The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Overdriven

Attention you get on the road

With warmer weather basically here, my 1967 Camaro and c10 will be hitting the road for another season but I can’t help but think about the attention I got last season. My c10 gets some attention on the road but not much. Others in a classic vehicle will wave, I might get one compliment a year at a gas station. People notice the c10 but it seems rare that anyone let’s me know they noticed it.

My Camaro is a different story. It seems like I can’t take this car anywhere without at least one person saying something. I’ve had random people come up and say stuff like “what are you doing in my car”, “just took your car around the block it rides nice”, circling me in a parking lot cell phone in hand, yelling at me “nice car” while passing the opposite direction (startling to say the least), etc. My favorites were a guy yelling “nice car” across a parking lot, I waved to him instead of yelling back, he then proceeded to continually yell “whatcha got in it” 5 times until I pulled away. The other was a guy in a bigger truck on a 3 lane highway, me in middle lane, he started on my passenger side pacing me, all I could see was the bottom of his door. If I increased or decreased speed he stayed right there until traffic slowed in that lane at which point he swerved just behind me and into the left most lane. Then started coming up along side of me again with the stupidest grin on his face and started to roll down his window, undoubtedly to say something equally stupid at 75mph. I wish I can say I was eloquent but after all the incidents I’ve had with people while driving this car I had enough and gave him a 1 finger salute.

It doesn’t help I’m kind of a private person unless I know you, I don’t even take my stuff to car shows. I know it’s a car you don’t see on the road everyday and it causes some sort of emotion they need to express. But don’t people realize I own them for me not them? And the stupidity of some ways people express these emotions has gotten really old at this point. I can’t be the only one, anyone else have stories of receiving attention in bad ways while out there on the road?
Old 03-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Attention you get on the road

Fuhgeddaboudit

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
Just call me Sean

I was near the college in my '72 Lemans and a car load of young adults were blowing the horn and waving to get my attention so they could give me a thumbs up. Then they rear ended the car in front of them.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
72c20customcamper

Never had a bad experience with any of my vehicles with people . The Chevelle gets the most but most of my cars are unusual . You do get the know it all who tell ya Studebaker used Ford engines . No harm no foul .

The trucks I always get my dad had one or with the square they had one in high school. Again no crazies are obnoxious people
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
1976gmc20

Mostly when I drive my old blue 89 K1500 to town other folks are quick to yield right of way.

I guess they figure anybody driving something looks that bad wouldn't mind hitting someone

OTOH, our red HHR that we used to have must have been darn near invisible Or else they figured they could just run over us and not be bothered.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Mostly when I drive my old blue 89 K1500 to town other folks are quick to yield right of way.

I guess they figure anybody driving something looks that bad wouldn't mind hitting someone
My 1967 c10 has its original paint, it is “weathered” and I get the same reaction at times. The funniest was the lady and small child who just exited their Mercedes SUV. I was literally idling in 1st gear through this parking lot, clearly giving extra room coming up to them and she was still clutching the child and eyeing me so intently I thought she’d start running and screaming any second! Once I passed she ignored the other cars behind me and started walking towards the store like a normal person. Still gives me a chuckle every time I think about it!
Old 03-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #7
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
I can’t be the only one, anyone else have stories of receiving attention in bad ways while out there on the road?
I never had any bad issues with people admiring what I have driven. I like talking to fellow gearheads. I will always be polite and say thanks.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
1slo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
I never had any bad issues with people admiring what I have driven. I like talking to fellow gearheads. I will always be polite and say thanks.
Same here
Old 03-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Ironhorse

When driving my 71 4x4 I generally get a lot of looks and if at the gas station usually am asked if it's for sale which it is not. Since I moved the in cab tank to behind the rear axle I get a LOT of looks when it seems like I am pumping gas into the bed but that's where I put the fuel fill in the LH wheel tub, LOL.

Get the same thing when driving my restored 71 Chevelle. It's not for sale either but am always asked abut it also. 'Spec I will probably get the same thing when I get to start driving my 57 2 door sedan.

I always enjoy taking to people who express a true interest in my old iron and for the real dip wads I usually quickly and politely brush them off and go about my business.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #10
truckster

My Blazer gets tons of attention, everything from people taking pictures as I'm driving down the road to kids pointing and staring and, of course, the never-ending, "Hey, you want to sell that?"

The only ones that I've had to learn not to be annoyed by are the ones who say, "Hey, nice Bronco!"
Old 03-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #11
1976gmc20

Quote:
My 1967 c10 has its original paint, it is “weathered” and I get the same reaction at times. The funniest was the lady and small child who just exited their Mercedes SUV. I was literally idling in 1st gear through this parking lot, clearly giving extra room coming up to them and she was still clutching the child and eyeing me so intently I thought she’d start running and screaming any second! Once I passed she ignored the other cars behind me and started walking towards the store like a normal person. Still gives me a chuckle every time I think about it!
She's probably watched too much Disney!
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #12
toms68cst

I'm an old, grey-haired, fat, bald, fuddy-duddy. Just the other day, some attractive, young (Compared to me anyway) woman came up alongside me, honked her horn, gave me a huge thumbs-up and a wave. I'm not sure if she liked me or my truck!

It seems like over the last couple few years you see fewer of our trucks out daily driving and when they are spotted, people pay more attention. I've never had anything negative or annoying.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:03 AM   #13
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I actually get the most attention in my hearse. I'm kind of known in town as the guy with a hearse. AKA the weird guy. It doesn't bug me.

My wife gets a kick out of it when she takes the yellow Corvette out and little kids point at it and say 'Bumblebee' Bumblebee was a Camaro.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:46 AM   #14
LT7A

First off, I'll say kudos to you for owning and driving what you like because you like it, not because it gets other people's attention. Most people, for one reason or another, are stuck with driving normal cars for most or all of their life. Getting a chance to get excited about a car they wish they could have is something I think that we can provide for them. There are limits of course, but please reconsider being rude to them, even if they're not being smart in how they're handling the encounter. A wave and a judicious application of the brakes will probably send the person on their way. Or a wave and a generous application of the throttle will probably give them an extra thrill and also move you out of range.

Last edited by LT7A; 03-28-2021 at 10:11 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

When people come up to bug me about my truck while pumping gas I just squirt a little gas in their direction and say, "You might want to start walking away". Often they just stand there looking shocked and dazed, so I holler real loud, "RUN!!". Works every time

For people who bug me while driving I keep a small box of roofing nails on the seat. Usually just showing it to them gets them pulling far ahead. But there are those slow learners I have had to go ahead and toss the box out for. I feel kinda bad for all the other drivers running over the nails, but I figure many may have also liked my truck.

(I might be kidding some)

Seriously, I get a lot of attention in my '72. Lots of quick comments mostly. Things like, "What's that leaking under your truck?", or, "Want me to follow you to make sure you make it home?", or, "I had one of those. Best thing I did was sell it".

Ok... Ok. In all TRUE honesty, My '72 draws a lot of comments and they vary widely. I've always driven 67-72 K/20s and even when they were nearly new I have been getting friendly comments. The dominant one in the '70s and '80s was, "I had one like that. Loved it. Shoulda kept it". Since I always worked out of one, my favorite was someone saying, "I see that truck all over the place" or "Still earning it's keep". I've never had anyone pull a dangerous move to make a comment. I'm sure I'd be mighty hot if that ever happened.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
Redneck Rydes

Most the time a wave,but sometimes the bird
Attached Images

Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #17
Black_Sheep

I’ve had a few close calls with dip****s trying to get a better look at my ‘69 GTX when I was driving it. Tailgaters are a bigger threat, they really piss me off.

Generally it’s fun to see people’s reactions when I drive the GTX or ‘58 Apache. Lots of smiles and thumbs up on the road and I can’t run to the parts store or stop to fuel up without somebody wandering over to check it out. It doesn’t bother me, after a while you get used to it...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #18
dieseldawg142

happens all the time.
owned a couple of old camaro's, chevelle's, a challenger ('71) but never got as much attention as driving my '85 K30 crew...ya, an '85. not what i would classify as old or desirable.
people come up to me at the gas station, McDicks, wally mart, pretty much everywhere. most common is "sweet truck", then "do you want to sell it"
usually i just give a quick wave. have had a few incidents where overzealous individuals have drifted into my lane on the freeway taking pics or yelling out nice truck, which ticks me off.
but i also live where nice, older vehicles aren't prolific either.
i think the main reason i get comments is prob cause deep down i think everyone would like to drive a lifted truck that can go pretty much anywhere, or drive over anything
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #19
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I get a lot of comments and attention in my Camaro. Lots of people asking what the Hp is and if it’s got any body mods, (it’s got several GM accessories on it, Ground effects, heritage grill, blade spoiler etc.) most often though people ask if it’s been custom painted, aqua blue metallic is a 3800ish unit only color in 2010. Lots of thumbs up and picture takers. My 72 gets attention too. People ask if it’s for sale more than the Camaro for sure. I love when people stop at traffic lights, or even in slow moving traffic and yell thru the window asking if it’s for sale. Always makes me laugh then I say no, thanks anyway. I actually had a guy here earlier buying parts of a truck im parting who ended up trying to buy my 3100. Not for sale I said 5 times at least. I don’t mind the attention, I’m fortunate enough to drive some pretty cool stuff by my standards, so if it can brighten someone else’s day while bringing me a ton of joy in the process... well that’s a good deal for everyone. In the Camaro if they start getting a little over zealous on the highway, I just punch it and get gone. The other muscle cars and diesel trucks that try to race me on the streets are a whole other level of irritating. Most of them end in a middle finger, but every once in a while I’ll bite, just to remind the trucks mainly, that just because they can roll coal and make noise don’t always mean they are fast. (Never been beat by one yet)
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #20
Killer Bee

... in b4 the lock

Last edited by Killer Bee; 04-02-2021 at 05:18 PM. Reason: and out b4 the lock...
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:58 PM   #21
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, I really don't like finding notes on my truck. That's well within the bubble of potentially breaking something inadvertently and then sneaking away. I wouldn't even think of putting something on someone's vehicle. A friendly wave going down the road is fine.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #22
truckster

My favorite story about my Blazer: My wife and I went to a local eatery that has a patio. There was an open spot right in front of the patio, so I pulled in there. A young family was sitting at the table right in front of our parking spot, and as I shut off the truck a boy about 4 years old looked up at the Blazer and said, "I want to ride in that!" I turned to my wife and told her that's how I feel every time I get in it.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #23
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If you know me, and we get rolling, it's hard to get me to shut up. If I don't know you, I'm not really talkative, especially when I'm getting gas, so I greatly appreciate the waves and an occasional nice car/nice truck, but i'm not super fond of the gas station talk. Especially when someone makes an offer... I've had this thing 25 years... not happening. I now have my 7 month old little man as an excuse. Sorry, gotta roll, gotta get the heat back on for little man

I'm A LOT more likely to talk to people at car shows, that's what they're for. I get waves and thumbs up a lot, again, greatly appreciative and I enjoy giving them back, it's when I'm out cruising or getting gas before a trip to Lowes... I kinda don't wanna be bothered because I'm usually on a schedule. Car shows, I'm there to BS and look at cars.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #24
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Most people, for one reason or another, are stuck with driving normal cars for most or all of their life. Getting a chance to get excited about a car they wish they could have is something I think that we can provide for them.
Picture a random person appearing as you’re walking up to your home. For one reason or another they won’t ever have a home as nice as yours. They get excited at the architecture and the furnishings they spied as you’re trying to get in your front door. This is their chance to get excited about a home they wish they had, and I think you can provide that for them.

And yes it is the same thing as a vehicle. This is a persons dream. Their dream transcends your personal space, social norms on politeness, norms for time and place, traffic laws, etc. I know you didn’t sign up to provide something to someone else, you just worked hard and bought what you wanted. But you are now expected to provide access to it and yourself whenever someone feels like it. No “open house” sign required.

Last edited by Overdriven; 03-29-2021 at 03:26 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:05 AM   #25
LT7A

Quote:
Picture a random person appearing as you’re walking up to your home. For one reason or another they won’t ever have a home as nice as yours. They get excited at the architecture and the furnishings they spied as you’re trying to get in your front door. This is their chance to get excited about a home they wish they had, and I think you can provide that for them.

And yes it is the same thing as a vehicle. This is a persons dream. Their dream transcends your personal space, social norms on politeness, norms for time and place, traffic laws, etc. I know you didn’t sign up to provide something to someone else, you just worked hard and bought what you wanted. But you are now expected to provide access to it and yourself whenever someone feels like it. No “open house” sign required.
I think I understand what you're getting at, but... I was out for a walk earlier this week and stopped and talked to someone about their home. Was almost a 30-minute conversation and at the end we introduced ourselves by name. The next day on my walk I stopped and talked to a guy about his truck parked in his driveway. After about 10 minutes, he told me his name and he apologized and said he had to get somewhere but that I was welcome to drop by anytime he was out and about. It also works the other way too. I've had several people stop and talk to me about my trucks while I'm out in the yard. Not sure why you seem to be averse to human contact about shared interests, but it's one of my favorite things about the hobby, and frankly about being alive. I'm honestly sorry you don't enjoy it.

Last edited by LT7A; 03-29-2021 at 07:54 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote