The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #26
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Take the old off or leave it on ,that's my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
A neighborhood in Colorado Springs that was subdivided back in the 1970s required shake roofs on all the houses.

In 2012 the Waldo Canyon Fire burned down most of that neighborhood ("mountain shadows" or something like that).

That same day a lightning strike from several days before about three miles from our house blew up and destroyed 70+ houses and uncounted sheds and vehicles.
I can believe that,,, the shakes I got for my house was sawed tapers (called Hollywood Shakes) or another name was heavies, and they would burn in a hurry and hot and cinders flying sky high ,, I had to be careful even burning the splinters from cutting them to fit ,,when I piled them out back of my house with the big firs and cedars ..
Old 04-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #27
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My cabin is in the Tahoe National Forest. It has a corrugated metal roof because wood shingles have been outlawed for years!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #28
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Take the old off or leave it on ,that's my question

I'm not a roofer but I would never shingle over another roof. If for the only fact is you need a new roof then you need to check the wood under the shingles for any water damage. I wouldn't sleep good not knowing if I missed something.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #29
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm not a roofer but I would never shingle over another roof. If for the only fact is you need a new roof then you need to check the wood under the shingles for any water damage. I wouldn't sleep good not knowing if I missed something.
I never thought of doing so at all back when I lived in Oregon where I got rain @ 178 days of the year and here in Idaho I get rain @ 72 days a year, ,and I have looked the roof over and the roof is in pretty good shape ,,no curls , no tabs missing ,, and I have lived here under this roof since Dec of 2012 and no leaks .,,
No tornados , no Hurricanes ,,not even any big hail storms ,,just small hail and not much wind storms over 30 mph .. so I was thinking that another layer would keep the cold out in the winter and heat out in the summer..

I knew there was some chance of a bad roof ,, I have 80% of my house vaulted ceilings . but.. I will go ahead and get the old off as I find a roofer and hire it done ,,the roofer will probably not warranty the job..
Old 04-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #30
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I knew there was some chance of a bad roof ,, I have 80% of my house vaulted ceilings . but.. I will go ahead and get the old off as I find a roofer and hire it done ,,the roofer will probably not warranty the job..
if your roofer won't warranty it- RUN! find someone else who will stand behind their work. a roof HAS to perform WITHOUT fail, every single day, year after year, otherwise you might as well move your lazy boy and flat screen into the yard.
unfortunately there is a lot of fly-by-nighters in the trade...some dude helped his cousin Billy "tar some shingles" and all of a sudden they think there a master roofer..puttin' shingles down on a strait, open go is not hard, it's when they hit the details, stacks, valleys, walls, etc that piss poor workmanship shows up. i would bet a good 80-90% of probs i deal with can be traced back to shoddy work, or they just didn't know how to do it.
i've seen it all, and i mean all-right up to a homeowner who put his shingles on upside down...
guys that won't warranty their work do it for a reason, ie lack of knowledge, a corner cutter or whatever...it gives guys who have dedicated their life to roofing a bad name.
a seasoned roofer can give you a good idea of the shape of your deck just by walking around it and doing a little poking around. if you can't see any rot from inside your attic, 99% of the time there will be nothing to worry about topside of your deck. rot doesn't just stay on the top, it goes right thru your wood...you'd be surprised at some of the materials i've seen nailed over top of rot by "professional" roofers...
a vaulted ceiling is even easier to check before ripping off or going over top.
this is a torch-on roof i did in '81, when torch-on first started hitting the market, 40 yrs and still going. if your roof is done right you will get good performance and life from it
Name:  IMG_1334.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  51.3 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #31
jjzepplin

in 2007 I gutted my first home and re did the electrical and plumbing and everything else including the roof. I pulled permits and everything was inspected. I have others do those things now but what a wealth of knowledge. Now when I get something done I look up the procedures in the codes sections online so I can tell if they are doing it right. I pulled 4 roofs off that house. It has rough sawn cedar rafters and 1x6 cedar for a base for the shingles. It was sagging before I removed the roofing. Not now. Not one of those boards had any rot and the home is a 1959.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #32
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
if your roofer won't warranty it- RUN! find someone else who will stand behind their work. a roof HAS to perform WITHOUT fail, every single day, year after year, otherwise you might as well move your lazy boy and flat screen into the yard.
unfortunately there is a lot of fly-by-nighters in the trade...some dude helped his cousin Billy "tar some shingles" and all of a sudden they think there a master roofer..puttin' shingles down on a strait, open go is not hard, it's when they hit the details, stacks, valleys, walls, etc that piss poor workmanship shows up. i would bet a good 80-90% of probs i deal with can be traced back to shoddy work, or they just didn't know how to do it.
i've seen it all, and i mean all-right up to a homeowner who put his shingles on upside down...
guys that won't warranty their work do it for a reason, ie lack of knowledge, a corner cutter or whatever...it gives guys who have dedicated their life to roofing a bad name.
a seasoned roofer can give you a good idea of the shape of your deck just by walking around it and doing a little poking around. if you can't see any rot from inside your attic, 99% of the time there will be nothing to worry about topside of your deck. rot doesn't just stay on the top, it goes right thru your wood...you'd be surprised at some of the materials i've seen nailed over top of rot by "professional" roofers...
a vaulted ceiling is even easier to check before ripping off or going over top.
this is a torch-on roof i did in '81, when torch-on first started hitting the market, 40 yrs and still going. if your roof is done right you will get good performance and life from it
Attachment 2093389
I am getting old and not finishing sentences ,,I meant to say that a roofer probably will not warranty and roof put over another roof.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #33
dieseldawg142

actually when you get your roof done, there is 2 warranty's. one from the shingle manufactor for material defects or shingle failures, and one from your roofer for workmanship.
almost all shingle brands warranty over top...but be aware, 9 1/2 times out of 10 they will claim improper installation if a prob arises, which sadly in my experiance, is true.
like i said, water has very narrow shoulders, it WILL find poor work.
here's an excerpt from GAF shingles;

"The GAFMC Smart Choice limited warranty provides coverage against inherent manufacturing defects in the shingles regardless of their application. Even if your roofing system was not properly installed in accordance with GAFMC's application instructions, the limited warranty will remain in effect against manufacturing defects.
However, the warranty does not cover any damages to the shingles or roofing system resulting from anything other than an inherent manufacturing defect.
It is a standard roofing practice to install shingles over the top of existing shingles. The limited warranty on the shingles affords the exact same coverage for a single or multi layer.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding the application of your roofing system, please contact our Technical services hotline at 1-800-766-3411.
Thank you for choosing GAFMC products, we appreciate your business."

but further into their warranty....

"GAF's studies indicate that more than two-thirds of the problems that people experience with their new roofs are due to the contractor's workmanship, not the roofing materials. This is an important distinction to keep in mind when deciding on warranty coverage."

like i say, unless your a ticketed roofer or are an authorized installer (meaning you took that shingle manufactor's courses on how they want them installed) they will quite often push claims into the workmanship catagory.
we give out between a 5 to 10 yr warranty on our workmanship depending on what the owner decides. if you have a workmanship prob, 99% of the time it will show up within a few yrs, still in your warranty timeframe. and in this business, your reputation is EVERYTHING. nobody ever remembers a good job, but everyone will remember a poor job...
Old 04-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #34
GOPAPA

Quote:
actually when you get your roof done, there is 2 warranty's. one from the shingle manufactor for material defects or shingle failures, and one from your roofer for workmanship.
almost all shingle brands warranty over top...but be aware, 9 1/2 times out of 10 they will claim improper installation if a prob arises, which sadly in my experiance, is true.
like i said, water has very narrow shoulders, it WILL find poor work.
here's an excerpt from GAF shingles;

"The GAFMC Smart Choice limited warranty provides coverage against inherent manufacturing defects in the shingles regardless of their application. Even if your roofing system was not properly installed in accordance with GAFMC's application instructions, the limited warranty will remain in effect against manufacturing defects.
However, the warranty does not cover any damages to the shingles or roofing system resulting from anything other than an inherent manufacturing defect.
It is a standard roofing practice to install shingles over the top of existing shingles. The limited warranty on the shingles affords the exact same coverage for a single or multi layer.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding the application of your roofing system, please contact our Technical services hotline at 1-800-766-3411.
Thank you for choosing GAFMC products, we appreciate your business."

but further into their warranty....

"GAF's studies indicate that more than two-thirds of the problems that people experience with their new roofs are due to the contractor's workmanship, not the roofing materials. This is an important distinction to keep in mind when deciding on warranty coverage."

like i say, unless your a ticketed roofer or are an authorized installer (meaning you took that shingle manufactor's courses on how they want them installed) they will quite often push claims into the workmanship catagory.
we give out between a 5 to 10 yr warranty on our workmanship depending on what the owner decides. if you have a workmanship prob, 99% of the time it will show up within a few yrs, still in your warranty timeframe. and in this business, your reputation is EVERYTHING. nobody ever remembers a good job, but everyone will remember a poor job...
Lots of info here ,,you do know your stuff,, my house here is a 2000 year house ,,will it have OSB for sheathing or 5/8 CDX Plywood ?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #35
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Lots of info here ,,you do know your stuff,, my house here is a 2000 year house ,,will it have OSB for sheathing or 5/8 CDX Plywood ?
Very hard to say. Around that time, most places i worked on, we used 5/8 osb with clips.
You could peek into the attic and tell from there.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #36
dieseldawg142

your right
if you use osb most standards call for a min 5/8's deck with clips, if using plywood 1/2" clipped is the norm, but some areas will also accept a 7/16" deck. as noted look inside your attic to see what you have, as both have been commonly used for for decks since the '80's.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #37
GOPAPA

Quote:
your right
if you use osb most standards call for a min 5/8's deck with clips, if using plywood 1/2" clipped is the norm, but some areas will also accept a 7/16" deck. as noted look inside your attic to see what you have, as both have been commonly used for for decks since the '80's.
I only have two rooms that are standard height ,,and they have crawl entrances by way of the garage,, I have vaulted ceilings else where ..I could take a look see of the garage roof underside though ,.,it should be the same as the the house beings it's connected ,,back when I did remodeling I always used 5/8 cdx sheathing for roofs .. never seen a sag between rafters ..

I seen plywood 4X8 X 3/4 going for $95 a sheet the other day..
Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #38
1976gmc20

I was just going to put new shingles on over the old. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #39
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

^^^^

Looks like something Bob Ross would paint. Look at all the happy little trees on the roof.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #40
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
^^^^

Looks like something Bob Ross would paint. Look at all the happy little trees on the roof.
I knew Bob Ross, and his brother Tom. Probably not the same guy
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #41
GOPAPA

My guess is that this roof ought to last another year or two at least ,,I found an electric wire going to the house and so I hung up some Christmas lights on the trees ,, and then maybe I'll fall the timber after a few years and go ahead like I wanted and just roof right over the roof that's on there. .what do think?

Name:  roof trees.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  81.7 KB
Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #42
1976gmc20

Pretty soon that roof will be declared a Wilderness Area

Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #43
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Pretty soon that roof will be declared a Wilderness Area
Especially when you start seeing Elk grazing on it.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote