The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
three80three

Red face broken rocker arm stud

Whats up guys well it finally happened I was having trouble with my rockerarm on the #3 cylinder but I found out that the valve tip had a hump very small not noticeable to the eyes so I took a small buffing wheel and straighten it out and a different type of rocker on it, well that solved that issue. A few weeks later im driving and noticed a change in the idle I pull the valve covers off and find the #7 rocker has slid off the valve tip I got to change it like I did the other one and noticed that the stud was cut halfway through, thinking I fix the problem with a new rocker and lock screw the stud snaps off so now what do I do I'm at a standstill please help.
Attached Images

three80three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Old Truck Man

Re: broken rocker arm stud

Remove heads. take heads to machine shop. Have machine shop install screw in studs.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
DBD

yah, I can't think of an easy way to get that out at this point. you could try to weld something to it so you could pull it the rest of the way out...but I think you'll just end up doing a lot of screwing around for nothing.

once the shop gets it out you can pull and replace the rest at home if you want to - it doesn't take much to do it - just a tool, a tap and some studs.
DBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
three80three

Well it looks like I wont have to take them to the shop after all my brother had some head that came off his motor after building his 350 with ported heads new bigger valves and springs with aluminum 1.5 roller rockers, he found 2 hair line cracks in the oil galley of his motor so when he called and told me to come get him and lets go to the track I told him my problem and he told me to come and get the heads and everything but the only problem is I have never installed roller rockers.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

With the cam you have you can't run stock rockers. You need either long slot rockers with roller tips or full on roller rockers. So these heads that you lucked in to from your brother should help. They will help even more if they aren't 305 heads.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
meatwagon83

i told you this was going to happen
Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i told you this was going to happen
Pretty much. Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
three80three

Okay , okay quit saying I told you so, you guys were right and the heads I have now are something he called double hump or camel hump I don't know but any si ce I haven't taken pics to post I'll describe the rockers, they are an aluminum color maybe silver in the middle the piece rotates and they have a wheel on the back with the number 1.5 on them and they have something called poly locks my problem is how to adjust them I'm sure its not the same as the stock ones. So with the new and improved heads what type of performance should I e expecting to get?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
geezer#99

Wow!! Unknown new heads!
Bigger valves, roller rockers, poly locks and ported too!
An increase of at least 10 hp!!
Or a complete waste of time and a total loss of compression and a decrease of 100 hp.
You get the drift??
What heads?
What cc's?
What's the intake flow?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
three80three

I don't know honestly I just know that the valves aren't stock nor the springs and the heads have been ported and I'm not saying that you guys weren't right but I had to learn from my own mistakes and now that I see things working the you explained, I listen from now on because I syill have a lot to learn and I appreciate all information . I noew need to know how to adjust the roller rockers with intake off I was told its easier that way
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
meatwagon83

have them machined for screw in studs and at least look for a casting number on them
Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
meatwagon83

are you sure they are camel humps? i didnt think any camel humps had accessory holes in them, also i think i see a 882 casting number which i dont think is a camel hump
Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
DBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by three80three View Post
I noew need to know how to adjust the roller rockers with intake off I was told its easier that way
roller rockers are the same as any rocker for adjustment, but you have to be careful that the valvetrain geometry is right and the roller is in the center of the valve...need a measuring pushrod to do that along with either a solid lifter or some checking springs. once you have the right pushrod length then it works like any other rocker and hydraulic cam. need to check all the clearances too...

lots of smart folks on here...none of this stuff is "bolt on" - you have to know what you're doing to keep from making scrap...
DBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
three80three

Im not sure what type of heads they are but buddy of mine said the same thing something about 882s either way they're 350 heads and not 305 and figure with the aftermarket springs and valves and the rockers I'm doing a WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN before.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
Old Truck Man

Some one needs to take that cam shaft and beat some common sense into you with it. and those are not double hump heads. likely late model open chamber heads that will lower compression. starting a different thread wont solve your engine problems. Using mismatched Not compatible componets and expecting phenominal performance is a recipie for disaster.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
three80three

Maybe somebody does need to hit me with the cam and then explain to me how to adjust my rockers because I see all your gonna do is complain about nothing, I honestly don't see whats wro g with the setup I have I understand the 305 heads were a mistake but man whats wrong with the ones I have now I don't know if there camel giraffe zebra or what there competable if you're not going to help go to another thread why are following me.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
geezer#99

Settle down grasshopper!!
You know what happened last time you got noisy.
Nothin' wrong with the new heads. Bolt them on, run the valves like normal.
Use the rockers if you want. Once they're adjusted the set screw locks them into place.
I'd sell those fancy rockers and just use your old set though.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
three80three

Have a sense of humor remember? Thats what im trying to do I wasn't being to harsh was I? If so I apologize, I know that you vuys ars more experienced in this me I'm learning and I appreciate all the info hopefully I'll be as good as you guys soon .
Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
three80three

The old ones? Why the factory bs I thought the rollers would perform better???????? And I have 2 sets of pushrods 1 set has the ball on the top and the others don't which set to use ?????? I would like to learn how to adjust my rockers without cranking the motor that ways to messy I seen a guy do them with the intake off.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #20
truckdude239

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...zuBXK4EhrVdpRQ

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #21
geezer#99

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...raulic_lifters
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #22
cableguy0

Those heads are nothing special. You should not run roller rockers without screw in studs and guide plates. That lesson costs about 700 bucks. Any performance head will have screw in studs and guideplates. It doesn't matter if a machine shop ported them or you bought a set of dart heads. Its all the same. Roller rockers and a big cam with heavy springs will rip those studs out of those heads in short order. Its a lot cheaper to spend more money in the first place to do it right. Im really not trying to hurt your feeling or rain on your parade. I had to learn a lot of things by coughing up stacks of hundred dollar bills. Its a lot cheaper to listen to free advice being given by some smart guys.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If those are indeed 882 castings they will have ~76cc chambers. If you have flat top pistons that will give you around 9:1 static compression. Then if you figure in your big cam, your dynamic compression will be way too low.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If those are indeed 882 castings they will have ~76cc chambers. If you have flat top pistons that will give you around 9:1 static compression. Then if you figure in your big cam, your dynamic compression will be way too low.
Its not bad enough that he wants to use too much cam. Now he is installing ported heads with larger combustion chambers to further increase the incompatability. The way I understand it this is a street engine. Why build a street engine with a hodge podge of hish RPM race componets. And all on a 307 small cube engine. So when something isn't designed to work together fails he starts a new thread. Why a New Thread? Until he pulls that cam and installs something streetable that engine will never give service. I don't care that his buddy has the same setup and it runs like gangbusters. What I will suggest is he obtain a copy of Smokey Unicks book on building the small block chevy and read it three times before he ever turns another bolt.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
three80three

You know someone on this site told me that you have to have a sense of humor and I do but you know what kills me the most? I'm a 18 year old kid (young man) this is my first build and honestly I'm proud of it but what kills me the most is that there are people here who seem to have nothing better to do than spit negativity all around this site , then there are others who say " hey regardless to to what he's doing lets help" and those are the people who should be able to speak. I didn't send you a private message asking for help and I feel like those who have nothing positive to say shouldn't have anything to say knowbody is forcing you to make a comment on my problem so why don't you just save your negativity for someone who cares let me spend my money the way I want and we'll all get along here .