The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
ubtripn

Has anybody ever used a modern spare tire assembly on our trucks?

I found a wrecked new truck, the kind where you lower the spare tire with a rod and crank. I took the box with the cable and the rod and I am re-welding it in place so I can suck a spare tire up against the frame. I already have a hole in my step bumper by my license plate that lines up for the rod so it should work. Has anybody else ever done this and if so anything I should watch out for? Thx.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
firedemon

Re: Has anybody ever used a modern spare tire assembly on our trucks?

I don't have one on my 67 but my ranger has one here in new York if you don't drop it and clean and lube it atleast once a year they rust solid and you have to cut them off
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I love the idea of spare tires, as I have helped many a stranded motorist and I have seen even more cars abandoned due to a flat. I have had three flats in my life and I changed each one in under 10 minutes and was out of there.

My truck is a stepside with spare tire cut out and I have heard that these under bed mountings are a nightmare without regular maintenance, failing you at the worst moment. However, if this setup will fit, you should be able to fab something up to get it to work. I think it's a great idea, leaving the bed open for hauling. Just be sure to give it a hard core cleaning, say every few months. I assume everyone on here changes their own oil, I'd think a spare tire cleaning could be added to the oil change routine.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
ubtripn

Will do. I like it much better than the swing arm set up, just lower the tire and there it is. I did have to fab to cross members for the tire to rest evenly against but no biggie. My son took welding so I gave it to him to experiment with, he got er done. I will indeed lube it regularly. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
Will do. I like it much better than the swing arm set up, just lower the tire and there it is. I did have to fab to cross members for the tire to rest evenly against but no biggie. My son took welding so I gave it to him to experiment with, he got er done. I will indeed lube it regularly. Thanks.
That's great man, I'm glad to read it. I'm a big fan of anyone that changes their own tires. These days we are much too dependent on AAA. *I have a friend who waited 45 minutes for a tow truck to come change his tire. SMH!

Welding is a great skill to have, I am glad your son knows it and that you have a son that helps his dad!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
CastIron

I know of a certain car manufacturer that used a product called Noxodul 300 to prevent the spare tire carrier cable from rusting. It's a black liquid that can be sprayed or wiped on and doesn't really dry, but gets more like wax. I imagine that would work well on a GM truck too.

http://www.noxudolusa.com/product/noxudol-300-aerosol/
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
truckster

My motorhome has a 97 Ford chassis and it has a cable hoist for the spare. I doubt it had ever been dropped before I bought it four years ago, but I haven't had any problem with it. It seems like it was made to handle the road and the weather.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
TwoFiftyShifter

I got my 97 F150 from my grandfather. He bought it new. In 2014 I decided to drop the spare down. It came down like a dream. He had never touched it before.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
Overdriven

If the spare tire unit uses a cable it's more likely to remain free without much maintenance, if the cable is plastic coated then you're really golden. The older ones that used a chain are the ones that seize up bad after they get wet a few times let alone smell road salt.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #10
MusicMan70

This unit came out of a late 80"' Toyota PU. I'd heard "story's" about the GM cable type snapping(?)
It uses a keyed rod to lower and lift and I put it in my Suburban.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
ubtripn

Wow-perfect fit.

Yeah I am very lucky to have a son who is in to building not buying as he puts it. =)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
firefighterchevy

Talking Re: Has anybody ever used a modern spare tire assembly on our trucks?

I used one under my 69 C10. It came from an 88-98 Chevy pickup, so it is the cable style. All I added was a piece of angle iron between the frame rails and used the existing cross brace. I drilled two holes for the bolts to pass through and one on each end of the angle iron to the frame.
I have noticed that some of the "hooks" on these that go through the wheel are of different design. I don't remember what year I removed the carrier from, bit I ended up putting an extension on the hook, since the hub hole on my stock steel wheel was bigger than the OEM hook.
I have heard of the cable breaking and the tire falling out from under the pickup as well. I experienced this myself on my 92 Chevy K1500, however, I feel it may have been a little self induced. I don't suggest cutting into a ditch at near highway speeds to go fox hunting in the dark of night, especially when you forget there's a large dip in the bottom to play Fall Guy from
Old 07-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
I got my 97 F150 from my grandfather. He bought it new. In 2014 I decided to drop the spare down. It came down like a dream. He had never touched it before.
Did he live where it snows four months out of the year and the roads are coated in salt?
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #14
ubtripn

Lol. I will remember that.