The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
dj1096

Old schooler going new skewl

Okay, I have a love of Chevy trucks as most do here. I have restored or at least owned every 60's make and model and a few earlier and later.

My first truck I had was a 69' CST 3/4 ton Texas bed. I had no idea they were not a common truck and since then have looked for another.

It happened. a friend had one on a trailer getting read to crush it and gave it to me. the problem is it had a thrown rod and I only have a LS1 police Interceptor to install in it with a TH 700 from a 90 g20 van. I have no idea what electric problems I should expect. I prefer the old school motors but are finding them increasingly rare. My experience with engines are pretty much limited to the pre mid 80's.

This will be my last build. I figure stopping on the same model as I started is fitting. We are planning on building this one in the Multiple Sclerosis colors and using it at shows to raise awareness, as MS is why I am retiring building trucks.

Any ideas, advice, or knowledge on converting to the LS1 would be great.

Thanks,

CHEVYS FOREVER

Last edited by dj1096; 09-24-2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: wrong tags
dj1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: Old schooler going new skewl

Not sure what an LS1 Police interceptor or a Texas bed is, but anyway. LS swaps are very popular. That is the direction I would go. The best way is to use it with a 4L60E or 4L80E transmission. With a drive-by-wire LS you will not be able to use a 700R4 because you will have no way to make the TV cable work. Most people get the LS harness from the donor vehicle or you can buy them from several places including Street and Performance, Howell, and others. There is a subsection dedicated to LS swaps, so I would look there. Good luck with your build.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
michael bustamante

too bad youre not closer, id trade you for my 350 punched out .30 over.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Mike C

I think he means the truck had the 8 1/2" Longhorn bed (thus the Texas referencce!)
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
BB72CHEVKT

Cool Re: Old schooler going new skewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I think he means the truck had the 8 1/2" Longhorn bed (thus the Texas referencce!)
I was born and raised and still live in Texas and I couldn't read between the lines and figure that one out.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
dj1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
too bad youre not closer, id trade you for my 350 punched out .30 over.
You never know, I am from Questa, NM and visit often! lol My wife would just love for me to make an engine swap 850 miles away from home!
Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
dj1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I was born and raised and still live in Texas and I couldn't read between the lines and figure that one out.
Yes I meant the "Longhorn" CST was on my first truck. The Longhorn was made for a camper so it is also known as the camper special with the longer bed, four speed and they were 3/4 ton, power steering and breaks, and in dash AC

The one I have now has the normal long bed, 1/2 ton, with factory power steering, power breaks, AC in dash, AM radio.

It is a good truck to build when you are ready to slow down a bit...which I am not but my body is!

Last edited by dj1096; 09-24-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
let me know, maybe we can work something out! i also have a running 283 and sm420 tranny
Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1096 View Post
Texas bed - LS1 police Interceptor - TH 700
do what?
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
GMC-YA68

Quote:
I prefer the old school motors but are finding them increasingly rare. :
Yes, SBC 350s are no where to be found these days.

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
dj1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
do what?
This a site that explains a bit about the various custom Chevy and GMC trucks of the 67-72 models including the the CST and Longhorn. The th700 is an 80's made transmission, the police interceptor is as it sounds, a police car engine that was modified for police cars.

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/i...icles/1967-72/
Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #12
Willie Makeit

LS police interceptor
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
dj1096

Quote:
LS police interceptor
Why is that funny?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
MARKDTN

Quote:
Why is that funny?
Probably because there is no such thing. An LS1 is a 5.7L engine and was only available in a Corvette/Camaro/GTO from 1997-2004. There is an (LT1) 9C1 Police package that was available until 1996 in the Caprices. The LT1 is COMPLETELY different than an LS. From what I can tell there is nothing extra special about these engines over the other B-Bodies. The LS type engines available in the FWD Impalas after that will not interchange with the F-body/Truck/Corvette LS engines after that-and not sure there is a police Interceptor version of that either anyway. The Ford Police cars do have a Police Interceptor engine, but that is not what you say you have.

Here is a wiki article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9C1_(C...Police_package)
I don't believe everything on wiki, but this is probably decently correct.
Also a Hot Rod article on LS engine history
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/090...ngine-history/

What did your LS1 Police Interceptor engine come out of? That would help figure out what it is and how best to use it.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
leftybass209

Quote:
LS police interceptor
Instead of laughing at what the OP is saying, you can be more helpful and try and answer his questions or not post at all. This forum is designed to be helpful not belittling, you can go elsewhere for that. That's a great way to get new people to leave and not contribute to this site.

there is nothing different mechanically between a normal LS1, and the one that came in the 2002ish Camaro. The only difference is a higher output alternator for the added electronics, and an oil and transmission cooler.

You're asking about an LS swap, which is rapidly becoming a really common thing. There's plenty of references to what people are doing, just try a forum search. Drop the LS1 phrase and just use LS when searching. The blocks are the same and that's the important information you are looking for. The aftermarket has motor mounts, headers, computer interfaces, and all that jazz to make the swap simple. Many members here will have information regarding what radiators work, any clearance issues, or anything else that may come up during the swap.

As MARKTDN said, the LS is drive by wire, so your throttle input merely tells a computer to adjust the throttle body based on a TPS sensor. If you want to run the 700r4, you'd have to switch to a carb setup, which is also readily available for LS engines. You get worse gas mileage compared to FI, but have the potential for more horsepower than a non-turbo/supercharged FI setup.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I would recommend either the GM 350 "290hp" or "260hp" crate engines that are available from Jeg's or Summit racing.

Either will bolt right in and you will probably save money in the process.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
dj1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Instead of laughing at what the OP is saying, you can be more helpful and try and answer his questions or not post at all. This forum is designed to be helpful not belittling, you can go elsewhere for that. That's a great way to get new people to leave and not contribute to this site.

there is nothing different mechanically between a normal LS1, and the one that came in the 2002ish Camaro. The only difference is a higher output alternator for the added electronics, and an oil and transmission cooler.

You're asking about an LS swap, which is rapidly becoming a really common thing. There's plenty of references to what people are doing, just try a forum search. Drop the LS1 phrase and just use LS when searching. The blocks are the same and that's the important information you are looking for. The aftermarket has motor mounts, headers, computer interfaces, and all that jazz to make the swap simple. Many members here will have information regarding what radiators work, any clearance issues, or anything else that may come up during the swap.

As MARKTDN said, the LS is drive by wire, so your throttle input merely tells a computer to adjust the throttle body based on a TPS sensor. If you want to run the 700r4, you'd have to switch to a carb setup, which is also readily available for LS engines. You get worse gas mileage compared to FI, but have the potential for more horsepower than a non-turbo/supercharged FI setup.
Thank you for the info. As I said at the beginning of this post, I am out of my realm with anything that is not truly old school. I have not checked the numbers on the block myself, I only know it came out of a late eighties police car and was told by the friend who owned it told me. Since I saw what it came out of I had no reason to doubt him, he has been a long and honest friend.

I will check the numbers myself next time I am under the hood. The tyranny is one I personally owned for years and am sure of what it is
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #18
leftybass209

If you are sure it was a late 80's car, then there couldn't be any way it's an LS engine. Rather, you most likely have some other engine model code, such as LT-1 for instance, which is much more associated with old-school gen I sbc's in relation to the LS engines.

Does it have electronics above the valve covers? Does it look like a SBC or does it look like a new aluminum motor?

In that respect, staying with a gen I or II SBC would put you miles ahead. The crate engine suggestion is spot on. You can rob most of the functioning accessories and extras from what you currently have or what's on the truck, and have a 0 mile motor for pennies what it would cost to rebuild a SBC (if that's what the motor you have truly is).

Pictures always help!!!!!!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
MARKDTN

Quote:
If you are sure it was a late 80's car, then there couldn't be any way it's an LS engine. Rather, you most likely have some other engine model code, such as LT-1 for instance, which is much more associated with old-school gen I sbc's in relation to the LS engines.

Does it have electronics above the valve covers? Does it look like a SBC or does it look like a new aluminum motor?

In that respect, staying with a gen I or II SBC would put you miles ahead. The crate engine suggestion is spot on. You can rob most of the functioning accessories and extras from what you currently have or what's on the truck, and have a 0 mile motor for pennies what it would cost to rebuild a SBC (if that's what the motor you have truly is).

Pictures always help!!!!!!
Agree. Need more information and a photo would really help.

Through 1990 the Police Caprice had a 350 Carbureted engine. That was the '71-76 or '77-90 body style. The Police engine may have 4 bolt mains, but who knows. That engine would directly bolt into a '67-72 truck and use either accessories from the truck or the car. A 700R4 is easy to add and factory brackets and TV cables exist for Q-jet carbs. a 305 (and 4.3 V6) that was TBI fuel injected was also available in the last few years-see '91-93 for possibilities.

1991-1996 Body Style B-body are all fuel injected. The engine will bolt in and use the 67-72 truck exhaust manifolds. The '91-93 is throttle body injected and a 700R4 is easy to add and brackets and TV cables exist. You can use accessories from either the truck or the car. '94-96 is the LT1 (also '92-96 Corvette and '93-97 F-body) and must use LT1 accessories from car. A 700R4 is possible to add but was only available that way for 1992 Corvette. An LT1 is easy to tell from older small blocks. It has no distributor and the spark plug wires go behind the water pump to the opti-spark.

After 1996/1997 there are no more car applications for the original small-block. It remained in pickups until 2000. The LS style engines began in 1997 Corvette followed by 1998 F-bodies and in 2000 the trucks.

Hope that helps. Post some kind of picture so we know what you have.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #20
lowlife21

Phoenix engines check them out they are great engines and reasonably priced I have a 350 the rebuilt in mine and haven't had any issues
Posted via Mobile Device
lowlife21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #21
Blakeman350

If it is a ls engine and possibly a miscommunication on the car it came out of there are parts available to convert ls engines to run with a 4 barrel carb, so no electronics. Makes for a pretty cool old school look when set up with a high rise intake and good headers and tons of power too. It sould like odds are it's a LT as others have stated, but don't worry I won't laugh at you these things happen. It's not a bad things if it is from the 80s tho, I've read a few articles of guys using late 80s tbi 350s to make fairly high horse power budget builds. If you can find a good set of late 90s vortec heads on the cheap and port and polish them yourself with a good intake and carb you can build a pretty mean engine for cheaper then a crate egine. Just my opinion. Hope to see some pics soon so we can all see what you got to work with.
Blakeman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #22
doo142

Quote:

Amen brother!!! Glad someone stepped up and said something, it was starting to sound like other sites I don't go to anymore, peace!!
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #23
67 chevelle

Quote:

I have a drive by wire ly6 in my 67 with a 2004r trany , throtle cable is hooked to the pedal , so there are ways to do this , the 700r4 and 2004r use similar throttle position cables
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote