The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Wizo

A real head scratcher about vin tag numbers.

Howdy all;A long time good friend of mine purchased this Saturday a 67 SWB with a big back window (bonus).I haven't seen it yet but from what he says sounds like he got a good deal.I have two real head scratchin questions about vin tags that i can't find anything on. The first 6 digits of his vin# are as such
C S 1 3 7 Z We can't find and have no clue what the #3 pertains to. everything I have looked up shows that,this number should be a 4, 5, or 6.
All the numbers on his frame, vin tag, title and SPID show a number three. Anybody have any clue or ideas why it is a number three or what it pertains to?
Next question; My truck is a 68 short step side that i got from my father in the early eighties.My father said it use to belong to the Oregon forestry service when he bought at an auction. underneath the line that is the normal vin # is another line of letters and numbers that are listed as such……B ID DDC 68 100
I haven't the foggiest idea what these mean. anybody out there have any ideas? I would really appreciate any help.thanks.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Unionwelder

Re: A real head scratcher about vin tag numbers.

3 means 1 ton. Not a clue on the extra digits though, maybe a state ID tag for the forestry service ?
Right." -Henry Ford
1972 chevy lwb
1934 ford p/u
Unionwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Could your friends '67 be a Canadian truck? I don't know how theirs are marked but it was just a thought...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Wizo

I"ll ask him tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
bruceman1968

Don't know about the numbers under your vin number. Are they raised or stamped in. Any chance of a pic?
The 3 is for Cab and Chassis.

Name:  G67-72chevyvin.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  70.9 KB
Old 01-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Wizo

My extra numbers are raised just like the vin numbers. as for what you said about the #3,things are starting to make sense.He said when he looked at how his bed was mounted he said it didn't look normal. He said he thinks also that he thought it might've been a flatbed at one time or another also. thank you for the help. if you find out anything else about my extra numbers please let me know.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
SS Tim

Yep, Its a chassis-cab truck and the second line is the contract information, you sometimes see it on fleet trucks. Be interesting to see the SPID if its still there.
Here is an example of such a stamped plate. Note all plates will have the "DD" characters. The contract info was placed around it. The "DD" was intended as a spot for the end user to stamp the delivery date.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Wizo

Sorry I don't have the SPID anymore. When my father bought the truck at auction it had been repainted. it was actually a cool color. it was root beer brown with just a hint of metal flake. unfortunately, the numbskull that painted the truck flipped the glove box door open and painted over most of the SPID sheet. the rest of what you explain to me makes a lot of sense now. now I just have to figure out what 68 100 means. thank you for your help and information.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
SS Tim

I'd say it codes to a FY (fiscal year) 68 contract, possibly even number 100. Unless you want to do a lot of digging (if you even can) you are very unlikely to get contract specifics. Certainly not going to be worth the effort IMHO.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
Howdy all;A long time good friend of mine purchased this Saturday a 67 SWB with a big back window (bonus).I haven't seen it yet but from what he says sounds like he got a good deal.I have two real head scratchin questions about vin tags that i can't find anything on. The first 6 digits of his vin# are as such
C S 1 3 7 Z We can't find and have no clue what the #3 pertains to. everything I have looked up shows that,this number should be a 4, 5, or 6.
All the numbers on his frame, vin tag, title and SPID show a number three. Anybody have any clue or ideas why it is a number three or what it pertains to?
Next question; My truck is a 68 short step side that i got from my father in the early eighties.My father said it use to belong to the Oregon forestry service when he bought at an auction. underneath the line that is the normal vin # is another line of letters and numbers that are listed as such……B ID DDC 68 100
I haven't the foggiest idea what these mean. anybody out there have any ideas? I would really appreciate any help.thanks.
I think Bruceman has this one correct.
Your VIN decodes as a 1/2 ton cab and chassis (no bed) delivered with a six cylinder gas engine. BUT, it is not a 68. From the vin it looks like a 70. All of this raises one very important question: Is this the VIN Tag for the truck you are looking at or did this tag come from another vehicle? Take a very careful look at the title.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I think Bruceman has this one correct.
Your VIN decodes as a 1/2 ton cab and chassis (no bed) delivered with a six cylinder gas engine. BUT, it is not a 68. From the vin it looks like a 70. All of this raises one very important question: Is this the VIN Tag for the truck you are looking at or did this tag come from another vehicle? Take a very careful look at the title.
Looks like there is some misunderstanding.
Not at all sure where you are getting the 70 from.

C Conventional Cab 4x2
S I-6 engine
1 1/2 ton
3 Chassis-Cab (no bed)
7 1967
Z Fremont,CA assembly
sequence number

From the above the truck is data tagged as a 67.

The second truck (contract truck) is a 68 as stated by the O/P in post #1.