The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
pritch

Re: garage concrete ???

Those front discharge mixers were invented right here in Utah in the early 70's.
Story is, they wanted a more efficient way to transport the mud for one specific job-the placing of the footings and foundation for the smoke stack at the Kennecott copper mine smelter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennecott_Smokestack

Invented by a fellow named Royal W Sims of Holladay, Utah:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_mixer

I don't think I've seen a rear-discharge mixer in Utah in 20 years. I don't know why everywhere don't have these FDM's. I have heard that some unions won't let them in because they may eliminate the chute-mans job, but the logic of that argument escapes me. I have never been on a flatwork crew that wasn't shorthanded. The chute man don't lose his job-he just loses his easy Job Besides, the newer rear-discharge mixers are completely remote controlled, with the driver controlling the chutes and even the truck itself from outside of the truck via a wireless controller. They have some of those up in Rock Springs, Wyoming, where my current job is. They're pretty wild!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon
Re: garage concrete ???

Yes Sir’ the trucks we used were manufactured by Rite-Way, they were three axle and carried a max of 10yd’s.

And it was from 1973 until 1981 that I chased around a muck rake, I never seemed to catch up to it though…

My Daddy used to tell me that it came to concrete work the only easy part was parking you truck on it, the rest was damm tough.

Good luck with chosen career
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote