The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
70c10guy

double din install!

Hey guys, never been in thispart of theforum before and I had a quick question. I have a 70 c10 non ac truck with stock am radio. I did the aux input mod and love it, miss the fm radio though.. really wanting to put a double din touch screen unit and all I've seen are people cutting and welding. Is there a way to just cut a hole for the sleeve and pop the radio in or is it just not that simple.. thanks for the input guys.
70c10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
lsversaw

Re: double din install!

It seems to me that the trend with the newest gear is to use the display and features of a phone or tablet, and connect it to a fairly "simple" radio. If you do it that way, your nav system, phone features (voice control, etc.), and music player are always as up to date as your phone.

On the other hand, if all that "intelligent" stuff is embedded in your double-din dash unit, the dash unit could be obsolete right about the time you figure out how to use it. The advances are coming fast and furious in nav (Google updates Maps frequently), music players (high def?), and calling features, so it makes sense those features should be in the device you're likely to change most often. Which is probably not a (4-figure?) double-din thang.

Radio receivers, amplifiers, and speakers are pretty static technology, so those are the things that you can hardwire into your car without fear of technical obsolescence.

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are examples of the dumb-car/smart-phone approach. There are multiple third-party apps that come close to the same functionality.

I suggest you consider this: You can add FM and Bluetooth (for phone/music/nav integration) to your stock radio. You can also add 3 more amplifier channels (for a total of 4), and boost power up to high-end receiver levels. If you want external amps, you can also add up to 5 pre-amp outs. You can do all of this, without changing the appearance of your stock radio, for about $500.

I do radio conversion/restoration and I can do all of the above for you. I don't want to use bandwidth for any more personal promotion, so PM me if you'd like more info.

But here's a question for other responders: Do you agree that the dumb-car/smart-phone (or tablet) approach is a viable alternative to big-ol' double-din units that 70C10guy is asking about?
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Bigdav160

Re: double din install!

I still don't have a cell phone. I've never had a reason to own one. So for me, a unit in the car makes sense.

But your point on technology advances I agree with.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote