The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

Mounting the in dash speaker & new radio

Hey!

Never mounted a stereo or in dash speaker in our trucks. My 70 is bone stock and came with the dash "grated" so to say for the speaker. The only question I have is about mounting the speaker & the rear support for the radio.

First the speaker. The one I procured is the one from Brothers. Has anyone ever put one of these in? It has a single mount tab and I was wondering if that tab goes under the dash pad?

Next is the stereo. The only question I have is about the rear support. How have you guys put this in? I just get nervous drilling holes in the cab's cowl area! LOL

Thanks guys!

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Mounting the in dash speaker & new radio

Everything will go under the dash pad and look as though it isn't even there.

The radio should basically bolt in like the stock unit. There might be a small bracket that has to be bent for the rear support.

Brother's might have included some more specific instructions if you look through the packaging. I know that the manuals that came with the unit and speaker will be of almost no help.

It's at this point that I refrain form expressing my personal opinion of the products and wish you luck.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

The speakers came with no instructions. Kind of silly and IMHO could have had a "suggested" method of installation.

The radio will fit right in, the only issue I had was drilling into the cowl area to mount the rear support. I am almost willing to try epoxying the rear support strap instead of drilling a hole. I know I could drill a hole in the flat metal dash and attach the support strap that way, I was avoiding a screw being visible. Its not a huge deal I was just curious what others have done.

Thanks!

Frank

Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

The speaker should just screw in like the stock piece unless you got a different size speaker than what came from the factory.

If that's the case, head to a local stereo shop. They should have an adapter plate of some type to help you.

As for the rear support piece, epoxy won't work. This unit will have to be well secured. If you have to, go find some flat aluminum at Home Depot or where ever and bend it to fit up to an existing bolt under the dash. Drill a couple holes in the new bracket and replace the target bolt with a slightly longer one.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

Whats driving me nuts is that my truck has the proper dash for the radio & speaker, just no bolt holes or studs for the speaker or the rear radio support. Thats basically what I am asking, where does the stock radio rear support and speaker bracket attach? The speaker & radio size up perfectly, just nothing there to attach to.

Frank

Last edited by Old Chevy Mech; 02-21-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

That's odd.

I know that the idea of using aluminum flat will work, you just have to be patient and bend it a little at a time to get a good fit.

The speaker intrigues me now. It sound like you MIGHT have to drile 2-4 small holes in order to mount the speaker, but I can't say with any certainty unless I saw the truck myself, sorry.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Just noticed this thread and and I know I'm late, but I just went through this with my '71. I installed the Custom Autosound stereo & dual voice speaker. My cab did not have the holes drilled for the rear support bracket and I forgot to drill them while everything was out. Now, I did find the 2 factory dimples for the screw holes in the inside cowl area. I purchased an extra long 1/8' drill bit (about 12'-14" long-less than $10.00) at Home Depot and carefully went in through the stereo hole in the dash, and very slowly drilled the holes. It worked like a charm! I did have to tweak the speaker bracket in order to get a good fit around the center a/c duct, but once that was done, everything fit very well. It was not easy getting the dash pad nut back on and tightened, but it just took some time.

Last edited by Botietruck; 04-13-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote