The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #1076
Low Elco

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Good workin'! One foot in front of the other... As for the rest, tomorrow's another day.

Look up Probot-Shake Your Blood. It'll do ya good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #1077
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glad to see the progress and thankful the battery issue didn't turn out bad...
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #1078
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Look up Probot-Shake Your Blood. It'll do ya good.
Posted via Mobile Device
That was good. Me likey. Try this one...

I'm gonna try and see Everclear this friday in Mankato. They are playing the ribfest party there. Pretty sure I can find some beer to go with the ribs and banging metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Glad to see the progress and thankful the battery issue didn't turn out bad...
Glad to see you checking in. Sounds like you have very limited time lately.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1079
Bomp

Turned it up and broke the knob off.

Genie gave me 3 wishes.
1. life time supply of beer
2. dump truck load of money
3. Wish I was a pole.

Sweet Vid
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #1080
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Turned it up and broke the knob off.

Genie gave me 3 wishes.
1. life time supply of beer
2. dump truck load of money
3. Wish I was a pole.

Sweet Vid
I laughed out loud at #3. Good thing I wasn't drinking something I would've shorted out my laptop.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #1081
Low Elco

Heh, heh. Love me some THC. Kinda need it today, thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #1082
Low Elco

PS- don't forget the drag boat, Bomp. Gotta have a drag boat.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #1083
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

First things first, ribfest was excellent. I took my oldest girl since she came home for that and maybe work next week. We had ribs (and other stuff) from Texas Thunder and Big Boned BBQ. Had the Texas Thunder first and thought it was outstanding. Then had Big Boned BBQ later and it was even better. Everclear was actually disappointing, but the opener before them was a band called LeoGun from out of London and we both really liked them. Kinda sound like the Black Keys if your familiar with them. And there was Alaskan Amber on tap.

But to get my thoughts off my personal problems I went to the garage today. It was slow getting going, finding motivation, but as the morning wore on I found some enthusiasm and progress started building.

First I drained the tranny and got the pan off. Not sure it was leaking, but whatever, it had to come off to get the other things fixed. First I installed the new kickdown cable. No real issues with that. Then the shifter seal. That was a bit of a pain. Getting the shaft out just requires removing the shifter linkage and removing 1 nut inside to remove the internal linkage. The hard part was getting that stupid tiny seal out of the hole. Its the size of a nickel and the lip of the seal would just bend and tear. I ended up using a scribe and tapping into the side and forcing the seal inward. Which resulted in a gouge in the hole where the seal rests.

I sanded it and cleaned it up with some brake cleaner, put a dad of silicone in the damaged spot and drove in the new seal. I think the seal is in deeper than the gouge and I'm really not too concerned with that part leaking. The shaft itself was a bit rough where the seal rests though and that was a concern. So I fit it into my 1/2" drill press to spin it while I used some 400 grit, then 1000 grit paper to clean it up.

Before...

Yeah the threads were a bit messed up too. I used a die to clean them up also.

After...

That went together alright but I gotta tell you, working under there with the tranny dripping almost the whole time kinda sucked. And theres a shaft that slides back and forth inside there which is tied to the shifter linkage. A little too far either way and fluid pours out of the valve body. Nasty mess. I didn't eat any, but had a few drips near my eyes and in my hair.

The last area of concern was the dipstick tube. Again, don't know if it was a leak source or not, but I was gonna pull it, clean it, check the o-ring and put a dab of silicone on anyway. That was the plan. Didn't work out though. I could NOT get the bolt out that holds the dipstick. Its one of the tranny to motor bolts and I must've been eating spinach and wheaties the day I put that together. I let it stay as is. Main reason is that the pan doesn't have to come back off to fix it. If I can get the stupid tight bolt out I can fix it later, if it leaks. It didn't.

I cleaned up the tranny gasket surface and then used some 400 grit paper to make sure it was smooth. I put a small bead of silicone on that area. Put a dot of silicone on the corners of the pan gasket seating area to hold the gasket in place and got the pan back on. Nice piece from Rausch Racing on their ebay store $42 shipped I think.

I was about to put the fluid back in and remembered the tranny cooler wasn't connected yet, so I took the time to get that done, which was as simple as connecting some rubber hose to the proper lines and tightening the clamps. Now the tranny fluid could go back in.

Fired it up and let it run a bit, added more fluid and then went for a short but very sweet cruise. Down the alley, up the street to the body shop to show off my progress (weekends they work on personal projects, like repairables, etc.) My boy saw me pull out of the garage and begged for the chance to drive it. When I got done with show and tell and got it back to the driveway he came running out. I said take it down the alley and back (no insurance). He gets back and coolant is dumping out of it like crazy.

Cripes that boy looks big in those pics. He's about an inch or more taller than me now and thick as a tree. Anywho, He kills it and I get it back in the driveway, pop the hood and see the upper radiator hose is hanging loose. Just didn't have the clamp tight enough. Not enough wheaties and spinach that day. Fixed that, refilled the radiator. Everythings good to go. I didn't do much more than clean most of the crap out of it and blew dust out with a leaf blower.

But I had been noticing that my old burnout marks in the driveway were getting too faded for my liking so I did a little touch up...

Running pretty strong. No problem turning over the 32" tire. It is just 1 at a time so not super impressive, but I do love me some smokey burnouts.

And so far so good on tranny leaks.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 08-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1084
Bomp

Smokey burnout
Your a better man than me..,,, I can't stands the tranny drippin in me hairs while under a rig.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #1085
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Smokey burnout
Your a better man than me..,,, I can't stands the tranny drippin in me hairs while under a rig.
I don't know about "better", but when my job requires crawling through boilers, getting dirty just doesn't bother me much. Except when stuff is falling in my face. That bugs the bejeebers out of me and you will hear lots of old sailor talk and see some awkward squirming around if you're around me when it happens. It never fails that when something falls around my eyes that my hands are nasty grimy and there isn't a clean rag within reach.

But its time to go scrub that stuff out of my hair.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #1086
Low Elco

I love when it drops perfectly in your open eye. Doink! Much sailor talk! Progress looks good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #1087
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

2 words:

DIPSTICK

LEAK!

GAAAGGHHHH!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #1088
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not messing with the underneath red fluid drip at this time.

Instead I continued doing what needs to be done in order to spray color on this ***** soon. So that means more sanding, but wet sanding, which I don't hate as much as dry sanding, which I hate like rusty grit falling in my eyes. I had been spraying a few spots with more primer and scuffing through it repeatedly. Finally got enough on there to stay put. I pulled the Jimmy out to the driveway.

I guess I shouldn't say pulled, I actually drove it, but before parking in the driveway I was throwing gravel rooster tails down the alley.

I needed to sand the new primer spots and the driver side of the bed. Ended up wet sanding the entire truck again, which wasn't so bad, cause it had already been done. I just noticed some gritty feeling on already sanded areas, probably from overspray, maybe just dirty, but I just did it all again.

Then I washed it. Got it as clean as I could with a mild car wash soap. And that's how it sits right now. I think it's ready to tape off and spray. Well, other than wax/grease remover, paint prep stuff anyway. Don't want a bunch of fish eyes. So here she is in all her spotted glory and I hope these are the last pics I ever post of it like this.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #1089
71swb4x4

Looking good!!! When do you hope to spray?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #1090
Bomp

Start flingin' paint already!

Check list:
Paint gun................check
Loud rockin music.....check
Beer.......................check and double check
Faaalingin' paint........and check
Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #1091
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Looking good!!! When do you hope to spray?
I could maybe do it next weekend, IF I can get time in the booth.

Quote:
Start flingin' paint already!

Check list:
Paint gun................check
Loud rockin music.....check
Beer.......................check and double check
Faaalingin' paint........and check
Yeah, something like that, except you forgot the part about taping, and that my friend is a time consuming process. And I gotta find my wiper parts to spray also. And I hope I'm not forgetting something else. This is the point where I start second guessing myself.

Uhg, time for the mantra again...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1092
Dale99

I cant find my trans leak, so I feel you on the red drip. At least I found my t-case leak.
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #1093
Dale99

back on post #936 you gave me some hitch info. I finally got that exact hitch. I was wondering if you could get me some pics of how its mounted to your frame, and maybe some hole dimensions referenced from some spot on the frame?
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1094
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Your progress is looking great! I feel ya on the dripping tranny fluid! It drives me to be a pissed bitty when it gets on my glasses and or in my eye. It was nice meeting you last week and talking with ya. I've enjoyed peeking in your projects and tinkerings. Thank ya! Did you score any pump stuff?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #1095
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
back on post #936 you gave me some hitch info. I finally got that exact hitch. I was wondering if you could get me some pics of how its mounted to your frame, and maybe some hole dimensions referenced from some spot on the frame?
I'll see what I can do for ya. Shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Your progress is looking great! I feel ya on the dripping tranny fluid! It drives me to be a pissed bitty when it gets on my glasses and or in my eye. It was nice meeting you last week and talking with ya. I've enjoyed peeking in your projects and tinkerings. Thank ya! Did you score any pump stuff?
I got a mobil pump sign for my pump, and a couple other things. My favorite was this sign though (it should read "self trained")...

The rest of my stuff

Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #1096
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Inching ever closer to the big day. Maybe we need to name it, like a holiday, or a National Day or something. How about Faaaalinging the Gold Day, or I Never Thought This Day Would Come Day, or Bout Freakin Time Day or Paint Your Beater Day. I don't know. I'm just running on a few hours sleep and paint/thinner fumes.

Anywho, I found the wiper parts, and remembered to get the tailgate edge strip out, and sprayed color on the bed rails. I might end up re-spraying the top of the rails just so the paint edge line is not so obvious. I'll at least sand it down a bit to blend it.

Next I will either install those wiper parts and get the cowl bolted down and shimmed, or save the wiper stuff til later when I know I have all the parts and instead I'll start wiping it down with grease/wax cleaner and taping the all the edges I already painted. Still aiming at this weekend for the big day. It could end either elated or disgusted. I think I can do this though. Pretty sure.

Pics...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #1097
Bomp

Paint is lookin good man.
Everytime I get on this page I have to stop and watch that "turn it up" video

Happy Flingin Weekend
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #1098
Low Elco

I dig the signs!

Just relax and shoot. Have several beers around and just sip on one as you go, it helps with nerves. You've done this before, it's just bigger. The biggest thing is, don't forget the edges. Get that gun clear under and past the edges. between coats, take a flashlight and get way down under there to where you feel like an idiot and look, you'll be surprised what you miss. Make sure you have enough materials. Definitely clear decks for all day and into the night. The main round on Yeller was 3 base and 3 clear and took about 4-5 hours of mix and shoot time. Don't forget to sand/scuff ALL THE WAY to the edges. If you can, get an experienced guy to help tape and bag it, it's not that hard. You'll do fine. I wish I was there to help, it's fun. Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #1099
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Paint is lookin good man.
Everytime I get on this page I have to stop and watch that "turn it up" video

Happy Flingin Weekend
I'll make sure to post it again when it flips to the next page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I dig the signs!

Just relax and shoot. Have several beers around and just sip on one as you go, it helps with nerves. You've done this before, it's just bigger. The biggest thing is, don't forget the edges. Get that gun clear under and past the edges. between coats, take a flashlight and get way down under there to where you feel like an idiot and look, you'll be surprised what you miss. Make sure you have enough materials. Definitely clear decks for all day and into the night. The main round on Yeller was 3 base and 3 clear and took about 4-5 hours of mix and shoot time. Don't forget to sand/scuff ALL THE WAY to the edges. If you can, get an experienced guy to help tape and bag it, it's not that hard. You'll do fine. I wish I was there to help, it's fun. Good Luck!
Thanks for the tips. I wish you were here to help too. The main reason I have nerves on this is my paint choice. Its about the worst possible option for a beginning painter. Lots of pearl, light color, tons of flake. It could turn out good, but I'm worried its going to be blotchy. I figured I would spray 3 coats minimum as long as I have enough paint, which based on what I've done so far should be ok. I can see some blotchiness on my inner doors now in the sun. Not terrible, but noticable. But my tailgate looked alright, so I have some confidence.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #1100
Low Elco

The trick is, it's a lot like clearing. Turn your air pressure up a bit (you have a gun mounted regulator, right?), turn your fan as big as it'll go, and stay a bit farther off. Your first round should barely cover and be blotchy. Id go 3-4 rounds, and alternate directions between them. go <> then up-down, esp. on the hood. Id go straight, then 45 deg on the sides. Uniformity is important, mind your overlaps. Most importantly, DON"T STOP. It's like clear, if you pause you get a run or blob or sag, if you do it with this, you get a blotch. Even if you know you messed up, don't stop, you can always fix it on the next round. But mostly relax. Keep telling yourself, it's just paint. Not even expensive paint. It's just paint. Relax and enjoy the process. get out the lights and make sure its good before you clear it. It'll be fine.