The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
LT7A

Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 2wd 350/4L80

This is a good place to tell us a little bit about how you ended up with the rig, why you got it. What you want to do with it, etc. That paint sure looks like it could be cleaned and preserved. I've been able to make 40-year-old paint look better than you'd expect. I actually only work on it by hand though, because it can be fragile. I use a lot of meguiar's stuff. I assume that it's single stage, no clear coat? I'd give it a good washing. Then use an iron fallout remover. Then clay bar it including glass and chrome. Then use Maguire's number 7 to soak into the paint itself. Then a light compound, a polish, and a wax. All by hand, and I go panel by panel. Takes me a couple/3 days on a rig that I haven't cleaned before. If it takes you more than a day, like me, then you'll want to rewash panels before you go to work on them. You don't want to start rubbing the fine dust into the paint. If you keep it indoors though, no need.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Riboflav1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
This is a good place to tell us a little bit about how you ended up with the rig, why you got it. What you want to do with it, etc. That paint sure looks like it could be cleaned and preserved. I've been able to make 40-year-old paint look better than you'd expect. I actually only work on it by hand though, because it can be fragile. I use a lot of meguiar's stuff. I assume that it's single stage, no clear coat? I'd give it a good washing. Then use an iron fallout remover. Then clay bar it including glass and chrome. Then use Maguire's number 7 to soak into the paint itself. Then a light compound, a polish, and a wax. All by hand, and I go panel by panel. Takes me a couple/3 days on a rig that I haven't cleaned before. If it takes you more than a day, like me, then you'll want to rewash panels before you go to work on them. You don't want to start rubbing the fine dust into the paint. If you keep it indoors though, no need.
Wow, that's quite a regimen for the paint. I down for it, though, I'd love to rescue this paint. I'm going to look further into this, thanks!
Old 03-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
BlueJeep

Good story, and looks like a great suburban!

If you're looking for some subdued wheels, Detroit steel may be your best option. There are a ton of aluminum options for 8 lug, but most of them will not look good if you're keeping with a "classic" look. As for lowering it, your main hangup will be getting less than 6" easily. You might look into drop springs, as drop shackles that work for pickups interfere with the gas filler and floor on a suburban.

For keeping it rust free, your best solution is going to be to put it away in late November and then get it back out in March and drive a beater in the winter. That's what I do.

PS, I like the scout!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Riboflav1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Good story, and looks like a great suburban!

If you're looking for some subdued wheels, Detroit steel may be your best option. There are a ton of aluminum options for 8 lug, but most of them will not look good if you're keeping with a "classic" look. As for lowering it, your main hangup will be getting less than 6" easily. You might look into drop springs, as drop shackles that work for pickups interfere with the gas filler and floor on a suburban.

For keeping it rust free, your best solution is going to be to put it away in late November and then get it back out in March and drive a beater in the winter. That's what I do.

PS, I like the scout!
Thanks, I like the little stable of vehicles you're building.

I don't want to go too low as this is my tow vehicle and I don't want to affect the towing capacity. I've seen 4/6 kits for the R2500 but not sure I can do that and keep the current tires on it.

As soon as the snow fell this last winter I parked it and didn't move it until everything had melted, and even then I washed the underside every time I drove it in case of salt left on the roads. So, I'm probably just going to end up doing what you do. I usually have at least two or three other cars to drive, though sometimes, like now, I have all of my other vehicles in the middle of some project. I have a Mercedes E500 4matic wagon that's usually my winter car, but a u-joint went out on the right front so it's been sitting until I can get around to replacing it.

Last edited by Riboflav1n; 03-13-2021 at 02:39 PM.