The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
62 Barnfind

57 door seals

I ordered a set of soft seals for my 57 in June from JEGS. The item is still on back order and won’t get it until February. What other door seals out there that work good? I bought a set of push on seal from Brother truck for my 62 that is great. Any advice on some good seal would be great!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
slammed57

Re: 57 door seals

the only ones I can think of is STEELE , not sure how they are for I haven't tried them but heard they are pretty good. Now the cheap ones flat out SUCK, I couldnt even get the door to close . I had to you a ratchet strap to close the door completely let them sit for 2 weeks and still wouldn't shut
Old 12-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
62 Barnfind

That’s what I don’t want. My first set in my 62 I had to slam the door shut and if I didn’t have the windo in the right spot it threw it off the track.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
dsraven

here is a link to a write up on the rod authority site that talks about steele rubber products. it has a few pointers and shows a few profiles. hope it helps. I helps a buddy with a 54 few years back. he installed rubber from lmc after we had the doors adjusted to fit correctly. the rubber was so hard the doors wouldn't close. we installed soffseal and they closed correctly right away. I have used the silly putty technique before to establish the gap sizes needed. it works pretty good. some tape on the door and jamb help to alleviate concerns over what silly putty might do to the paint, grease marks etc. it is important to adjust the door prior to installing any rubber. adjust with no latch, get the door to fit the opening and surrounding sheet metal heights, gaps etc. then install the latch and adjust correspondingly so the latch is simply latching and leaving the door at the correct height with relation to surrounding areas, not pulling the door in any direction to get the fit like it should be. then install the weather seal.

https://www.rodauthority.com/news/st...-matters-most/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
I ordered a set of soft seals for my 57 in June from JEGS. The item is still on back order and won’t get it until February. What other door seals out there that work good? I bought a set of push on seal from Brother truck for my 62 that is great. Any advice on some good seal would be great!
I tried (2) other brands, STEELE is one of them, the other brand I can't remember the name. I know with STEELE I wasn't able to close the doors as with the unnamed brand. Of course you want to ensure the gaps are correct. Soffseal is the only set that allowed me to close the door immediately. Summit Racing has these in stock. Call them up 800/230-3030.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote