The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #76
that_red_c10

Re: URGENT! Major problem! Need assistance!

Hey sorry everyone ive been so busy with school i couldnt do anything, and im finally back under the car. I captured a video. It will be on youtube in a bit. Could help a lot more figuring out the problem. Not going to take it out yet because i dont jave time today, i have a band performance soon.. It will come put tomorrow if it doesnt rain
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Convertible 3.1L V6
1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible Marc Cross Edition
that_red_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #77
ptc

I didnt read the whole thread and somebody may have clued you into this already but your first video sounds like the starter isnt engaging enough into the flywheel, by one of many ways. Either the bendix is gone (its justa spring that wears out), the gear is stripped, or the flywheel teeth are stripped or your starter bolts just came loose! ..... if it was working fine the day before and all of a sudden you have a problem, I would bet on something came loose.

Dont mess with anything on top of your motor, it has nothing to do with the problem.... its the starter or flywheel... good luck!
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #78
that_red_c10

Yes i know, and thank you! I posted a video just now on youtube showing the area by the starter, heres the link. http://youtu.be/4jQ8Khx2MUM
Old 03-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #79
KEL
72 GMC

Flywheel looks fine.
Sounds like the Bendix drive in the starter is tired.
If you don't know how to replace the Bendix drive,
it might be easier to replace the starter.
Neither is real difficult.
My opinion, for what its worth.
Good luck.

Members I have met :
2014.02.01: bruceman1968, Mr Handy, colgad, RenoKeene, CaptRMW
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #80
that_red_c10

Thank you! When i get it out i will post a picture
Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #81
Cape Codder

The time you spent taking that video and posting it is enough time to have gotten the starter out. Just replace the starter and be driving the thing.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #82
that_red_c10

Alright well, there's one more reason I didn't take it out yesterday, I felt too embarrassed to say it considering everyone here could do it themselves, but I'm not sure if I am strong enough to hold it from falling when I unbolt it. I almost never get the chance to go under and work on a car, and I was just afraid that I was going to break it even more, if not hurt myself... I'm pretty new to working on cars, considering this is my own project. I've wanted to ask for help from my family but every time I do they are always busy and can't help. I'm definetly going to try Monday to see if someone can help. I just felt so embarrassed to say that... I also still had other things to do when I took the video, after I took that I had to run inside and take a shower, eat, then get ready and leave for my concert... they wanted me there and hour early.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #83
that_red_c10

I just deal with problems often where I feel that if I say something like this people will go after me and bring me down.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #84
that_red_c10

by the way thank you KEL and ptc
Old 03-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #85
Cape Codder

when you have some free time ,disconnect the neg. bat. terminal,remove the wires to the starter ,remove the two bolts that are staring you in the face and lower it down. It weighs about 5 lbs. A second person would be in the way. If you do get help you can lower the starter first and have the helper undo the wires as you hold the starter. It is really only a 15 minute job. Did you check to see if the two bolts holding it up are tight?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #86
that_red_c10

They seemed to be tight with my strength, just in case i will try again though when im back from my dads house. The truck isnt out here. Only reason i was worried was that i was told its about 30/40 lbs
Old 03-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #87
Possmguts

Don't worry so much about what people say. I know your really young and just don't know what you're doing yet and you feel like you may break something, but when you don't have someone to help you out or show you how do make repairs it can be intimidating to say the least. But the only way you're going to learn anything is with a hands on approach. Take pictures of where things go before taking them off so you can look back at them when you're putting stuff back together.

The main and most important thing to replacing ANYTHING electrical like the starter is UNHOOK the battery first. Like I said, take pics or where the wires go so you dont get it wrong.
Something I do when not sure on something is I watch a youtube video. Almost ANYTHING you ever want to see is on there.
Start here https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...on+chevy+truck
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Take note at how hard it is to loosen bolts so you get a feel for how tight to put them back on. PB Blaster is your friend when breaking rusted bolts loose. Spray it on and let it sit. Sometimes on really rusty bolts let it soak for a day or so and keep spraying them. Counter clockwise to loosen, and clockwise to tighten. On rare occasions its reverse order but on the starter its Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty....

Good Luck

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #88
that_red_c10

Thank you man. I appreciate it. I will watch the video in a few minutes. I now know to unhook the battery thank god lol, and hopefully i should be able to get under there monday and finally fix it. But like ive said, i need a jackstand because i cant fit comepletely under it. I fit next to it, but its in an odd position to take out from where i do fit
Old 03-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #89
hamjet

Block the truck well before getting under it..
Old 03-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #90
that_red_c10

Ok, i will. Ill make sure its sturdy before i go under there. I have multiple types of jackstands, but my step brother has them and hes always busy so i can never get them
Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #91
Cape Codder

By loose I mean loose enough so the starter can be moved or wiggled around. As far as experience repairing cars or trucks it starts when you put a wrench to them. Good luck and don't be afraid to work on it or you will never learn.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #92
Possmguts

Whats the verdict? Did you get it fixed?

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #93
mooseboy84

Someone mentioned it on the first page, but I dont know if you have done this yet... is the battery fully charged? When a battery is worn down, it will make that grinding noise just like that and get progressively slower and worst until theres not enough current.

2ndly, It most likely is the starter. If you look closely, you can see the starter flexing when youre cranking in the second video you posted.

A lot of guys rebuild starters etc, but for the money, less than $35 should get you a new rebuilt starter from Oriellys/autozone with a warranty.

3rd, when you get a new starter, you will need PROPER BOLTS. Starter bolts are "knurled" to prevent flexing so much. Looking at the video of the starter, you have two different bolts. Im not sure if theyre knurled but you should replace them.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chev...es-220898.html
That link shows the starter bolts and a starter brace.

4. You need to shim the starter, for the least amount of grinding. This really is a PITA, and there's no way of doing it without spending time on your back switching out shims until it doenst grind, or has "minimial" to barely any grinding. I dont know any tips, I spent countless hours messing around and it always had a very "slight" grinding noise, but I at least got it to the point I wasnt afraid my flexpate would break teeth off.

5. You should get a brace. For your starter, if you go with that style (GM) you need a brace to help minimize flexing. The crappy part is, there are 2 types of braces, small flex 153 and larger 168tooth 14" flexplate braces. It looks like you need the one for the 14" starter, or sometimes the BBC. The BBC starter braces will fit. Go to ebay and to find one and consult this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492532

6. Lastly, I would consider getting a heat shield. I had the worst hell trying to shim my starter (those things weigh a good 15lbs with 1 hand on your back in dim light) and I got it to cold crank/start fine. BUT I would have problems with BAD grinding after the truck had been running a while,-- and was having heat soak issues. The heat soak made the truck grind like it wasnt shimmed properly and I always was afraid I may break the damn flexplate teeth. Anyway, a heat sheild from speedway motors fixed it. They all look the same pretty much, but the speedway one I know works with defualt starters. That was another PITA to install, but once I got it on, I could finally drive the truck with confidence.

You may want to invest in an after market high torque mini starter, because they are alot lighter and easier to install, but if you use a default chevy style classic starter, you need proper bolts+Shimed+brace+heatshield.
mooseboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #94
Madipie03

No reason to be embarrassed. Everyone on here started where your at. Lots of people know more than I do on here. Its a good thing. Just get after it and don't quit. Then you can help the next guy with a similar problem. I'm rooting for you!
Madipie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #95
ole dollor

just get-er-done .......
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #96
no1udknow

This job requires less brains and more ball sack... just climb umder there and stop making excuses. The guys here have given you non stop instructions. Have a little faith in yourself. This is a minor excursion in ownership of this vehicle, but if you don't try you wont succeed. It's a tough piece of equipment with a lot of available parts. Get under there and experiment, your not going to hurt anything. I'll give you a little advice my instructor at mechanics school gave me " it's not rocket science and if you can figure out how to chat with your friends via a mobile device, you can fix this because I garuntee this is less complicated".
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #97
that_red_c10

Sorry everybody. Ive been so caught up with schoolwork and other things recently that i couldnt really do much. I found out my problem, and its definetly the starter, but its a totally different reason. The starter isn't even the correct one to match this motor/transmission. Its too small. The bendix are only covers about a 1/4 or a 1/2 of the flywheel, and now its all ground down. It just started snowing today so now I'm going to wait till this snow melts again, and im going to find the right one i need. I will take a look out for those bolts, i see what you mean. I will probably be going down next week to pick up a new starter that is the right size unless schoolwork holds me down. Im really sorry to everyone whos waiting thinking, "whens he gonna get it out already and be done with it". But i have just had so much to do, and so much to deal with. I'm deeply sorry. Im not going to come back to this thread until the starter is out, unless i need it for a reference to do something. I will see you all when its out. Thank you all again for your help. I know im a hard person to understand, but im not going to give up. I will do this. It may happen soon, it may not. But i can promise it'll definetly be done when the time is available. Plus, my step dad has wanted to work on the truck with me for awhile now and hes been busy with so many things. And in the next week or two he will be free from everything hes been busy with and he wants to help me, so i will wait for him. We don't get to bond much so this could be a good start to do it. Again thanks everyone, sorry if this passage is confusing and doesnt make sense, im not great in english class haha!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #98
72_K10_Vegas

Sir,
I have followed the wealth of good advice and time spent by members here to resolve you of your difficulties. First, I am a member of few posts but much time spent searching. Any question you have asked, has been answered by many upstanding members.

However I do see the essentialness of an immediate answer, and direct you to my opening sentence.

I have , as a matter of personal discretion, and as a result of searching and reviewing all the excellent answers here on this site, only forwarded questions to the august body of this membership when I had the discretionary funds to execute the same.

Perhaps this seems a technical response in nature, and mayhaps a response not in tune with your age or station in life, but if I could offer a bit of advice. This advice I found elsewhere on this site. Research and read the advice of previous posts before cluttering my good reads of today.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #99
no1udknow

72_K10_Vegas has valid points. "that_red_c10" I understand you are young, but in the big scheme of things you are only hurting yourself. I feel like you are waiting for someone to offer to come over and fix it for you, and that is not what most of us are about, especially for young folks like you. We want to see these trucks and this hobby of old classics live on, but that can't happen if young people aren't willing to dive in head first and learn from their mistakes. The title of this thread is "URGENT:" yet you state you have been too busy with school and whatever else. It has become clear this matter is in fact not "URGENT" otherwise you wouldn't have been sitting on your hands for the past few weeks while the wonderful people of this board pour knowledge into your cup. We all have other obligations, I work full time, married with 2 kids in diapers, and I attend online college at night.... I still make time to work on my truck. I have to to keep my sanity. If it was my daily driver, I would have to make it a priority. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but maybe this hobby/truck is not for you, at this time in your life anyways, you may need a newer turn-key vehicle. I hope that's not the case, but it sounds like a possibility. Good luck to you.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #100
Cape Codder

4 pages and the starter isn't out yet? How much do you want for the truck?