The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
pwdcougar

97 5.7 water pump

Well the water pump on my 97 with the 5.7 is leaking again. This will be the third one since new. Looking at the Rockauto site and there are a lot of options.
ACDELCO 252711 Gold / Professional is $39 and ACDELCO 251719 GM Original Equipment is $150

Is one really $110 better? Any recommendations on water pumps?

Thanks

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 97 5.7 water pump

I'm a Gates man when it comes to cooling system parts. In 30 years of doing it professionally and semi professionally I can't remember a time they've been a disappointment.

Throw a fan clutch at it too to make sure your pump lives a nice long life.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I'm a Gates man when it comes to cooling system parts. In 30 years of doing it professionally and semi professionally I can't remember a time they've been a disappointment.

Throw a fan clutch at it too to make sure your pump lives a nice long life.

Thanks Kevin

Rock shows fan clutches from $29 SKP brand to $100 Genuine GM. Any thoughts there? Other brands are Hayden and Four Seasons. Nothing listed for ACDelco for trucks with AC.

Paul
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Thanks Kevin

Rock shows fan clutches from $29 SKP brand to $100 Genuine GM. Any thoughts there? Other brands are Hayden and Four Seasons. Nothing listed for ACDelco for trucks with AC.

Paul
Hayden is good.

I went over to Rockauto and ran your truck through the lookup. If it were me I'd choose the Hayden 2786 for 37 dollars. Be sure and use a discount code any time you order from Rockauto !
Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
pwdcougar

Quote:
Hayden is good.

I went over to Rockauto and ran your truck through the lookup. If it were me I'd choose the Hayden 2786 for 37 dollars. Be sure and use a discount code any time you order from Rockauto !
Thanks!

This is why I love this forum.

Paul
Old 01-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
speedygonzales

Let us know how the $40 water pump goes. I have the original cast iron water pump that came with my truck in 1998. I'm not going to buy a cheap ass water pump. Sorry.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
Just call me Sean

I use the lifetime warranty Auto Zone water pumps. No problems as long as I don't let the coolant run low.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
speedygonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I use the lifetime warranty Auto Zone water pumps. No problems as long as I don't let the coolant run low.
I always laugh at people that bring up a lifetime warranty. First even if I pay 5 times more. If I am prevented from changing parts often, I have won.

Second, I will tell you having been on both sides of the counter at auto parts stores. They will only give a person a set number of free parts and then turn the customer away. Now I nor anyone else can tell you what that number is. It will depend on many factors. But no one will get unlimited free replacements.

When I had a mower shop, the worst competitive crap made, had the best warranty. A good warranty does not mean you are getting good product.

Last what good is a lifetime warranty if you are either constantly changing the part or worse, stranded?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter

Warranty means nothing to me on most auto parts.

If a water pump fails it's liable to puke 20 dollars worth of antifreeze onto the ground, possibly cause an overheat and ensuing engine damage, possibly damage my fan shroud and/or radiator. It also causes me stress and inconvenience. I ain't got time for that.

The Gates pump I recommended is a good one. I just put one on my own truck a few weeks ago. I try to stick to Gates for most all of my cooling system parts including hoses and thermostats. I've been using Gates, Dayco, Hayden, etc for many years. They've proven themselves reliable.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
I always laugh at people that bring up a lifetime warranty. First even if I pay 5 times more. If I am prevented from changing parts often, I have won.

Second, I will tell you having been on both sides of the counter at auto parts stores. They will only give a person a set number of free parts and then turn the customer away. Now I nor anyone else can tell you what that number is. It will depend on many factors. But no one will get unlimited free replacements.

When I had a mower shop, the worst competitive crap made, had the best warranty. A good warranty does not mean you are getting good product.

Last what good is a lifetime warranty if you are either constantly changing the part or worse, stranded?
Not sure why you're laughing, I told you the lifetime warranty pump is the pump I buy as they also sell ones without the lifetime warranty. I also said I don't have any problems with the lifetime warranty pumps which means I don't have to change pumps often so I also win. Yes I get unlimited free replacements because that's what a lifetime warranty means. I have never been denied a warranty part so maybe it has something to do with you. I didn't say it was a good part because of the warranty I said I have good luck with the lifetime warranty pumps. That means they haven't left me stranded.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #11
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
At which point they must refund your money, and you go buy another one at a different location or company.

OP, how is this your 3rd pump? I'm on the original with over 200k on my 98. I say spend the extra, get the good stuff, and don't worry about it again most likely.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
At which point they must refund your money, and you go buy another one at a different location or company.

OP, how is this your 3rd pump? I'm on the original with over 200k on my 98. I say spend the extra, get the good stuff, and don't worry about it again most likely.
.....and, seriously, check or replace that fan clutch. A bad fan clutch will knock out a water pump.

A few weeks ago I was under my own truck doing some suspension work. I like to lay there with my flashlight and just look around. I do this periodically. This time I look up and notice a drip hanging off my lower radiator hose. Closer look reveals the water pump is leaking out the weep hole.

No big deal, I go in the house and Rockauto a new pump and a new lower hose for good measure.

Ain't no big deal. I do love catching issues before they become a problem anyway. This is a new-to-me truck so I'm still catching up on stuff that needs attention.

The new pump gets here and I install it and the hose. No issues whatsoever. I'm actually humming and enjoying the process. I do love fixing trucks. Then I reach over and grab the fan to install it and something sticky gets on my fingers. What the hell ? Fan clutch leaking. I hadn't noticed that before. Then i really look close and when I rock it forcefully, there is a lot of play in the clutch. A lot !

What's the point ? I nearly missed it and the fan clutch was guaranteed the reason the water pump failed to start with. That's a lot of mass mounted on the snout of that water pump and when it spins wobbly, the bearings stand no chance of enduring it for very long.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
Mr_Rich

I remember when water pumps weren't a fail item. First original pump on my '89 didn't last long at all. In '94 on my third engine that I installed myself at the curb outside my apt. at the time I went with an Edelbrock water pump that was still going strong when I replaced that engine twenty years later at 190K with a fresher engine. I'll stick with the Edelbrock pumps since I feel the ACDelco parts don't have the dependability they once had.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #14
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

It's the third because I've replaced it twice already. No idea why if failed back 17 years ago. I remember doing it back then because I got in big trouble when I did the job. It was August 2003 and I had just come back from colon cancer surgery. Three months shy of my 43rd birthday. Have you guys had your colononoscopy lately? I'm pretty sure I did it again since then. We just got hammered with snow here in NJ and it will be a while before it's warm enough to do the job. Gives me time to order up new upper and lower hoses.

Are the heater hoses formed or are they just standard? Bout time those got done too.

Paul
Old 02-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
It's the third because I've replaced it twice already. No idea why if failed back 17 years ago. I remember doing it back then because I got in big trouble when I did the job. It was August 2003 and I had just come back from colon cancer surgery. Three months shy of my 43rd birthday. Have you guys had your colononoscopy lately? I'm pretty sure I did it again since then. We just got hammered with snow here in NJ and it will be a while before it's warm enough to do the job. Gives me time to order up new upper and lower hoses.

Are the heater hoses formed or are they just standard? Bout time those got done too.

Paul
And a 17yr run is a pretty decent service life!

Mechanical items fail. I'm w/Tx Firefighter on the clutch-fan inspection if someone has a failure they think 'should not' have happened.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
pwdcougar

Thoughts on a fan that is slightly bent? Could that be the reason I've gone through 3 water pumps on my truck?

I'm looking for a replacement already. I didn't notice the bend when until after I sandblasted and painted the old one!
Old 02-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Thoughts on a fan that is slightly bent? Could that be the reason I've gone through 3 water pumps on my truck?

I'm looking for a replacement already. I didn't notice the bend when until after I sandblasted and painted the old one!
Sounds like you found the root of the problem.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #18
pwdcougar

Quote:
Sounds like you found the root of the problem.
Well now the problem is matching up the fan with a replacement. NAPA shows two different fans. A metal 5 blade for trucks without AC and a plastic 11 blade fan for with AC. My truck has AC and it has a 5 blade metal fan that is about 19.5" across. The metal replacement fan says it is 18" across.

The listings on Rockauto and Advance show similar results.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...onEnabled=true
Old 02-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Well now the problem is matching up the fan with a replacement. NAPA shows two different fans. A metal 5 blade for trucks without AC and a plastic 11 blade fan for with AC. My truck has AC and it has a 5 blade metal fan that is about 19.5" across. The metal replacement fan says it is 18" across.
Plastic if it's the same size is how I would go (NAPA says it's 19").
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #20
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Plastic if it's the same size is how I would go (NAPA says it's 19").
That's what I was thinking but why the heck does my truck have this 19" metal fan in it? I bought this truck new so I know it hasn't been replaced!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
That's what I was thinking but why the heck does my truck have this 19" metal fan in it? I bought this truck new so I know it hasn't been replaced!
Might have been what was available from suppliers @ that time. My buddy told me they'll have different parts suppliers sometimes for the L/R versions of some parts strictly because one supplier beats another on costs for that particular item.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #22
diveplane

i got the ac delco heavy duty water pump and fan clutch, think it was 140 if i recall,
never had a issue works a treat. on my v6.
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote