The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Aarons72

72 C-10 and my first child...is it safe?

My wife and I are expecting our first child soon and I'm hoping that I don't have to part with the truck for safety reasons...What are your thoughts/experiences with putting a baby seat in the cab of an old truck? Is it not safe? Is it safer than new cars? Is it the same? Is this a stupid question? IDK...I just want to protect my little one ya know

*1971 GMC Burban - Daily
*1962 Nova
Aarons72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

Re: 72 C-10 and my first child...is it safe?

My opinion is, anything "old" is a solid chunk of metal and would probably fare pretty well in an accident.

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
John @ BROTHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1 View Post
My opinion is, anything "old" is a solid chunk of metal and would probably fare pretty well in an accident.
Not necessarily true. When it comes to kids, safety comes first. Just watch this.

John @ BROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Aarons72

WOW...that is a really interesting video...thanks for the post.

Any more opinions out there ro info?

*1971 GMC Burban - Daily
*1962 Nova
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
fine69

I personally think this is a silly question. It's not necessarily the vehicle you are in. But the way you drive, and where you drive.

Every person here lived through being in an old vehicle. I am sure you little one will be ok as well.

I have a 2 year old and will not hesitate to take her in my truck/old car.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Aarons72

Ya, I totally understand but I thought I'd see what you guys have seen/heard/know etc...

I've heard that it's not safe to put babies in the front seat etc...the back seat is safer...but that all depends on where you get hit...airbags and all that. My gas tank is in my cab, but I've only heard rumors about those actually blowing up.

My wife is concerned so I told her I would ask the experts

*1971 GMC Burban - Daily
*1962 Nova
Old 09-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

My 3 year old loves riding around in my '71, and when my '51 is on the road he will ride around in that with me also. The biggest thing that I would recommend is getting new seat belts; the retractable 3-point shoulder strap belts. Spend the extra money if you don't already have them. These trucks came equip for them.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/CBCBW.htm

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
IRN BRU

My 2 year old daughter loves riding in my 72. Mostly because she is next to me and can see out the front. I only take her on short rides around town though, we have a car for longer family trips.
IRN BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
cam.man67

Listen, I wouldn't be afraid of it (my truck's too loud for a kid, but that's a different story ). Like has been said before, it's not about the vehicle, it's about the driver. By you driving a less technologically advanced vehicle, you personally will focus more on driving, and thus be safer on the road. That's my biggest complaint about modern cars, that you're too insulated, cushy and unconscious of the road. I think it's a great opportunity for you child, a great way to get 'em brainwashed young! My first vehicle ride of memory was in a beat-up 1970 C50 grain truck. And I loved it and have been a die-hard Chevy dude ever since.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
cdowns

my parents had vehicles from the 40's thru60's when i grew up and never had car seats and i lived thru it just fine

the safety of children is directly linked with driving skill judgement and decisions of parents while in the car
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
big_al_71

Any questions?
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
6772owner
Gearhead

I dont think I would hesitate either, the "no child seat in front seat" deal is because of air bags I believe. They are just too powerful and will hurt the child when they explode, I wouldnt worry about the truck. If the gas tank scares you, then just do a Blazer tank swap and get down the road.

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
andymarkv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp51chevy View Post
The biggest thing that I would recommend is getting new seat belts; the retractable 3-point shoulder strap belts. Spend the extra money if you don't already have them. These trucks came equip for them.
http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/CBCBW.htm
Very nice, I hadn't seen that!! I think in this day and age of seatbelt facts, 3-point belts are a worth while up-grade.

I think as long as you can keep the little one strapped in you'll be fine.
It all depends on what kind of collision happens. There are some crashes where no amount of safety gear is going to save you.

I did see that someone was killed on Hot Rod Power Tour this year. He was driving a 69 Camaro when a nonparticipant crossed the center line and hit him head on. It makes me wonder if he had any seat belt on. If not, could a three point belt have saved his life?

Old cars and trucks are great, but if the equipment is out there to better protect ourselves and isn't prohibitively expensive, we should really think about it.

Just because we drive cautiously doesn't mean we can control the other idiots out there.

Last edited by andymarkv; 09-10-2010 at 09:56 AM.
andymarkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Zeke's Garage

It's no safer than anything else you do in life, or just as safe... depends on how you look at it.

I was wary of 40 year old lap belts in my '67, so I installed some newer Silverado seats with the 3 point integrated belts, and my 4 year old son LOVES 'his' truck.

He just graduated to a booster seat, and it fits great, plus I wouldn't trade the time we get to ride around in it together for anything.

Besides, we all remember how 'safe' our parents were when we were growing up. I remember my Dad racing people in our '69 Vette while my Mom was screaming at him and I was shoved in the package try behind the seats

Shawn
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
mikewarme

Think about it this way guys. Yes the driver is important..... But it does not have to be your fault. The careless driving of another person is all it takes.
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #16
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I spent my childhood travelling all over Europe unrestrained in the back of a VW camper, I'm still here. I know roads today are a little more busy (well they are over on our crowded little island) so I'd maybe be a bit more hesitant about taking a newborn out in it but as soon as my truck is back on the road my 3 1/2 year old twin boys are definitely coming out for a ride in it. In fact I'm constantly being pestered by one of them about it, he's definitely going to grow up into a petrolhead, his favourite "reading" material is a diecast car catalogue. In fact here they are a while back performing shall we say their daily ablutions and reading my car magazines

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #17
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
Think about it this way guys. Yes the driver is important..... But it does not have to be your fault. The careless driving of another person is all it takes.
That's what I'm worried about.

Personally, I would take my daughter in the truck if I got a seat or seatbelt upgrade. But even after that and moving the tank to the rear my wife will absolutely not allow her to ride in the truck with me. It's a shame because my daughter is at the point where she loves trucks.

Even after making the old heavy steel and frame on body arguments she still won't budge. Especially after seeing the video above.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My personal feelings are like those who grew up w/o seat belts. There are six kids in my family. I'm the oldest. We didn't have seat belts and my youngest sister sat in Moms lap. Younger brother sat between Mom and Dad. The rest of us sat in the back seat. We didn't have a station wagon, either.

I hauled my daughter in my '65 C-10. Her car seat had two arms that went between the cushion and the seat back. No belts. Metal dash....no pad. She is now 35.

Whatever you do, tho....do NOT ask Click and Clack. They will tell you that nobody is safe unless you drive a vehicle with airbags, yada, yada, yada.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
50bomb

I think your never really safe in any vehicle. You take the chance everyday driving on the streets. Is it safe to walk down the street pushing your baby in a stroller? Taking the chance that some idiot drinkin and drivin or just dont know how to drive and drives right up on the curb ya know?
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
panda68

i haul my wife and 4 year old daughter around in my truck all the time. accidents are very unpredictable even someone in the safest car can be injured or killed if the conditions are right. i just pay attention and keep a good distance in front of me incase i have to react. no child should be denied cruising in classic iron.lol
Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #21
Christiansok

I agree with some of the people here that defensive driving on your part can only do so much. Some of the drivers on the road are just, well....unpredictable, and its a shame.

I will have to disagree with most everyone else sharing their stories of growing up with these vehicles, riding around without seat belts and turning out just fine. It's great that you survived child hood in these vehicles but not really relevant to the vehicle's safety. There are plenty of people around today that grew up in these vehicles to tell about it but there are people who didn't live to tell about it who can't share their stories here. A vehicle's safety only comes into question once you get into an accident. If you never get into an accident it isn't an issue, but when you do it becomes very, very important. Riding around in your dad's pickup standing on the front seat is a great story...until you get into an accident.

Without a doubt newer vehicles are safer but I wouldn't hesitate to let a child ride in your truck. However, I would wait until they're 1.5-2 years old like most people here. That's just my 2 cents, thought I'd share it because it seemed the discussion was getting off track with all the stories.
Christiansok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #22
57larry

I got 3 kids in their 30's. all grew up in old cars, no mishaps. all 3 now have their old cars/trucks with their families. don't live in fear
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I grew up in the,Dad's right arm across the chest inplace of a seat belt,era.I think that the old rides have (for the most part) Safer drivers since they usually work hard to keep them reliable and in good condition.They don't want to lose their investment.There's no reason not to add the 3 point belts and other safety stuff if you can.
That said,you can buy a Volvo(usually known for safety),live in a gated neighborhood,use the home alarm system religiously,eat only organic vegatarian,you can see the Dr.daily or even become one.There are still a thousand ways to die.So my question is,Why would you want to have a life you didn't live? Or have a child you kept from living a life with a little "FUN" in it?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #24
rsavage

Infants (under 20 lbs) in NY have to face backwards in their car seats. If your truck is very solid underneath, seat and seat belt mounting points solid, you have a good car seat, and your seat belts new not 40 years old, I don't see a problem. I take my Grandson who is 4 1/2 pretty often. Put him/her in the middle as he/she would be better protected from side impacts. Trucks, unless yours is lowered, sit higher than cars and have stout frames and bumpers, both of which are an advantage in my opinion.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #25
justtime520

I see vehicle accidents all the time and I see alot of the older vehicles with a lot less damage and injury then the new ones. I also have been driving my daughter in my 71 since she came home from the hospital. I remember my boss would complain about it all the time. But she got use to it.
justtime520 is offline   Reply With Quote