The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
faun_cee

Truck cranks but does not Start... BLown head? bad carb? off timing?

I don't want to give TOO much detail, so you guys can ask me questions rather than just throwing a bunch of diagnoses at me.
-1969 250 I6; monojet carb.

here's what I know that is not right.

-Motoroil smells somewhat like gas. I read if the carb is not adjusted correctly gas can leak down. it is a rebuilt carb by me, so I wouldn't put it past me that there is something wrong with it. It was running for a while after the rebuild. How do I adjust the carb? (video link will help tremendously)

-most Spark plugs were black when I pulled them off, smelling like the motor oil/gas smell. one seemed to have rust from water in the gas tank (the tank/truck sat outside for about 15 years.)

-I think it may have a blown head simply because of sitting for so long and when i had the chance to drive it, i believe it overheated.

-I'm thinking it may be out of timing, not sure how that could have happened. How can I know?

Should I change the distributor to an HEI in the process of checking all this? or just try to get it started with the distributor it has?

Ill try to upload pictures of the spark plugs, motor oil, and points.
faun_cee is offline   Reply With Quote