The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
Redraider

wheels/tires

Hi all,

I am so far away from starting my '51 project it is a joke! But, I have had this question rolling around inside my noggin for so long, I thought I would just ask here to get some clarity. For those of you that have gone Flatout C-4 front and rear suspensions, how big of a wheel and tire can you run without extra mods, and what offset on wheels? And NO, I will not be slamming this truck any lower than absolutely necessary! I guess I am not cool enough for the younger set.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Redraider
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: wheels/tires

Well most guys on here know that I am no fan of big silly looking wheels on AD trucks but it is what it is when you have a suspension that requires it. Simply meaning that the my rims are larger in diameter and wider than your rims has gotten out of hand.

On the rear if you don't tub it you are stuck with 8 inch wheels and about a 10 inch tire if you want the tires to clear the bed and the fender.

If it were me I'd find a set of stockish C-4 wheel and tire rollers to build the truck with and figure out how much clearance I needed beyound that to go big.
There are two major reasons for going that way 1. That high dollar set of tires you bought won't age out sitting in the garage while you build the truck. 2. and far more expensive money wise, that hot lick this month set of rims won't be totally out of style the day you roll the truck out finished. If you get over in the 67/72 pages some of those guys have stacks of wheels and tires in their garages that they bought, then replaced with the newest hot lick look a few months later and then replaced again. The "well I had a set of 17 inch Coys then I went to 20's and now I have 22's" thing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #3
Redraider

Thank you for that info............not interested in the really big thing, just something with a little more than stock, and my favorite wheels are so old school they graduated many years ago. But I like them and that is what counts! I would not be totally anti mini tubs for the rear if they require no more than just the tubs, might get an inch or so more room.

Again, thank you

Redraider
Old 03-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
mr48chev

As far as the wheels go, the those are my favorite, that's what I am going to run and I am not changing my mined works.

I just see a lot of guys buying the hot lick at the moment latest thing rims and then a year or so later they are really dated by hot lick of the moment standards.

Tires you want to buy right when you are ready to put it on the road. I've got too many buddies who started on a hobby vehicle project that ran out and bought new wheels and tires the first week they had the rig that have ten or more year old tires that have never been on pavement that are aged out and in one case when he did drive the rig he blew a tire the first week he had the rig on the road. He went to the tire store trying to tell them the tire was defective and they brought up the receipt from over ten years before when he had bought the tires. Told him that they were way beyond being too old to be safe.

I'm beyond old school, 15 inch steel wheels white walls and a choice of going about 3 ways on hubcaps depending on the mood I am in.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
Johns327

Search through this site, there are a lot of threads on tire and wheel combinations like this.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=767859
Old 03-30-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
For those of you that have gone Flatout C-4 front and rear suspensions, how big of a wheel and tire can you run without extra mods
not sure what you mean. Extra mods is ALL your doing.
You can run high, but this suspension wants you to be low

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
Redraider

By extra mods, I mean fender extensions, wheel tubs, in other words body mods!

Redraider