The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
69 customcamper

AC system choice

I am getting ready to put together a very nice 67 C10 with an LS swap. I got the engine new with a sanden Compressor. What are peoples thoughts on best system ? I am trying to go for a stock look other than the motor so I am thinking I want to use the factory ac controls. The truck is a factory AC cab . Body shop is prepping cab. Here are questions :

1. Who makes the cleanest AC firewall panel for a truck that had factory air

2. What is everyone's choice for AC system brand ? Nostalgic Air , Old Aire, or Vintage air ? (Keep price out of this. Worried about performance)

3. Cable or electronic ? The electronic looks kind of cheap to me in photos but maybe I am being too quick to judge

Thanks !
69 customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
57larry

Re: AC system choice

I like Vintage Air. I have installed 4 units in my other cars and have no problems
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
Astro-Balls

If you have the factory AC and a Sanden compressor, that all you need, use the factory components .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
69 customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro-Balls View Post
If you have the factory AC and a Sanden compressor, that all you need, use the factory components .
I do not have anything but the factory control panel new NOS. I generally do factory on my trucks but want the cleaner look due to the LS.
69 customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
weq92f

My vote is VA, however I've no experience with the other complete replacement brands.

As for the controller options...The VA interface to the factory controller doesn't use the fan switch and so you end up with some awkward controls but they do work.

VA's 4 knob controller is what I'm running and all 4 knobs are functional, they light up nice and they look and feel solid.

VA includes what they call "cable converters" which convert your factory controller over to control the VA unit ( see above ).

I like the look of the factory controller better than the VA...but don't dig the funky controls.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
Getter-Done

I am going with Old Air.
I have the kit and if you want to see any particular part,
I could get some pics.
I am along way from the installation.
Here is 3 links that I saved about this subject.

1:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...thing+firewall

2:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=Old+Air

3:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...r+installation

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
DJStucker

Vintage Air all the way.
Greatly reduces the amount of components and it works way better. Using a Sanden with the old components is not very efficient, not to mention 134a doesn’t work well in an R-12 system and R12 is hard to come by.
Been running the VA system for years flawlessly. Only downside is you lose some glove component space, but you gain a ton of engine bay back.
DJStucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: AC system choice

Classic auto air group day and night better than any other. I have 2 of their systems in my 71 C 10 and the 56 Bel Air. Less cost than VA. They will work with you on putting a kit together for your needs.

https://www.classicautoair.com/original-air-group/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #9
Sheepdip

Vintage Air w/Electronics is way less cluttered, Just helped my son do his in his 72 about 3 months ago.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #10
tim_mc

I installed Old Air with the under dash vents. Just had it charged...works great.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
tim_mc

Glove box is usable. Thanks to my brother for painting the blower motor and firewall blockoff plates to match. Went with the electronic control...didn't want to mess with cables. Pardon the grainy dash pic...it was at night. The controller fit perfectly into the factory controls hole.
Attached Images

Last edited by tim_mc; 10-13-2019 at 11:25 PM.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
68 P.O.S.

I've had my eye on ths one.

https://www.restomodair.com/shopprod...te-a-c-system/
Old 10-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
morepwr

I have Vintage Air in my 67 and it works perfectly. Clean install and it has been in there for 4 years with zero issues. I am sure a lot of the other brands listed are good too and I would just shop around to see what's priced best.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJStucker View Post
... R12 is hard to come by....
That is just not true. R12 has been orphaned by the media hype. R12 is relatively easy to obtain. A quick look on "that auction site" show it easily available for about $32/can so $120ish for all the refrigerant you need. Even less in large quantity jugs.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
DJStucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
That is just not true. R12 has been orphaned by the media hype. R12 is relatively easy to obtain. A quick look on "that auction site" show it easily available for about $32/can so $120ish for all the refrigerant you need. Even less in large quantity jugs.
I should clarify; I think in terms of where I am at. Out here in California, it’s hard to get and most folks won’t ship it here due to the steep fines associated. Probably much easier to get in other states.

I find that the VA system I have that uses 134a works great though, and you can get 134a just about anywhere. A matter of preference I’m sure, but I was happy to upgrade to the simplicity of the VA system and no worries about where I’m going to get refrigerant.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
jennings0418

I used the VA kit with my LS swap. I kept the compressor in the factory location. Some say you will need to botch the crossmember to do so, but I made my own motor mounts so I wouldn't have to do so.
I love the clean look under the hood, the lack of stuff hanging down under the dash, and that the factory control switches are used. I've been running it for about 3 months now and I love it.
My only complaint is that they do not send an electric fan to blow across the condenser. I added that and wired it to come on when the compressor kicks on.
I also wired it into the engine harness to let the computer know when the compressor comes on.
Let me know if you want pictures and I can send you some.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
DJStucker

FYI VA also makes a Trinary pressure switch which can be used to trigger an electric fan based on pressure. This way the electric fans will run at pressure (usually longer than the compressor is on) rather than just when the compressor is on. This results in better efficiency. I installed this when I put my system together and it works great.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
ManNamedJed

I did Classic Auto air as its kit was supposed to be a bit more powerful. I am happy with it.

i posted my install notes in this thread:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=771526
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #19
dz1087

I think I remember in some other threads reading about having to block off the passenger floor air vent to install these systems. Does anyone know which kits require this? Is this something you would need to remove the cowl in order to accomplish? I've got mine off to mitigate rust on the inner cowl area and would hate to get the cowl back on just to have to remove it again to block off that vent.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
DJStucker

I have a VA system and I’m almost positive I had to block it off, but as I recall it was like a piece of vacuum formed plastic the fit in the duct above the kick panel.
I know that the system doesn’t pull in outside air, it’s strictly recirc only.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #21
jennings0418

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
I think I remember in some other threads reading about having to block off the passenger floor air vent to install these systems. Does anyone know which kits require this? Is this something you would need to remove the cowl in order to accomplish? I've got mine off to mitigate rust on the inner cowl area and would hate to get the cowl back on just to have to remove it again to block off that vent.
The VA system comes with a piece of plastic to cover the hole after you remove the factory vacuum controlled flap. You use silicone to seal it and a couple screws to hold it in place.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #22
dz1087

Okay, so it sounds like I can go ahead with getting the cowl back on before I buy the A/C system.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #23
Ken Davis

Old Air in my 72 replaced factory air works great now blows out harder at vents. Easg install.
Ken Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:12 AM   #24
Killer Bee

before you invest in an R12 system, better check the latest EPA regs, it's on it's way out..

it's enemy is not media hype, it's irresponsible use and atmospheric venting that forces regulation..

I'm no tree hugger but I'm also fully aware of where most consumer sold refrigerants end up..
Old 10-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #25
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
before you invest in an R12 system, better check the latest EPA regs, it's on it's way out..

it's enemy is not media hype, it's irresponsible use and atmospheric venting that forces regulation..

I'm no tree hugger but I'm also fully aware of where most consumer sold refrigerants end up..
R12 has been 'on it's way out' since 1993. R12 is still available for sale for about $13 a can on eBay.

I'm getting my factory A/C back together. Since I already have three cans of R12 I'll most stay with R12. R134 is not exactly environmentally friendly either.

R134 or 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane also known as norflurane, R-134a, 134a, Forane 134a, Genetron 134a, Florasol 134a, Suva 134a, or HFC-134a is haloalkane refrigerant a with thermodynamic properties similar to R-12 (dichlorodifluoromethane) but with insignificant ozone depletion potential and medium global warming potential. It is generally considered to be non flammable but shares the same flammability issues with the PAG Oil or Ester Oil lubricant used for the compressor during a catastrophic decompression. Auto Ignition Temp is 1328°F. It is also considered a testicular carcinogen. It is rumored that EPA plans a phase out to R1234-YF by encouraging the manufacturers to increase the price. As of January 2018 the EPA is requiring a 609 certification to purchase large cylinders of product. The availability of small cans for the general public remains the same at this time however the cans must have self sealing valves.

It looks like R1234-YF just might be the replacement for R134.

R1234-YF or 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene, is a hydrofluoroolefin (HFO) with the formula CH2=CFCF3. This colorless gas has been approved as a replacement for R-134a as a refrigerant in MVAC applications. Most all automotive manufacturers are switching to R1234YF as of the 2017/2018 Model year. R1234-YF has been classified as H220: Extremely Flammable in the MSDS from National Refrigerants. However ASHARE ( American Society of Heating and Air-Conditioning Engineers ) states it is mildly flammable with an A2 designation. When combined with compressor oil under pressure it becomes extremely flammable during a catastrophic decompression.

In the atmosphere, HFO-1234yf degrades to trifluoroacetic acid, which is a mildly phytotoxic strong organic acid with no known biodegradation mechanism in water. In case of fire it releases highly corrosive and toxic hydrogen fluoride and the highly toxic gas carbonyl fluoride.

Seems like no refrigerant is ideal.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote