The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #176
capt68

Re: 72 SWB STEP "Army truck" Budget Build

You've done a great job on this build Steve. I love to look at pics of complete builds. It really helps tell the story about all the work that goes into bringing one of these old machines back to life.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #177
WIDESIDE72

I bought a never installed vintage air locally for a out half price. The truck had factory ac brackets and compressor i bought on the parts board and an old aftermarket under dash ac that i dont have much confidence in since it is r12 based. I pulled the brackets and compressor and tried to install the new brackets and almost all of the bolts are missing. I got home too late to call vintage air as they close at 4pm on fridays. I figured it was easier to buy the hardware kit instead of trying to round up oddball length bolts and spacers. I guess there is a reason it was half price. I had to slow down on the project as im studying to take my master electrician test soon. Its a little frustratin to see the truck so close to completion.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #178
WIDESIDE72

I finally feel like I accomplished a little. This evening I sanded the Red Oak bed wood I bought almost a year ago from Bedwood and Parts. I applied a coat of marine sealer

http://www.waterlox.com/products-ite...od-sealer.aspx

Next will be a coat of Waterlox Tung oil f
http://www.waterlox.com/products-ite...ne-finish.aspx

There is not going to be enough to do the bottom side. I will also need another can of sealer. I prefer this product to varnish and polyurethane as it can be touched up without having to strip anyhting off. We had good luck with it on th GMC. It had been on there nearly seven years and still looked great when he sold the truck.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #179
WIDESIDE72

A quart of each of thesse runs about $60 total.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #180
67cheby
67cheby

Looks nice !
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #181
WIDESIDE72

I adjusted the float on my qjet on the "army truck budget build", fixed the oil leak by tightening the drain plug. The shop that painted truck also tore engine apart to detail it (dont ask sore subject) and when they added oil i guess they forgot that small detail. I also noticed when they pulled the engine they removed the frame stands and those bolts are loose too. I got my sanden compressor mounted for the vintage air. I bought the kit used never installed for $700 and po lost a lot of the bolts for brackets. I called vintage air and they wanted $50 just for the bolts nuts an spacers, so i said "no thanks" and made a trip to tractor supply across the highway and came back with everything i needed for about $6.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 09-15-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #182
WIDESIDE72

Still havent got the bedwood in yet. I thinkk i am going to have to trim one of the crossmembers due to the blazer tank install. I sort of have truck ADHD. When i run into trouble i move to something else and it seems like progress is slow like that. It has been so hot (100+) that i have sort of lost interest as well. I did bring it from my rental property where it was under a cover and carport to my house/ attached garage, but i had to back it in and put the pass side all the way against the wall so my wife can still park inside. She is very understanding and said she would park outside but i dont want her to, since one of the reasons we bought the house was for convenience/ security of a garage as we have a 2 yr old daughter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #183
WIDESIDE72

A while back i bought a new underhood harness as the old one was a rats nest. Since i was planning on going with HEI, i bought a harness that is supposed to be "plug and play" from Brothers. I started the truck maybe twice then tore it apart for paint, having never actually driven it. I am putting the truck back together and reinstalled the harness. I started the truck fine and drive it about 100 yards and it quit. I checked and have 12 volts at the pink power wire plugged in to the dist with key on not cranking. When cranking it drops to 8-9 volts. I had to unplug the pink wire at the dist and hook a hot wire from the battery to the dist to get it to run. I posted my issue on the forum and with some input from good people here and some research on my own i have a few things to try tomorrow. 1. Check grounds 2. Lube connections 3. Possibly install a relay if it still wont work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #184
WIDESIDE72

I tried to install the pre bent exhaust down pipes to the rams horns but it appears the pipes are too large as they wont bolt up. Where the pipe is flared for the donut it is too large for The pipe to fit between the studs. Nice Hooker system all pretty bends but im going to have to take it ti a muffler shop after all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #185
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
A while back i bought a new underhood harness as the old one was a rats nest. Since i was planning on going with HEI, i bought a harness that is supposed to be "plug and play" from Brothers. I started the truck maybe twice then tore it apart for paint, having never actually driven it. I am putting the truck back together and reinstalled the harness. I started the truck fine and drive it about 100 yards and it quit. I checked and have 12 volts at the pink power wire plugged in to the dist with key on not cranking. When cranking it drops to 8-9 volts. I had to unplug the pink wire at the dist and hook a hot wire from the battery to the dist to get it to run. I posted my issue on the forum and with some input from good people here and some research on my own i have a few things to try tomorrow. 1. Check grounds 2. Lube connections 3. Possibly install a relay if it still wont work.
Posted via Mobile Device
I cleaned all the connections and got the voltage at the dist up to 10.5 volts but still wouldnt run so i swapped an old gm hei module in and she fired right up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #186
WIDESIDE72

Today i cleaned and painted the oem jack andhandle i got one here as well as rhe outer bumper brackets and one of the brake booster support rods. I also ran the intermediate harness for the rear lights, installed the tailgate chain covers and started trying to figure out the dome light/ door switch harness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #187
WIDESIDE72

Sent the Hooker exhaust back to Summit and ordered a system from LMC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #188
WIDESIDE72

The LMC exhaust came in yesterday. Tonight I started trying to install the head pipes. Each section has a label with the respective location such as "left downpipe" or "right tail pipe". I started with the right head pipe (passenger side in my book) and there was no way it was going on. The bend angle was all wrong. I gave up and tried the left (driver) pipe. Same issue. I wondered to myself if they mislabelled them, so I tried swapping them. BINGO! Like a glove! Intermediates were mislabelled as well, but at least they were consistent! I will need to cut the intermediate pipes down since the kit is for a lwb or swb and i have a swb. I also plan to buy some of the tailpipe pookie sealer stuff before permanent assembly. Debating on whether or not to use the pipe clamps on the joints or mig weld or both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #189
WIDESIDE72

Its been too long without a photo update. I got the exhaust bolted on, still needs a little tweaking to get the tail pipes level, also, since it is a universal kit for LWB or SWB trucks, I will need to trim a little off the ends. I also got a set of Cooper Cobra 275 60 r15's monted up on another set of 15x8 rallys. I used the caps I had in another photo and mounted them along with a set of stainless steel trim rings I got on EBAY for $50. I also had to tighten up the lower radiator hose clamp at the radiator. It is already marking its' territory!
Attached Images

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 09-15-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #190
WIDESIDE72

Still a lot to do

install vintage air

install bed wood

bleed brakes again

connect tail light wiring

install headiner and trim

figure out/ install fuel filler in bed

adjust tail pipes and cut to legth since this is a universal kit for lwb or swb trucks

install seatbelts

install sway bar

find where I put the bumper bolts so I can install the front outer brackets

im sure I forgot something!
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #191
WIDESIDE72

I also need some help on the horn relay/ harness. Mine has all of he ends clipped off (?)
Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #192
WIDESIDE72

Since the Hooker exhaust would not fit my manifolds, I returned it.

Here is the message I sent to Summit Racing after I got notification that it was received there:

I recently returned items on order 5440897, the exhaust kit and mufflers. Fedex 048599615000326. It was delivered to your co. yesterday. I was wondering when the refund would be processed but also had a question regarding shipping charges. The mounting flanges were too large for my manifolds, which are oem. The kit was listed as saying it fit stock manifolds but the flages on the hooker kit were too large. I do not feel that I should not responsible for shipping costs to me or return. I spent $56 returning it due to size. How do I go about submitting the paperwork for a return shipping refund?

Their reply:

We apologize for any fitment problems with the item you ordered from us. Our records show you spoke with Bailey in our service department on 8-23-2013. He has noted he instructed you to use the prepaid USPS label included on the original invoice with the order and no return shipping would be charged or deducted. However, as a one time courtesy if you email me a copy of the return shipping receipt I would be willing to refund you half of the shipping cost back to us.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

We appreciate your business

My response:

He did say to use the label but when i went to fill it out mentioned that if it was over 70 lbs the usps would not accept it and i would have to use ups or fedex.

I will submit the return shipping invoice shortly.

Thanks for your assistance.

Their response:

Thank you for your reply.

I show that item weighed 54 pounds as we shipped it. I will await the copy of the return shipping receipt and refund you half the cost once I get it, as mentioned. We apologize for any inconvenience.

My response:

I returned the exhaust system because it didnt fit. It did not come with mufflers. I bought them separately. I had no use for the mufflers since I bought a kit from LMC truck parts (that fits) that included mufflers, so I returned them as well this took the package over the weight limit.

I should be getting a refund on the hooker exhaust kit and two mufflers. I included this information and placed the return slip per instruction on the outside of the package.

Their response:

So you are saying that the mufflers were in the same box with the exhaust system? I only show record of the mufflers being returned to us. I will have to get with our warehouse staff next week and see if they can locate the mufflers as well. As mentioned, we would be willing to refund half the shipping costs back to us if you can send me a copy of the receipt.

My response:

The exhaust system is what would not fit so it was returned. Two mufflers do not weigh 54 lbs. The box is 54"x16"x16" . That would be some big mufflers. The part number "Hok-16621hkr" was on the outside of the box. I will call someone monday. I figured this would get messed up.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #193
WIDESIDE72

I finally got my full refund from Summit today! I thought Wayne Brady was gonna hafta choke a b***h!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 09-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #194
WIDESIDE72

My brother was in town Friday and helped me bleed the brakes the "old fashion way". I have a one man beake bleeder but after using it twice thw brakes were still soft. We also got the door glass and ven window in on the ds. I decided to replace the regulator on the ps as it had two broken rollers and a bad spline/ shaft. I thought i had an extra 72 spline/ shaft but cant find it!

I still need to hook up the tail lights and get the license tags, then can take it for its makden voyage! (Still a long way to go after that, but getting it driving will feel good!)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #195
WIDESIDE72

Ran into another problem that the body shop created. They replaced the door skin on the ds and decided to make the joint even with the door lock. It looks like he didnt butt weld it as ther is a 90* flange on the inside. He cut this off where the door lock hole is, but didnt know to cut it back further so that I can get the retainer clip on! Now I have to try to cut it with a dremel tool but not burn the paint on the outside! Anyone have any ideas???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #196
WIDESIDE72

On another subject, i have a set of 2.5" drop spindles that i was thinking of putting on front to bring it down more, but im not sure the 275 60 15 tires will clear ok. If so, it will give it a rake. (It has 2.5/ 4" drop springs and sits level now) i will probably not lower the back any more, as that aould involve a c notch and more trouble. Any input from anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #197
WIDESIDE72

A little tinkering here and there, got the head and tail lights going, swapped the sliding rear rearwindow for a stocker,and took it aroind the block for its maiden voyage!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #198
WIDESIDE72

Last weekend i drove the truck about 10 miles. No problems other than getting the headlights adjusted as it was at night. I still have a ways to go since the vintage air is still about halfway done. I also need to install the bed wood and build the side marker has fill.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #199
WIDESIDE72

I have photos but my laptop died and i cant upload them with my phone. It looks like ill have to bring the old desktop pc out of hibernation!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #200
sduckworth13

First time I checked out your build and it looks awesome. Nice work.