The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Question TPI and high lift cams

I love the throttle response of fuel injection and would like to see if I could put in on a large SBC engine. The camshaft is the old Crane Cam Saturday Night Special solid tappet.

If I do go this route how difficult is the injector wiring?

there is a guy on Craigs list that has all this stuff that I would need!

Quote:
have a bunch of tpi and lt1 parts. Factory and stand alone harnesses, Intakes, injectors, high pressure inline fuel pumps, new distributors for tbi or tpi,

Here is a list of the uncut factory harnesses and computers I have right now

1994 trans am lt1/t56 engine wiring harness and pcm
1995 camaro z28 lt1 pcm and 4l60e wiring harness with blue wiring looming.
1994 camaro z28 lt1 auto 4l60e wiring harness and pcm
89 trans am tpi 350 full underhood wiring and pcm
91 trans am tbi engine harness and 350 ecm fully labeled with tuned chip
92 camaro tpi harness fully tested and retaped

$250 each

I also have an 86 and 89 tpi harness with a couple cut wires. 100 Each. lt1 intakes 50 each bare, 125 complete.

If you need any tpi or lt1 parts just let me know. This is just an idea of what I have.
So what would I need besides the intake manifold to make this work? I know I would need some kind of wiring harness and high pressure fuel pump.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: TPI and high lift cams

I think you're going to have problems getting a TPI to work properly with a big cam like that. Especially since it is a solid lifter, it will be setting off the knock sensor all the time.

My son and I put a TPI on a mild SBC400 a few years ago, and after 12+ chips from a company that specializes in TPI, we gave up and went back to a carb.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 10-11-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
cableguy0

they simply dont flow near enough air and especially do not like big cams. you can spend 2 grand on an aftermarket intake setup but by the time you buy the injectors computer and other parts needed to get it to run right you could have built another engine.the tpi setup was orginally designed for a 305 and did great but once you add a bunch of cubic inches and a big cam etc it just cant handle it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Rodms

You will eat parts cams lifters if you throw it in,you can make it work but need alot of research
Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
C20-67_N_MO

Okay then what camshaft will work that will make 425-450 horsepower at the rear wheels?

If not then I will stay with a carb.

I just love the throttle response of a TPI setup!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
cableguy0

if your willing to lose 150 or so horsepower off what you want the tpi will work great but it doesnt have a fighting chance at supporting that kind of horsepower.theres no reason a carb cant have instant throttle response.once you get into a big cams and heads and what not your not going to have crisp great low rpm response. its a vaccum issue with the engine and parts designed to not make power until 3k rpm or more. the injection wont change it. making the combo work together is the key. if you dont think carbs have good throttle response come to baltimore and i will take you for a ride in my truck . its all about tuning
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
C20-67_N_MO

Then I will stick to my orginal plans.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
toms84ss

If you want to read up on TPI and what it takes to make power. Go to thirdgen.org and check out the TPI section and So-Cal section. There are a couple guys in socal who have some well tuned and highly modded TPI set ups. They run 12's with them but make less then 400 HP at the wheels. These guys have tons on time in these set ups. Hours and hours of tuning and re-tuning. They also have to meet California smog laws so there is the handicap of having to use CARB approved parts. Long story short stick with a well tuned carb and save a TON of money and headaches. A wide band O2 sensor will go a long way towards tuning.
toms84ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
C20-67_N_MO

Red face Re: TPI and high lift cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms84ss View Post
Long story short stick with a well tuned carb and save a TON of money and headaches. A wide band O2 sensor will go a long way towards tuning.
Yup.

Thats the plan.

Sure I like the throttle response but over all cost and horsepower can be achieved w/o the b.s. of TPI of other fuel injection and a huge cost savings that I can apply towards the body, suspension or other parts of my truck.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
toms84ss

If you really like TPI, look in to a Holley Stealth Ram. It's not smog legal as it has no provision for EGR. But it will feed a healthy small block to over 6000 RPM. It can be used with a GM ECM or the Holley ECM.
toms84ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
C20-67_N_MO

Smile Re: TPI and high lift cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms84ss View Post
If you really like TPI, look in to a Holley Stealth Ram. It's not smog legal as it has no provision for EGR. But it will feed a healthy small block to over 6000 RPM. It can be used with a GM ECM or the Holley ECM.
Yeah but I think for the money I will probably apply it towards something else at this stage.

I might do a LSx motor in my next project that already has everything ready to go. But as of right now my mindset is to stick with a 750cfm Holley or Demon Carb.

But thanks for the reply. Very good idea indeed!

Last edited by C20-67_N_MO; 10-17-2009 at 12:53 PM.
C20-67_N_MO is offline   Reply With Quote