The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Jacoby

68 C10 50th Anniversary driveway build

A little history. This truck had been sitting in a barn since 2009 on our family farm. It belonged to my great Uncle. He passed away several years ago so it just sat. My uncle who lives there now told me I could have it if I would just "come get the damn thing". So naturally I jumped on it.

I get it home and determine its a 50th anniversary truck which was cool. Its got some rust in the usual places, rockers and cab corners that will have to be fixed. Other than that its pretty solid on the outside. Interior is in good shape, a new seat or cover will definitely be needed. Through some research on here its determined the motor isn't original. Its a 307 out of a 70's model something or other maybe a Nova and its got a 2 speed powerglide. After replacing plugs, coil, wires, fuel filter, adding fresh fuel and couple other things Im able to get it running. Trans wont go into gear and the brakes don't work even after adding fresh fluid and bleeding them. So no chance of me driving it how it is. So from there it goes from a get it running project to a throw a ton of $$$ at it project and make it cool.

On with the build. After asking around on here if the 307 is worth keeping the consensus is no its not. Most think ditch it and put in a crate 350 or do an LS swap. I like nostalgia and the look and simplicity of a Gen1 small block so that's the route Im going with. No plans to source a used motor or block and build it. Im going to purchase a new crate motor online shipped to my door. Not sure which one Im going with yet. Seen a couple of Blueprints I like and some direct from GM. Im sure I could score a used LS/4L60 for less than a new crate motor is going to cost me but its just not what I want for this truck. Next is a trans. The 2 speed glide has got to go. Once again after asking around on here a nice member by the name of Jamyers offered me a working Turbo 400 for free if I wanted to make the drive to come get it. Long story short, Im heading there this Saturday to pick it up. So motor and trans is pretty much locked down.

Suspension is going to be a 4/6 drop with the usual pieces to accomplish that. Just about every bushing is shot so I'll be replacing all of those along with new upper and lower control arms. Brakes will be a front disc conversion with power booster and drums will remain in the rear. No big 20"+ wheels for this truck. I love rallyes/steelies so I went with 15x7f/15x10r Rallyes from Wheel Vintiques.

As far as exterior/interior goes I haven't decided what Im doing yet. As you can tell from the pics some jack wagon painted over what appears to be a perfectly good 50th gold colored paint job with some copper color blah. It wasn't my great Uncle that had it painted so I cant blame him lol. I love the original color but I don't think I can get it back to that without doing a full repaint. That's way far down the line.

I mentioned this is a driveway build, so everything will be done outside when the weather allows. I have a garage but I keep my CTSV and Harley in there and there is no way Im parking those outside for any length of time. Ive had the truck already for about 6 months but it was so hot and the mosquitos were so bad that Ive been forced to wait till it cools down to start working. Well that time is here and Ive been able to get started.

One last thing, Im doing this pretty much by myself. I have 2 young sons 6 & 8. The 6yr old wants to help which is great but the 8yr old not so much. My wife helps when she can. Other than that its pretty much just me. I'll be doing this build in sections working back to front. Im in no position to pull all the body pieces and put them somewhere so I have to do a section at a time. Anyways sorry for the rambling and feel free to comment on anything. Im gonna have a ton of questions as I go and so far I appreciate all the feedback Ive gotten from members on this site

Thanks
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Jacoby

Re: 68 C10 50th Anniversary driveway build

Pics of truck when I got it

Last edited by Jacoby; 10-24-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Jacoby

The tires developed 4 flats so I said screw it and went ahead and got the rallyes and new tires for it. That way I at least could roll it around.

Removed the tailgate and rear steel farm truck bumper that was on it.

Next was the bed. The bolts holding it in were so rusty they started spinning in the bed so I had to grind them down and punch them through to get the bed off. Ive seen video after video online of the bed removal being a two man job and them guys just lifting it off like it was nothing. I'll tell you what that bed is a heavy SOB. All I had was my wife to help me and she is in pretty good shape and we just barely got it off.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Travisarmenta

Hell yeah, great find. Here are some spare parts I found if your interested.

https://eastky.craigslist.org/pts/d/...709424541.html
Travisarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Jacoby

Here is a good pick of the original color next to the new. Ugh I still cant believe someone painted over the original color.

Power washed the rear section of frame and everything underneath it to get the 10yrs of dirt and dust off it. Then took a wire wheel to it to clean up as much rust as I could. Good pick of my 6yr old in there helping clean it up. I gave him a wire brush and said go to town. After that I went ahead and hit a little section of it with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator.

This coming weekend the plan is to go pick up my new to me trans on Saturday. Its a 6hr round trip so that will take a good portion of my day. Then Sunday get after it. Remove rear end and get it cleaned and painted. Install rear drop components and get the rest of that back section cleaned and painted. If there is any time left do the rebuild on the rear drums.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
68Gold/white

It's your vehicle, do what you wish to, we still live in a free country!

There's a build here, from an older gentleman from St. Croix River area in Wisconsin. I will make a post on that build, here asap.

Title of thread is ,Old Roy

He's just done what's essentially a stock rebuild/repairs on his entire pickup. Might be a direction that would be easier on the wallet for you to start with. Hw bought a crate engine from GM, it was a 350, but was not the 290 HP one. Engine he bought was a stock type engine, but would be cheaper, and perform quite well.

I'm not into the lowering deal. I plan to experiment with used coil springs on mine to make it maybe a little lower.

I started a thread here asking about folks interested in 68 Golden Anniv. pickups, not sure if you made a post on it, I will bring it to the top also....

Is the glove box decal still intact??? I'm curious what options you have...

Looking forward to pictures...

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 10-24-2018 at 03:54 PM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

When I first opened this thread and started reading it I was thinking, man, if this was only a short bed tr.....IT IS A SHORT BED TRUCK!!! Awesome start to a great family project.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
When I first opened this thread and started reading it I was thinking, man, if this was only a short bed tr.....IT IS A SHORT BED TRUCK!!! Awesome start to a great family project.
can't tell, I don't have any pictures on my end...
Old 10-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Jacoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
It's your vehicle, do what you wish to, we still live in a free country!

There's a build here, from an older gentleman from St. Croix River area in Wisconsin. I will make a post on that build, here asap.

Title of thread is ,Old Roy

He's just done what's essentially a stock rebuild/repairs on his entire pickup. Might be a direction that would be easier on the wallet for you to start with. Hw bought a crate engine from GM, it was a 350, but was not the 290 HP one. Engine he bought was a stock type engine, but would be cheaper, and perform quite well.

I'm not into the lowering deal. I plan to experiment with used coil springs on mine to make it maybe a little lower.

I started a thread here asking about folks interested in 68 Golden Anniv. pickups, not sure if you made a post on it, I will bring it to the top also....

Is the glove box decal still intact??? I'm curious what options you have...

Looking forward to pictures...
Glove box decal still intact

I got a budget but money isn't really an issue. I think when it comes to fixing these things up most people get in to trouble money wise trying to put a nice paint job on. I want to spend money on a good foundation, powertrain/drivetrain and suspension. After that my plan is to reuse what I can and fix what I can before replacing.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
68Gold/white

You are going about it, just like I will ( and have in the past) on my projects. No sense in having a nice looking vehicle that is a pile of garbage, mechanically...

I see that you did make a post on my Anniversary inquiry thread, thanks. I bought my 68 in 1980 most of the old pictures are from 35mm camera prints. I will see if I can get my woman friend to help me scan some, to install in a build thread. oh...LOL my build really hasn't started yet. AND I plan to get my 67 C10 running first, AND I have a 77 Trans Am I bought new that needs attention...No I have NO other projects!!!

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 10-24-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
zicc1835

Subbed I like were this is going I’ll take the ride
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
72 tigger

Looks like a nice project and plan!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Jacoby

This weekends progress. Not as productive as I had hoped. I drove from Dallas to Abilene Saturday to pick up that Turbo 400 from a member on here. That took up most of my Saturday. Sunday the wife decided to have a last minute garage sale at her mothers and left me home with the 3 little ones. I cant get anything done with those 3 running around. So that occupied most of my Sunday.
I'm still tearing down the ass end on this thing and its kicking my ass lol! The nuts and bolts on this thing are so rusty Im having to cut just about everyone I come across. It was so bad that as I was loosening things they weren't loosening but instead tightening. The rust was being pulled down into the nut. I cleaned everything I could and soaked everything in WD40 and even used a torch and the things just wouldn't budge. So with that said I cut springs, the U-bolts for the control arms, shock mount bolts, etc. Finally got the rear end out. Probably gonna tackle the front bolts for the control arms tomorrow so I can get them out and get em cleaned up and painted. Started sand blasting some pieces I was able to salvage to get ready for powder coating. Im able to powder coat small pieces at home with my little DIY setup.
That's all I got for now...…

Ubolt I had to cut out

Not sure how im gonna get this out. I guess grind down the head side and it should fall out

Rear out and back end cleaned up some

Ubolt/shock mount I was able to salvage. Cleaned up and ready to powder
Old 10-30-2018, 05:36 AM   #14
FRCvette

Man I love these 50th trucks. That is so great that your Uncle gave it to you. A short bed even. Lucky Man!!! I will be watching your build. Doing good so far.I will be looking for a 50th as soon as I sell my 37 Ford coupe.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
slowcpe

This is a killer truck. Looking forward to the progress.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
cornerstone

What a nice clean unmolested truck to start with. Really looking forward to seeing your progress. You and I have something in common... a cool uncle who has checked out and left us their truck!
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
Jacoby

Got some more done this weekend with the help of my brother. That guy loves turning wrenches. Tell him what the plan is, show him where the tools are and off he goes. The plan this weekend was to get the front end off. Jeez what a beating that was. Like the back end the front was more of the same..... RUST!!! Id say for every nut and bolt we were able to unscrew there were 2 that had to be grinded/cut off. Hell just one of the bolts holding the core support to the frame took us almost an hour to get out. After about 7 hours though the job was done.
Once we had a chance to look everything over that we removed we determined the inner fenders are toast. I was hoping to be able to salvage them but the front and rear mounting points completely disintegrated once we got them out from the rust eating it all away. Core support is in great shape, coat of paint and that thing will look new. Front clip and hood are all in great shape.
Next the plan is to remove the motor/trans and possibly the cab. Waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend if I can borrow their cherry picker. I don't want to go out and buy one if I don't have to.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
zicc1835

that front clip looks graet ....no rust in the fender cups thats great and a core support with no battery acid damage or rot... Ill take that all day long just having to toss the inner fenders home run........
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #19
Jacoby

Got some more work done this morning. The holiday set me back a little bit. Pulled the motor and trans. I thought it would be easier with the clip off but it was still a pain in the ass. The 307 doesn’t get much love but when I asked if someone wanted a running 307/powerglide for free I got about 20 pm’s in 5 minutes lol. Next week we’re planning on removing the cab then it’ll be time to clean and paint the frame and get all the new suspension pieces put on.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
Andyking1203

Nice start!!! I like the idea of keeping a sbc in the truck vs a ls.. hope the rusty demon doesn't surprise you anymore then it has...
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #21
RCbowtie69

looking good,keep the pictures coming & keep on Truckin''
Old 03-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #22
68Gold/white

Hope you are well, no posts since 2018.....I always am interested in a Golden build!!!
Old 04-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
CC69Rat

Love the 50th trucks. Have you done anymore to it?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote