The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
66Z71

Another Crewcab build

Or 2-1/2 trucks
It comes down to either selling my '62 SWB, or turning it into something usefull. I have enough toys and projects, this has to be practical. Currently I have an Suburban with a 454 that we use for towing, and hauling the kids to school. The pickup that hauls garbage on the weekends, and two cars for the the wife and me to drive to work.

The plan is to build a crew cab 4x4 that will pull the car trailer, take the kids to school, take the family up the mountains in the winter, and be a semi-daily driver. I picked up a '77 3/4 ton long bed 4x4 for the frame and running gear. I have my '62 short wide 1/2 ton that will give up its cab & bed. And I picked up a '66 cab, I'm getting tired of hitting my knees getting in and out of the truck.

The two biggest challanges I think are going to be joining the cabs together to get a pleasing B pillar, and not getting drawn into making this more than a practical work truck (I already saw a build with an Impala dash that I really liked). The whole 4x4, and frame swap will be lots of work, but its all pretty straight forward. I've been looking at crew cab conversions for years, and still haven't seen the perfect one. The best I've seen has suicide rear doors.

But as my daughter says, it would be a pain whenever they wanted to get in or out, and I've heard of creaking noises in newer pickups with those doors because of the huge opening they have. So I would prefer seperate doors, but with a nice narrow B pillar. I think the solution is going to be to straighten it, so both the front and rear door are vertical. I'll post more pics later of where I'm at.
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote