The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Donbarnes

Windshield Questions?

I called my local Registers Auto Glass this morning, had good luck with them in the past and they do a lot of classic car work. They recommend Steele if I need a new gasket, says they've had problems with Precision in the past- But most of the older posts on here believe Precision is the supplier for Steele and they just mark it up..Is that still the case? He also said he can request a Pilkington or PPW when ordering a new windshield, but they would probably all be Chinese and no way of knowing which one they would send him? This is for a 72 with the stainless trim..thanks..
Donbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Windshield Questions?

-
I have always used Precision gaskets and have never had a problem. I have installed at least 7 windshields with and without trim..... I also use the tinted and shaded replacement windshields and have only had a problem with one of them. My suppiler replaced it with no hassle. I only use original stainless trim, no aftermarket.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Donbarnes

Thanks.. I broke the old windshield up yesterday trying to save the old gasket, but I don't think its going to work, seems pliable enough, but it seems a little mis-shapen from having glue/rust/sealers under it over the years. Was also a little surprised at how much the glass brok e up into long dangerous splinters..like the glue layer in the middle didn't help much.. Does the seam sealer on top of the cab on these ever fail enough to cause leaks?
Donbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbarnes View Post
Thanks.. I broke the old windshield up yesterday trying to save the old gasket, but I don't think its going to work, seems pliable enough, but it seems a little mis-shapen from having glue/rust/sealers under it over the years. Was also a little surprised at how much the glass brok e up into long dangerous splinters..like the glue layer in the middle didn't help much.. Does the seam sealer on top of the cab on these ever fail enough to cause leaks?

Sometimes the seals work, sometimes they don't.

40 years of UV rays does funny stuff to glass sometimes.

Yes the seam sealer dries out and pulls away from the metal or cracks and they leak at all of the body joints. Reseal all of them around the windshield.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
GR8-68

I have precision gaskets when I put in my glass after restore, I have used them before with great success

For the cost I don't believe it is worth the effort or risk to try and reuse a 40 some year old gasket

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
davepl

Guys at the local installer told me they HATED the Precision gasket but couldn't get anything else and made it work. They also said they have done "hundreds" in their lifetime but hadn't done one of these trucks in a number of years, so it doesn't sound like it's current news on the gaskets either.

This was a shop that's run by two guys for 40 years, so they did a ton of them in the day, and whatever biases were true about glass and gaskets in the 70s and 80s has likely carried over!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote