The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2023, 08:14 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Clutch Release Bearing

Never saw anything like this. My '99 Sonoma has been real hard to shift, get in gear when stopped. The clutch seems fine. Now I learn about what these trucks have instead of a slave cylinder/throw out bearing. I guess this is a common problem having these fail. My truck has the 2.2/NV1500. I'm used to "while you're into it you might as well get a new clutch" on my 4wd trucks. But I'm thinking just replace this part for now. Am I crazy? It don't expect it to be a hard thing to pull transmission, replace the part, re-install, and bleed. Who has done this job and what do you think?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #2
CastIron

Re: Clutch Release Bearing

I did clutch on a S10 a few years ago and replaced everything. It had the same problem, hard to shift and soft clutch pedal. Bleeding it was little difficult. I'm pretty sure I had to gravity bleed it and have somebody pump the pedal to get out all the air. It helps to have proper bleeder wrench.
I generally replace a clutch if I'm going to have a manual transmission out, along with the rear main seal. If you get a kit, look for a Luk... Those are oem for a lot of GM vehicles, and they are not expensive. And they last a long time.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Clutch Release Bearing

Thanks. I see the LUK being pushed to the front in my search but no info. I could assume they are preferred for being better quality at a good price, and you confrmed that.

I have always been of the mind, "when I'm in there I'll take care of everything". But I'm thinking just the release bearing this time. After driving 8-lug 4wds all my life I see pulling the NV1500 as no big deal. The clutch is fine and no leaks. I'd like to do a lot of things in the future, like bump up the power. Right now just driving it. Once I get into playing with it I'll put a new high-performance clutch in or it will be other drivetrain

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote