sleeve it fits into, which then gets put into the hole, and there are tabs that get bent out to hold it in place. That only supports the face, so many "Stock" applications also have a tab that supports the rear with a bolt or post on the back, and it would be a good idea to add one as well.

Most modern cd players of reasonable quality can play at almost any angle, including mounting vertically to fit into a tight center console or behind a bench seat.

I stick largely to pioneer and alpine for head units, largely because of things like Pandora interface, amp controls etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: DIN stereo mounting

De-land call these people they will answer all your ?'s about the din u have.

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
_Ogre

the single din mount has been and will be a standard for yrs to come
it is a good idea to upgrade to the single din for good tunes and a variety of manufactures

mine is mounted in the console, look at my build for more info. comment in my thread if you like it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Thanks Andy,I was browsing Crutchfield and thinking I would buy a head unit thru them.I just have never dealt with the DIN style units before.The console that Ogre has built is a lot like I was intending.I'll be looking at them some since this will probably be my winter project.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I really wouldn't buy from crutchfield. While they have good customer service and "ease of use", the prices they have are high, and their propensity for serious upselling is a major turnoff. They also only carry certain lines within the manufacturers they sell.

And by high I mean on average 20% more than many other places, and you'll get emails and catalogs from them constantly.

I've had good luck with (iirc) Sonic Electronix in terms of price, just be sure to double check the model #'s as they have a LOT of listings but sometimes the descriptions are a bit generic.
If the unit you like is available on Best Buy's website, I've had very good luck with using them for a brick and mortar source. They price match, will order anything for me within the manufacturers catalog, and make the in-house warranty/exchange stuff easy.
*bonus, if you have a friend that works at best buy they get limited access to manufacturer catalogs from brands like Alpine and Kicker sometimes, including stuff they don't sell in the stores.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote