The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
forestb

upper steering column bearing

Has anyone tried replacing the upper bearing in the steering column? I am thinking of something that is of better quality than the normal one that comes in the turn signal switch. Mine has a lot of up and down play. I have in the past replaced the plastic turn signal switch which includes a new bearing and that's the one that has play and I think my previous one had play also. I have seen the replacement one that classic industries sell so please don't send me that link.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:41 AM   #2
Nappers

Re: upper steering column bearing

If your talking about the one that goes in the column, I found a bushing with a flange that I filed down so the other parts goes over it (sorry been a while). It’s lasted 20+ years. Bushing at local hardware store with the fastener drawers then buy a ton you don’t need.....

Edit: the outer of the bushing fit perfectly in the column and the steering shaft was same as inner diameter. I wish I was home to show you. Dealing with my moms estate while battling with a drug addicted brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:36 AM   #3
val1gonzales

It's probably not so much the upper bearing as it's probably the lower bearing that is causing the slop. It's just above the shaft under the hood above the spring.
Attached Images

val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1gonzales View Post
It's probably not so much the upper bearing as it's probably the lower bearing that is causing the slop. It's just above the shaft under the hood above the spring.
It is definitely the upper bushing that is inside the turn signal switch. I replaced the lower bushing with a solid bronze bushing when I rebuilt the column. I can see the inner ring of the bushing bushing moving back and forth inside the outer ring when I take the steering wheel off. It is as though the ball baring are to small.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
If your talking about the one that goes in the column, I found a bushing with a flange that I filed down so the other parts goes over it (sorry been a while). It’s lasted 20+ years. Bushing at local hardware store with the fastener drawers then buy a ton you don’t need.....

Edit: the outer of the bushing fit perfectly in the column and the steering shaft was same as inner diameter. I wish I was home to show you. Dealing with my moms estate while battling with a drug addicted brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do hardware stores even sell bushings anymore.
I will have to go take a look and see if I can find something to replace it with.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/

Maybe?
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
They want $137 for a new upper bearing
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Are you sure its not the housing itself and not the bearing?
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Are you sure its not the housing itself and not the bearing?
yep
Old 02-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
Nappers

I can’t find a picture but with everything stripped off the column down to the housing where shaft comes out I put a bushing in there. I had to file down the edges of the flange so the assembly would fit back on. My play issues went away. The rickety bearing in the switch did nothing. And yes! You can find bushings at the mom and pop hardware stores with the little drawers of everything, you Mark the price on yourself in the bags. Ours is an Ace Hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #11
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
I can’t find a picture but with everything stripped off the column down to the housing where shaft comes out I put a bushing in there. I had to file down the edges of the flange so the assembly would fit back on. My play issues went away. The rickety bearing in the switch did nothing. And yes! You can find bushings at the mom and pop hardware stores with the little drawers of everything, you Mark the price on yourself in the bags. Ours is an Ace Hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a good idea. I will give it a try
Old 02-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
Nappers

Yeah sorry I don’t have a picture. 1/2 inch shaft? And no idea on the housing. Like I said I found one perfect for the housing and shaft size.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
The Rocknrod

Classic Parts (not industries as you stated) also sells a bearing - https://www.classicparts.com/1964-72...ctinfo/76-815/
lugnutz65 had a thread on it, part of the pics are here - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546015
and here - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722959
Another rebuild service is here - https://www.southeastchevyparts.com/...ICE_p_448.html

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 02-10-2021 at 07:40 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
forestb

So I dug back into my steering column and installed a 1/8” plastic spacer in between the steering wheel and the little plastic turn signal canceling cam. I was able to cut it out of plexiglass at work. Doing this allowed me to tighten up the column at the bottom of the shaft which tightened up the plastic cam against the bushing. When I had tried this in the past my after market wheel would jamb up against the part of the column that the turn signal switch comes out of. Doing this stopped the play and the squeak. I think that the problem was caused by the after market wheel not having the proper clearance. I also noticed that some of the bolt that hold the column to the under dash bracket were not tightened down all the way causing a different squeak. I am pleased with the results and probably will not end up getting an additional bearing. If any one is interested I measured what the ID and OD would need to be with a pair of calipers. The ID which is the same as the diameter of the column is .7465” and the OD is .9970”. It would not go inside the outside tube but rather inside an inner tube.

Last edited by forestb; 02-13-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
vince1

Is the spring at the bottom below the lower bearing under some compression? As far as I know it needs to be pulling the shaft down to seat the upper bearing.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
forestb

It is now. I was not able to tighten it up vary much before because it would cause my aftermarket wheel to bottom out in the cup that holds the turn signal switch. now that I have added the spacer I am able to tighten up the spring and get the plastic turn signal switch canceler to seat properly in the upper bearing.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #17
Nappers

ForestB,

In case you don't like the results, I took pictures of my set up as I was putting in a new turn signal switch. The bushing is 3/4 ID, 3/4 long and the flange carefully filed down to about 1 1/16. The steering is tight. I put a Grant steering wheel on it and it wobbled like crazy prior.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:27 AM   #18
forestb

Awesome thanks
Old 03-03-2021, 02:09 AM   #19
Nappers

Funny thing I was replacing rusty steering wheel screws and ended up squirreling and tearing it apart and painted the metal and working on replacing the switch!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #20
Wrenchbender Ret

The lower brg. is supposed to float on the shaft for the spring to take up the slack.
They are almost always frozen to the shaft due to the environment they are in.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #21
forestb

So I installed a brass bushing that I had to grind down a little on the outside and got it fitting perfectly. Put everything back together and connected the battery back up and that’s when the horn went on and stayed on. So I undid the only thing that changed and that was the bushing and the horn went off. I think that the brass bushing was grounding the horn circuit. No wonder why everything inside of the column is made of plastic. If I am wrong and this should not be happening I am open to any advice on how I could make it work with the bushing instead.