The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Upside down, inside out, topsy turvy world we live in

Today I was talking with one of the fellas at work. He's been having some back issues. He was at his doctors discussing things they could do to help alleviate the pain.

My buddy told his doctor ... I know one thing I really need to do is work on my core strength, and lose a bunch of weight.

The Dr said ... Well we really aren't allowed to say anything about someone needing to lose weight, or exercise for that matter. But since you did bring it up I will agree with what you said.

What world is this that a Dr cant prescribe weight loss and exercise as a probable help for better health?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Upside down, inside out, topsy turvy world we live in

The same one where it's wrong to tell your son he's a boy and daughter she's a girl until they decide what they want to be? I don't get it either....
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

What world is this that a Dr cant prescribe weight loss and exercise as a probable help for better health?[/QUOTE]

You are so right ,, it's getting so bad with law suits that one had to appoligise to a person if he shoots you ..

Not all doctors are the same ,, I once had a doctor that was treating me for a bad back sprain ,,,and I was leaving for a vacation some 900 miles away from him.... he said to me "instead of what I been given you,, and you are going to be riding long distances sitting in a car seat,, "Tell ya what" I am going to give you some good shi$ ..
Old 04-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

It sure is upside down. How can they come up with terms like morbidly obese? So morbidity is not a matter for a doctor to address? Oh wait, I see. Once it becomes life threatening it's time for the doctor to get involved

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
leddzepp

People don’t want to hear the truth. They want a magic pill that will fix everything. Every time a patient tells me they can’t figure out why their knee(s) hurt I want to tell them to look in the mirror. A co-worker of mine did that once and almost lost his job. Type 2 diabetes is far more a pandemic than covid and is preventable. After watching my step dad rot away from it for years, losing a toe, then a foot, then his lower leg, and finally his life I’m making sure it doesn’t happen to myself or my kids.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I got tired of waiting on the doctor to tell me I needed to lose weight (I rarely go to the doctor) I got up to a high of 264lbs at the end of last year and could no longer take not being able to do work or anything really for 5-10 minutes without having to sit down and rest. From the middle of january until now I have shed 63lbs and feel loads better but I have set a goal to lose another 21lbs before summer. Best part is I was on bp meds and with the weight loss I am now back down in low normal range without them. I might even start working on the panel again. Now if I could figure out my hearing............
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

I wouldn't go back to that dr. I've never had a dr that didnt recomend diet and exercise as a first step .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #8
67C10Step

For the most part we are the lesser product of those that came before us. The general population is soft, both in body and in mind. They don't know what hard physical work even looks like and you can't tell them anything that might hurt their feelings.

No offense to doctors or pharmacists on here but for some reason the general public has gotten the impression you are supposed to jump out of bed, pain free, feeling like a million bucks every morning. If you have a little pain or feel a little down, go see a doctor and get a pill. We are an overmedicated society for the most part. I know my day will come but I will be 52 this year, stand 5'8" tall and weigh about 180. I still go to the gym 3-5 days a week (best habit I started in college) and take zero medication daily other than allergy meds. My grandfather told me a long time ago two things you never get back are time and your health.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
Rich84

I just went for a physical last week. I was mentally prepared for the "cough' and the "finger". I got neither. Now, I'm not complaining but when did that change?
4 years ago when I had my back surgery I noticed that on my chart it said that I was obese. No one ever said a word to me. I have since lost about 25lbs and I feel great. I even started exercising.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My doctor has no problem telling me what to do. She told me that I need to gain weight. I'm too thin for my size. I've always been thin. But I can't seem to gain weight and my weight does drop to unhealthy levels. I've dropped to 120 lbs. and I'm 6 feet tall.

It's odd because my brothers are all heavy. My dad was a fat guy and he was always on a diet to try and lose weight. I struggle to gain it. I wince when I check the scale and it just keeps going down. I eat, but I can only eat so much. It's just my metabolism. I'm at 140 lbs now which is still 25 lbs.underweight for my size. My buddy's would tease me and call me string bean. I laugh when I see weight loss commercials. Lose weight? Yeah right. That's the last thing I need.

I did ask my doctor if I should cut down on my drinking and she said with a face like mine I should keep drinking.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Hah! I have 25 pounds I'd readily give you, Paul! Don't know if you need a Dunlop, though...

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I use to be that way Paul, then I moved to the south and southern cooking. I am not bad, but I was not happy when I hit 200 last year (I'm 6-1). I guess it is time to watch not only what I eat but how much.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I did ask my doctor if I should cut down on my drinking and she said with a face like mine I should keep drinking.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #14
Nick_R_23

Well, when you choose an assistant Secretary of Health who is in charge of making health decisions for the entire nation, that is obese and had clear mental disorders such as dresses like a women every day, it puts “feelings” policies in place over functional policies at the doctors’ offices.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #15
best view

The country that takes us over will straighten that stuff out ,u will know what sex u are, and be thin from working for long hours and little pay
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #16
Loco83

My Doctor will tell you straight out the real deal no BS.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #17
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I wouldn't go back to that dr. I've never had a dr that didnt recomend diet and exercise as a first step .
That's probably seen as offensive now a days.

Back when I had my heart attack ('15), the Cardiologist kind of casually said "You know you need to lose some weight. It will help you in several ways."
So I did. The next time I saw him was about 6 months later. I had dropped 70 lbs. He freaked out, changed all of my prescriptions, and said "You know on the TV commercials when they say consult your Dr before starting any weight loss program? Well this is why"
He eliminated one totally and cut the strength of the others in half. Then he said, "Your heartrate is a little too low also, but nothing I am giving you would cause that"
When I told him about the thousands of miles of bicycling I had done since I had been in last, he said "Oh, yeah. Fitness can do that."
Then he told me that he tells everyone that they need to lose weight, and almost none of them do it. Which is why he mentions it so casually, pressuring people doesn't do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:35 PM   #18
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That's probably seen as offensive now a days.
Everything seems to be offensive to someone these days. It seems like some people are just waiting to get offended.

I get it when I do stand up. Some idiot always gets offended and goes off the rails and heckles me. Sorry pal. The rest of the room was laughing. I'm sorry that you weren't. Go home and take your medication. I ignore them. But I've had some nasty ones. Now I carry brass knuckles when I perform just in case. Sometimes it's a long walk to my car in a dark dive bar parking lot at midnight.I don't know if one of these Cretins are waiting for me.They have no security at these places. And all I did was tell stupid jokes.

Maybe I just need better material.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:18 AM   #19
LT7A

Quote:
Everything seems to be offensive to someone these days. It seems like some people are just waiting to get offended.

I get it when I do stand up. Some idiot always gets offended and goes off the rails and heckles me. Sorry pal. The rest of the room was laughing. I'm sorry that you weren't. Go home and take your medication. I ignore them. But I've had some nasty ones. Now I carry brass knuckles when I perform just in case. Sometimes it's a long walk to my car in a dark dive bar parking lot at midnight.I don't know if one of these Cretins are waiting for me.They have no security at these places. And all I did was tell stupid jokes.

Maybe I just need better material.
I think brass is a fine material.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:29 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

They are brass for a reason.

Why not try a new brand of humor where you aim all your jokes at yourself but you are really talking about others? No wait, that would be catering to the oversensitivity.

The problem today is people expect others to compensate for their underdeveloped coping skills. Three simple words are the answer, "Deal with it"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-15-2021 at 08:53 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #21
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My jokes are mainly aimed at myself. But I throw in wife jokes too. But what these people do not realize is that my wife wrote some of those jokes. She collaborated with me on the material. And she's pretty funny. But she won't go on stage. My daughter is the same. She is very quick witted. She would be great. But she's terrified of going on stage.

So. It's just me up there. I can make a fool out of myself. That's no problem. But I know it is intimidating. It's not for everybody.

Most people that give me problems are drunks shooting their mouths off. The only reason I carry the brass knuck's is that I'm older skinny guy and some of those drunks can be hostile. I need a security blanket. Fortunately I've never had to use them. But I've come close.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #22
72c20customcamper

I've had the same dr for 28 years . We are actually friends as he goes to car shows since he bought his Mustang about 10 years ago. But I have seen a change in the office as his practice was part of a small group. Now its owned by a Caremount medical and it sucks. But he is a good dr and is honest with me. I only take one med for BP I ride bycicles and am very active but the BP has been boarder line for years .

When my cholesterol was elevated he told me to cut out the sugar and fatty meats . I did now it's in the acceptable range . Any other dr would have written a script for a statin .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #23
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
My jokes are mainly aimed at myself. But I throw in wife jokes too. But what these people do not realize is that my wife wrote some of those jokes. She collaborated with me on the material. And she's pretty funny. But she won't go on stage. My daughter is the same. She is very quick witted. She would be great. But she's terrified of going on stage.

So. It's just me up there. I can make a fool out of myself. That's no problem. But I know it is intimidating. It's not for everybody.

Most people that give me problems are drunks shooting their mouths off. The only reason I carry the brass knuck's is that I'm older skinny guy and some of those drunks can be hostile. I need a security blanket. Fortunately I've never had to use them. But I've come close.
Are those legal there? I would have assumed not.
They certainly aren't here, but you can carry a gun, the one time where plastic beats metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #24
kingsolver72
10/30/19

“Truth is whatever your contemporaries let you get away with”

Last edited by kingsolver72; 04-15-2021 at 10:43 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #25
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I got tired of waiting on the doctor to tell me I needed to lose weight (I rarely go to the doctor) I got up to a high of 264lbs at the end of last year and could no longer take not being able to do work or anything really for 5-10 minutes without having to sit down and rest. From the middle of january until now I have shed 63lbs and feel loads better but I have set a goal to lose another 21lbs before summer. Best part is I was on bp meds and with the weight loss I am now back down in low normal range without them. I might even start working on the panel again. Now if I could figure out my hearing............
Good to hear an Update

Been thinking of you My Friend

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote